Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Hey guys,
Wasn't sure what thread to post this in...ask a question thread or here.
It is strictly a boater question so perhaps it belongs here.
Got my first boater this past summer. 40s (?) AdamRoyal.
Like a boater more than I thought I would.

My questions: How do you guys store your boaters for the winter? What is the recommended method?
Sitting on crown, on brim, in hat box on insert? Kind of wondering if sitting on crown would allow brim to sag? It's pretty stiff but still flexible.

Input and experience would be greatly appreciated.

I would store it brim down in a hat box (no insert).

I would store it brim down in a hat box (no insert).

This is likely good advice, though I find I enjoy that I enjoy the ability for boaters to be stackable, one on top of another, rotated 90 degrees for stability. This means you can accumulate lots and lots of them.

Steve, intriguing weave job on that hat. Interesting how the form of the coiled straw boater remained so consistent, with almost all the variation found in the weave and ribbon treatments.

Alan, Yes they are very stackable! I actually checked one of mine and I had it stored crown down. :)

The weave really jumped out at me. I almost put a bid on it but luckily I came to my senses. :)

A few of my boaters hibernating for the winter on the top shelf.

boatershibernating.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who makes a good modern boater today?

Olney make pretty decent English hard boaters (they're still made in Luton, the traditional centre of straw hat manufacture over here). The straw is good - they're truly rigid, and the ribbons okay. The only real negative is the pleather sweat (oh and they come up very large, at least one size).

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Tesi and Olney are the standbys and I can personally attest that a Tesi is very much like my vintage Lee. I still say that Dorfman Pacific was pretty nice. I've been wishing I'd bought it.

ManofKent

Garrett

Alan's impressive collection of assorted skimmers prompted me to post this:

It spins me right round ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred