Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Seeking advice on first leather jacket

yings

New in Town
Hi all,

Happy to be part of the forum! I want to pull the trigger and get my very first leather jacket this holiday season. Read many posts here but would like to seek advice directly.

I have my eyes on a cafe racer (Aero highwayman is another one that I might get as my second if the first goes well!). I don't ride and I'd like a good quality jacket that's comfortable and not too restrictive - willing to take some beating during break-in. I prefer simple design - not a big fan of multiple back panels and adjuster buckles.. My candidates are schott 530 and vanson ar2 right now but definitely open to suggestions (prefer made in us and have hand pockets)! Based on what I saw, Schott 530 is the most clean and comfortable, but it goes for 975.. while I've read here that Vanson has better quality and is a lot cheaper and it looks great as well though in my opinion not as good as 530. I should note that I've not seen any in real life so might not be accurate.

ps I'm 5'10 155 lbs, 39-40 chest.

Thanks all

Khilij

One of the Regulars
I have 2 vanson jackets, an Oxford and a Chopper, and I am very happy with them. Vanson has great patterns that give a good range of motion. If it's your first leather jacket and you're in the US, I recommend you contact Carrie at Thurston Bros. They are a Vanson dealer and they have a fit jacket try on program that really helps get the fit dialed in.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Honestly can’t go wrong with either Vanson or Schott. Two great brands. They both do jackets with great mobility and comfort. If I were you I would keep an eye open for used jackets. Classifieds here or eBay. Used Vanson and Schott cafe racers show up regularly. You’ll save a lot of money compared to buying new.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Honestly can’t go wrong with either Vanson or Schott. Two great brands. They both do jackets with great mobility and comfort. If I were you I would keep an eye open for used jackets. Classifieds here or eBay. Used Vanson and Schott cafe racers show up regularly. You’ll save a lot of money compared to buying new.
This, exactly. Also items like side adjustment comes in really hand, once you actually own one, since you can dial in the fit much more. My first couple leather jackets, about 30 years back, were around $150 each. However at that time a new Schott was around $350 or so.

Last edited:

Mrfrown

One Too Many
Only thing with Vanson is that their designs may look better on the bike, or have particularly long sleeves. The sleeve thing is not a big deal if you have longer arms, but it may be annoying otherwise.

The Schott designs tend to be a little more forgiving in my experience. And the iconic style of the perfecto crosszip makes it more versatile / universal than you may think.

Both are really great jacket makers though

yings

New in Town
I have 2 vanson jackets, an Oxford and a Chopper, and I am very happy with them. Vanson has great patterns that give a good range of motion. If it's your first leather jacket and you're in the US, I recommend you contact Carrie at Thurston Bros. They are a Vanson dealer and they have a fit jacket try on program that really helps get the fit dialed in.
Thanks man. seems thurston bros doesn't have ar2. I've read that their comp leather is quite stiff and heavy, what's your experience with it like?

yings

New in Town
Thanks! I rarely buy second hand but for sure open to it. Anything you would watch out for?

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just order a Vanson AR2 in either 38 or 40 and then you’re covered. (I’d suggest 38 given I’m 3“ taller and 50 lbs heavier than you and wear a 40 in Model B, 42 in Comet.) Get the jacket and delete your account here; you won’t actually top the jacket but will keep buying other stuff thinking you can.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Thanks! I rarely buy second hand but for sure open to it. Anything you would watch out for?

Plenty of very lightly used second hand jackets out there. The main difference to a new one is the price. Watch the general condition. Study the pictures to see if there is any damage. With your chest size you should fit Schott and Vanson size 40 (their patterns are well developed and in my experience fit true to size). We are about the same size (I’m 182 cm, 40 chest, 84 kg) at least in chest size and height and I take a 40 in Vanson and Schott.
Save two eBay searches for “Vanson cafe racer” and “Schott cafe racer”, filter in your size.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I will also encourage you to look for used versions of both your top picks as others have suggested. Especially gi en it's you're first leather jacket, it's better to take less monetary risk and go used.

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks man. seems thurston bros doesn't have ar2. I've read that their comp leather is quite stiff and heavy, what's your experience with it like?
I got my Vanson competition weight about 10 to 15 years ago, so the leather source has likely been changed. I found it to be very stiff at first but gradually loosening until it became soft and comfortable after about a year of regular use. It is still my favorite leather for riding.

Vanson is particular about the quality of the leather it markets as competition weight, so I imagine it is still a top quality leather.

Khilij

One of the Regulars
My Chopper is from about 2020, and the comp weight is heavy for sure. I would call it what it is: Motorcycle gear that can also be used for daily wear. It's stiff at first but gets significantly more comfortable as you break it in. Vanson offers other leathers like Z150 and Firenze which are a bit easier to wear initially. The only downside of my batch of comp weight in my opinion is that the aging and grain potential seems very low so far. I believe this has changed with the new batch. I believe the new batches have a more grainy feel to them, based on pictures I've seen. Overall, I am quite happy with my comp weight leather and would happily buy it again. It seems the new batches are even better.

Aloysius

Vanson is particular about the quality of the leather it markets as competition weight, so I imagine it is still a top quality leather.

Correct.

The only downside of my batch of comp weight in my opinion is that the aging and grain potential seems very low so far. I believe this has changed with the new batch. I believe the new batches have a more grainy feel to them, based on pictures I've seen. Overall, I am quite happy with my comp weight leather and would happily buy it again. It seems the new batches are even better.

Your batch was the batch where the quality had declined (not due to cost cutting by Vanson but because their original supplier burned down and they were looking for a suitable replacement for a couple of years); the new source of comp weight is stunning. I checked it out at the factory.

Peacoat

Bartender
Correct.

Your batch was the batch where the quality had declined (not due to cost cutting by Vanson but because their original supplier burned down and they were looking for a suitable replacement for a couple of years); the new source of comp weight is stunning. I checked it out at the factory.
Thanks for the information. I didn't know what happened to the original supplier. I just saw that Kim said it was no longer available, and they were looking for a replacement. This was a while back–maybe a couple of years.

yings

New in Town
Correct.

Thanks to you guys suggestions, I just placed my order for an ar2 in BLK. How would I know if the leather is from the new source?

Aloysius

Thanks to you guys suggestions, I just placed my order for an ar2 in BLK. How would I know if the leather is from the new source?

The new jackets I saw in black comp weight there were of the nice new hide.

yings

New in Town
My Chopper is from about 2020, and the comp weight is heavy for sure. I would call it what it is: Motorcycle gear that can also be used for daily wear. It's stiff at first but gets significantly more comfortable as you break it in. Vanson offers other leathers like Z150 and Firenze which are a bit easier to wear initially. The only downside of my batch of comp weight in my opinion is that the aging and grain potential seems very low so far. I believe this has changed with the new batch. I believe the new batches have a more grainy feel to them, based on pictures I've seen. Overall, I am quite happy with my comp weight leather and would happily buy it again. It seems the new batches are even better.
Just saw some chopper pics. man it's cool but don't think I can pull it off lol.. I placed my order for an ar2 in BLK and it just so happens that they have one in stock. I for sure want it to be made of the 'new batches' but how could a noob like me know?..

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So the true "old school" Competition Weight was discontinued sometime just after the year 2000.

I think whatever you obtain in the same specification today should be quite suited for the jacket & your needs.

Aloysius

Just saw some chopper pics. man it's cool but don't think I can pull it off lol.. I placed my order for an ar2 in BLK and it just so happens that they have one in stock. I for sure want it to be made of the 'new batches' but how could a noob like me know?..

I have been to the factory recently. Trust me, you’re getting a great leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner