Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

Yeddo straw boater for Lelewer, Chicago

lelewer1.jpg

lelewer2.jpg

lelewer3.jpg

lelewer4.jpg

lelewer5.jpg

lelewer6.jpg

lelewer7.jpg

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
My wife has tolerated my many hat purchases, but she does NOT want me to get a boater. She says she just can't imagine I'd look good in one, and doesn't want to be seen with me if I'm wearing one.

Guess I'll just have to get one and wear it when she's not with me. :D

facade

A-List Customer
First night with my new skimmer

I finally got around to purchasing a boater/skimmer hat which arrived just in time to be worn out on the town last night. Its a real nice vintage Knox, nothing too fancy. I was a tad worried that I'd draw some barbershop quartet comments as I wore trousers and a patterned blue sports jacket. To combat this, I wore a Jerry Garcia tie as to not look too old-timey. With my skimmer plunked on my noggin with sufficient rake, I headed out to an outdoor event with a live dance band.

From the reactions I received you'd think I walked in wearing the crown of England. Before I had even made 10 paces into the bar area, I was greeted with "Wow what a great hat". People were effusive in their praise all night long. Well beyond the typical "nice hat" comment. Too twenty-somethings struck up a friendly conversation and stated I was "the best dressed man in the place". Another gentleman approached me and I expected another hat comment.. turns out he wanted to compliment the tie! The only mildly negative reaction were three T-shirt and ballcap dudes yucking it up amongst themselves at the bar.

The lowlight of the evening came when a lady on the dance floor plucked my hat from my head and hurled across the room like a Frisbee onto a nearby table. She meant no harm so I took it with aplomb but inside I was like "What the F lady!".

The effects of dressing nicer than the norm and a willingness to be different amazes me.

$_57.jpg $_257.jpg

CinematicGypsy

New in Town
The lowlight of the evening came when a lady on the dance floor plucked my hat from my head and hurled across the room like a Frisbee onto a nearby table. She meant no harm so I took it with aplomb but inside I was like "What the F lady!".

View attachment 30197 View attachment 30198

Wow. Some women think they can get away with anything, just because they're women...! I would have probably popped her in the lip, but then again, woman-on-woman combat is much more socially acceptable. :rolleyes: I hope she didn't dent your hat.

facade

A-List Customer
Wow. Some women think they can get away with anything, just because they're women...! I would have probably popped her in the lip, but then again, woman-on-woman combat is much more socially acceptable. :rolleyes: I hope she didn't dent your hat.

The hat proved surprisingly aerodynamic so no damage.

facade

A-List Customer

CinematicGypsy

New in Town
Appears to be a store brand so not much to go on beyond researching the store itself. I'd guess 1960's.

If the sweatband is supple, you may try looking behind it. There's usually tags, sizing, etc. behind the sweatband.

Okay, so.. I took your advice and looked. I found a stamp on the inside of the interior band (on the leather, not the hat) which I had overlooked. Thanks for that. I found my answer here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/index.php/t-59329.html? Holy Mother of GOD what information. I feel like a sponge. Anyway.. thanks. I concluded that this is 1934-1940 based on the given info.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21