Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

I know in Germany braid production moved to Japan and China in the late 1800s. The straw was sourced from Asia but bleached** in Germany (see below).

From Ottmar Reich "100 Years" (1938). Ottmar Reich was famous in Germany for making Boaters (Kreissäge).

13588200845_4856b8c523_b.jpg

14329810637_0978780d90_b.jpg

Rough translation to English.

Page 30:

Pictures of China and Japan, which have proven our business partners for the collection of writings at your disposal.

Seed (China): The sparse image section is possible, after all recognize the care with which here in the hilly country, the field is ordered; it resembles less our ethers, as our vineyards. The not too lean, not too rich sods are fine, high stalks.

Testing the braids (China): The Flechterinnen have tine inclination, less already geratenes straw good wind so that it comes to rest with the individual pieces inside. The inspectors ar-work at all lateral Skylight, priifen dos the purity of the straw, the goodness of the work, sor-animals qualities and accomplish tine amazement values ​​daily output.

Harvest in the plane (China): rice and wheat straw for Flechtzwecke are often cut before maturity of the grains, the daft little woody stalk unit sick fast and beautiful intertwine laest. Reputation of the provinces have Maslienpoo, Sancolien, Fiuku and Sinchong.

Rustic-braiding (Japan): The career of the straw braid is easy to follow. The left-Seated squeezes the already sorted straws a precisely dimension calculate length in two halves, which provide 3 Middle intertwine with nimble fingers the finished braid to the right OUTDOORS from the end of work, which upholds the precise trade measure in the winding and at the same time the delivered goods to measures.

Photo

Straw Sorted in China

** This is from the same publication "Ottmar Reich "100 Years" (1938)" regarding new bleaching process invented by Ottmar Reich some time after WWI.

Had to liquidate the local competitors and burst into our reshaped to bleaching AG Department, which from then on worked with two works that are a number of patents brought orders from France, England, USA, Switzerland, etc., that the exact working methods of our peroxide bleaching later proven also in the refining of cane, raffia palm, loofah vines and nuts that were landmarks of development; but that one is looking to go repeated applications from abroad label oriented braids one sent with the remark that this particular estimated bleaching is desired (the labels bore the inscription "Made in Japan - Bleached in Germany." and were those marks which we ourselves our now had attached conditions), that means for us a recognition that we are looking forward honest.

STRAW PLAIT BLEACHING AND DYEING, AND STRAW HAT MANUFACTURING.
By E. F. WILLIAMSON. (1907)

This is from the English perspective which paints a similar picture as above.

http://www.forgottenbooks.org/readbook_text/The_Journal_1907_1000725795/313

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
There was probably a variety of grasses or palm leaves used, but the type of braid used was known as sennit straw, hence the name of Sennit Hats for straw boaters. As mayserwegener pointed out, these plaited straw braids came from Asia. American manufacturers imported the braid and sewed it into boater hats in American factories until probably sometime in the 1950s. HCA imported the finished hats from Italy after that.

Brad

Last edited:
Thanks! I might actually look into getting one these modern Kurt Wismer Yeddo (Röhrlihüte) style Boaters. He is wearing one is this photo and there is one next to his right arm (also some rounded crown styles in the background).

bild_span12.jpg

Straw Museum in the Park
Bünzstrasse 5
5610 Wohlen AG

http://www.strohmuseum.ch/

Amazing Röhrlihüte from the museum collection.

strohmuseum20_15.jpg

Last edited:

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
I would go with your normal size. They are stiff hats so you don't want a really tight fit. You can always add some padding. There is always a risk on Ebay. I have won more than I have lost but you do take a chance. Also you can always resell.

I just received a bowler I bought on Ebay in my correct size. That is a stiff style of hat also and it fits great, so I am going to stick to my size in my boater search and not get tempted by good deals in other sizes.

Hap Hapablap

One of the Regulars
Apologies if this has been talked about a million times on here, but I am looking for a little boater repair advice. I found a wonderful old Dobbs boater (just in time to put it away for the season!) today for a song. The only problem with it is that bow side of the brim is slightly upwardly warped. Is this something I could fix myself with some steam and some heavy books, should I avoid doing it myself, or is it hopeless? Thanks in advance!

Apologies if this has been talked about a million times on here, but I am looking for a little boater repair advice. I found a wonderful old Dobbs boater (just in time to put it away for the season!) today for a song. The only problem with it is that bow side of the brim is slightly upwardly warped. Is this something I could fix myself with some steam and some heavy books, should I avoid doing it myself, or is it hopeless? Thanks in advance!

Yes that should do it but be careful with the steam (just enough to loosen the shellac).

Saw this in an antique shop today. Thought you guys might get a kick, although maybe this would fit better in the conversion thread.
15936e3dd6be4f29216c30fcaabdf2f0.jpg

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I just got this Wormser "Sterling Quality" boater at a local antique store. I had seen it there several times, but it was in rough condition and their price was too high. However, when I went in yesterday they had lowered the price, and I had been looking for a boater, so I decided to take a chance on it in spite of the flaws.

The brim was cracked in two places at the back, which I fixed with some Elmer's glue and weight. The front of the brim was also bent upward, which I was able to fix with some steam and an iron.
IMGP0810-1.JPG

I also re-stitched the back of the sweatband and re-tacked the little bow. Those stitches in the sweatband look terrible, but they're actually holding up surprisingly well.
IMGP0813-1.JPG

Overall, I think it turned out to be a half-way decent looking hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner