Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First Post - Gold Label Brooks Jacket

JohnnyKnuckles

New in Town
Hello FL,

I've been reading and enjoying the forum for a bit of time and thought I'd finally officially sign up and participate.

I'm relatively new to the vintage world of leather jackets but am loving the journey of learning about the history and construction. I ride motorcycles so I'm partial to biker jackets which I own six.

Anyway, I thought I'd post my first true vintage acquisition - a late 60's, early 70's Brooks Cafe Racer jacket. I picked it up off of ebay recently and when it delivered, I almost was knocked off my feet by how bad this jacket smelled of smoke. I don't smoke, am allergic, and so I'm quite sensitive to it. I went through some gentle cleaning using saddle soap for the leather and white vinegar for the interior. I've gotten it clean enough to the point I can finally wear it. In a sentimental kinda way, the smell of it now reminds me of wearing one of my dad's jackets - slightly smoky, slightly clean.

I took the jacket for a spin through the back country roads on my Triumph Bonneville, and wow, this is probably the best jacket I've ever owned for cutting through the wind. There is literally no wind drag, even on the windiest of days. Quite awesome. If you're familiar with riding, you know how uncomfortable it is when your jacket acts like sail.

I've noticed this jacket is not the "typical" Cafe Racer jacket. It has the hand warmer pockets instead of the two chest pockets. The fit is snug which I prefer on the bike. I'm a 40 chest, and the jacket is a 40. I was able to wear a light long sleeve shirt underneath for my ride which is a bit cooler now here in Michigan. The condition of the leather is quite nice. No major wounds that I can see. The talon zippers work as they should.

Here's a few pictures (jacket was just conditioned. It's not as shiny in person)
Brooks Cafe Racer 1.jpg

Brooks Cafe Racer 2.jpg

Brooks Cafe Racer 3 (2).jpg

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Welcome, nice first post! It is great that you use this Brooks as intended - on a bike. Also glad that most of the smoke odor came off in the wash - that is not always the case. Cigarette odor is grounds to return on ebay if not disclosed. If it still bothers you airing the jacket out in sunshine may help further, and if it does not work, an ozone generator can take care of it. Gold label Brooks is a nice jacket.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Really nice jacket there and great first post @JohnnyKnuckles

Welcome to Fedora Lounge! Looks like you will be contributing some great material here with your reviews, and yes, the point you make about the "no wind drag" on a motorcycle is for sure a real thing. I didn't have a true CR when I was riding my Nighthawk, but really would like to try it now with the only CR I still have.

Like you I am quite sensitive to smell and cigarette odor is difficult for me as well. Maybe even just some more good long ride on these cool fall Michigan days will help knock out the rest of that smell. It certainly look nice & well cared for.

JohnnyKnuckles

New in Town
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and for your thoughts.

I agree, AeroFan_07, a few rides in the cool Michigan air will do the jacket some good for sure! ....now if it'd only stop raining for ten minutes!

GUYSWEETLAND

New in Town
I also bought Brooks Leather on eBay.
KakaoTalk_20231022_003708033.jpg
Almost lost my mind because of the smell of the cigarrette.
I used various deodorants, artificial charcoal, and even did laundry. But it didn't work.
I learned here about ozone generators,

So I bought a small one for home use.
KakaoTalk_20231022_005348834.jpg

It certainly worked, which seemed insignificant.
The smell of cigarettes has disappeared.
You should buy an ozone generator, too.(●'◡'●)

JohnnyKnuckles

New in Town
I also bought Brooks Leather on eBay.
View attachment 554187
Almost lost my mind because of the smell of the cigarrette.
I used various deodorants, artificial charcoal, and even did laundry. But it didn't work.
I learned here about ozone generators,

So I bought a small one for home use.
View attachment 554188

It certainly worked, which seemed insignificant.
The smell of cigarettes has disappeared.
You should buy an ozone generator, too.(●'◡'●)!
Good to know! I just may invest in one of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner