Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO) - Everything you wanted to bootleg about the Show!

Peter Principle at work, perhaps?

I'll miss Eddie. The character provided a level of comic relief, and human warmth, this blood-soaked saga needs. Maybe the women in Richard's life -- his sister and his girlfriend -- will serve that purpose now that Eddie is gone.

Landman

One Too Many
I would say that is a perfect example of the Peter Principle.

I just wish they had not made him out to be a gullible fool. I remember in a previous episode he pulled a gun and saved Nucky's life. I remember thinking then that was a side of him I didn't expect, that he was tougher than he appeared, more of a gentleman gangster. I prefer to remember him that way. I'm going to miss Eddie too.

The poor old fellow wanted more responsibility but couldn't handle the additional risk.. It's a tough racket.

It seemed to be more than that though. In the police interview we learned that he abandoned his family in Germany for a mistress and Eddie learned that his adult sons in Germany had changed their name out of anger at / shame for their father.

That, to me, seemed to be what broke him. He wanted to be a man of integrity - and in many ways was - but clearly he had one very big moment of weakness in Germany. That along with his new current convoluted moral situation (it was one thing to be the manservant of a criminal, but it is hard to be morally pure and an active member of a criminal organization) did his psyche in.

While I will miss his character (Nucky's exasperation with him, but willingness to put up with Eddie's own quirks, were great moments of quiet comic relief in an intense show - and an interesting window into Nucky's humanity) - I enjoyed learning Eddie's backstory.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Peter Principle at work, perhaps?

I'll miss Eddie. The character provided a level of comic relief, and human warmth, this blood-soaked saga needs. Maybe the women in Richard's life -- his sister and his girlfriend -- will serve that purpose now that Eddie is gone.
I stopped watching after they killed off Owen Sleater. I was just thinking about giving it another try, but now I won't. I'm glad I missed this episode. And all the future ones.

Feraud

Bartender
It seemed to be more than that though. In the police interview we learned that he abandoned his family in Germany for a mistress and Eddie learned that his adult sons in Germany had changed their name out of anger at / shame for their father.

That, to me, seemed to be what broke him. He wanted to be a man of integrity - and in many ways was - but clearly he had one very big moment of weakness in Germany. That along with his new current convoluted moral situation (it was one thing to be the manservant of a criminal, but it is hard to be morally pure and an active member of a criminal organization) did his psyche in.

While I will miss his character (Nucky's exasperation with him, but willingness to put up with Eddie's own quirks, were great moments of quiet comic relief in an intense show - and an interesting window into Nucky's humanity) - I enjoyed learning Eddie's backstory.

Yes, Eddie's downfall was his inability to reconcile his past. Had he stayed a butler his unsavory past may never have surfaced.
I've grown to seriously dislike that new rat-faced agent. While it will never happen I'd love to see him "baptised" by Van Alden..

Yes, Eddie's downfall was his inability to reconcile his past. Had he stayed a butler his unsavory past may never have surfaced.
I've grown to seriously dislike that new rat-faced agent. While it will never happen I'd love to see him "baptised" by Van Alden..

Agreed, I can't stand his smarmy, cocky self-righteousness. Fortunately, on this show, there is a good probability he will get his.

It would seem that enthusiasm for this show is waning around these parts. More than a full week with no comments.

Any thoughts as to why that is? I know that I'm not liking the show as much as I once did, although I continue to watch, for now. They create these compelling characters -- Jimmy, Angela, Owen, Eddie -- and then they bump 'em off. Will it end up like Godfather II, with the lead character having won everything he sought and is left sitting alone?

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It would seem that enthusiasm for this show is waning around these parts. More than a full week with no comments.

Any thoughts as to why that is?
Maybe because there are too many plot lines. Or that if we begin rooting for a character, they'll die. And there are too many characters that just aren't fun to watch. The entertainment aspect has gone way down.

I think you're on to it, Blackthorn. Too many plot lines, such that some characters, even some major ones, don't appear for long stretches. We hadn't seen nor heard from Margaret all season, but then she showed up last week, but only long enough (literally) for a cup of coffee. (Or was it tea?)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I think you're on to it, Blackthorn. Too many plot lines, such that some characters, even some major ones, don't appear for long stretches. We hadn't seen nor heard from Margaret all season, but then she showed up last week, but only long enough (literally) for a cup of coffee. (Or was it tea?)

Exactly, Tony. If they had never had that segment, none of us would have missed it. So...when I think of watching next week I think...why see more that I have ceased caring about? I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons. Ah well...

Now you hit on why my watching waned.....

While Gyp Rossetti was painful (and scary) and too, too much time was devoted to him, I thought the last three episodes of last season were incredibly well done as we got to see "street-fighting" Nucky. I had always been a little skeptical of how emaciated - almost effeminate - Nucky had become head of his corrupt empire, but when I saw him in action at the street level - able to access and respond ruthlessly to a gun battle and car chase in real time and with cold calculation, for example - I understood how he was able to leverage his brains to rise up in a world that normally requires brawn and brawl to start. And then watching him reinvent himself this year, without the old trappings of his Treasurer's job, was fresh and character revealing - he adapts, but likes his creature comforts and finds a way to have them. I don't disagree with many of the complaints above, but still greatly enjoy the show owing to the fun of watching the star of the show over come all the heavy boulders being thrown at him - a fantastic job of acting.

Landman

One Too Many
I agree with the comments about too many plot lines but I don't mind the killing off of main characters. Most shows are so predictable that they become boring to me. This one seems to keep my attention because you never know who might be killed next.

I guess I'm in the minority too when it comes to Gyp Rossetti because I enjoyed his character. I also loved that silverbelly thin ribbon he wore! I'm assuming that had to be a Borsalino Allessandria.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit