Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Block Bilt "STAR" History

ft

New in Town
Hello all!
I was hoping someone here might have a little knowledge in regards to the history of "Block Bilt". More specifically the CHP horsehide motorcycle jackets they produced in the 40's - 50's under the "Star" brand name.
All I have been able to find out is from the book "Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design" by Rin Tanaka. There I found that "Block Bilt" was primarily a premier saddle manufacturer but were regarded as one of the oldest and finest leather jacket manufacturers in Los Angeles during that time. It also states they disappeared around 1960 and has a positive footnote from Clif "The Dusty Bandit" Majhor stating that they made the best MC jackets in LA prior to WWII.
I now own one and it is one fine jacket. Rare or obscure I'm not sure but the "Google" search is coming up empty.

Thanks,
AJ

ft

New in Town
It looks as though Rin Tanaka's association of "Block-Bilt" and the "Star Glove" company may be incorrect. I have been told that several major jacket collectors do not agree with him on that point. Still I am unable to find much more information than that.
I did hear from one collector that has owned a couple of the CHP horsehide jackets that "Star Glove" manufactured and he seems to share my opinions in regards to the high quality of the hides that were used. I recently obtained the one I have and I am thoroughly impressed with it. I'm just wondering if anyone else here owns one and has an opinoin to share? Or for that matter any historical information on the "Star Glove" company?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran