Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boater faction!

RJR

Today at an antique store I found myself happily indecisive as I came across 3 vintage boaters (Knox, Wormser, Bentley) in my size.

My attention went to the familiar names Knox and Wormser, but they were too large to wear comfortably and had their share of condition issues. I'd never heard of Bentley and it did appear to be newer than the rest, but the fit was so comfortable. The size tag reads: "7-1/4 Tuells Hats".

View attachment 49207 View attachment 49208
Nice find!

Organist

New in Town
Hi,

I'm Mike from Ohio. Boaters are certainly high on my of favorite hats. I have a Ponte Rialto that I got from Del Monico. When I ordered, a guy in the comments cautioned to get one size larger since the hat was pretty stiff. I did as suggested and got a ha that was too big. No matter, the folks at Delmonico were very kind and my hat was quickly for one size lower. The also sent something to put in the band to make the fit tighter, but it's not necessary- it fits perfectly.

Best wishes,
Mike

RJR

Hi,

I'm Mike from Ohio. Boaters are certainly high on my of favorite hats. I have a Ponte Rialto that I got from Del Monico. When I ordered, a guy in the comments cautioned to get one size larger since the hat was pretty stiff. I did as suggested and got a ha that was too big. No matter, the folks at Delmonico were very kind and my hat was quickly for one size lower. The also sent something to put in the band to make the fit tighter, but it's not necessary- it fits perfectly.

Best wishes,
Mike
That tracks with their reputation,good choice.

I have been quite happy with this Dobbs straw. 7 1/4LO is what drew me to this hat. Appears to be mid century in construction, the remains of a mfg tag is attached to the sweat, moved from the underside of the hat? The roan sweat is pristine, and I thought it was a replacement, but Mike at NW does not think it is based on stitching and how it lays. One issue I have with the hat is the brim is not totally flat (horizontal?). Flips up a little all around. Can I steam it gently and put weight all around the brim to bring it back down? Also, I would like to change the ribbon to orange/black striped, OSU Beaver style. Can't find any vintage ribbon like this to save my soul...searching.
28773729650_55c76a64b4_z.jpg

29027433656_ffab4bdd18_z.jpg
29060181365_5fc6041f54_z.jpg

RJR

I have been quite happy with this Dobbs straw. 7 1/4LO is what drew me to this hat. Appears to be mid century in construction, the remains of a mfg tag is attached to the sweat, moved from the underside of the hat? The roan sweat is pristine, and I thought it was a replacement, but Mike at NW does not think it is based on stitching and how it lays. One issue I have with the hat is the brim is not totally flat (horizontal?). Flips up a little all around. Can I steam it gently and put weight all around the brim to bring it back down? Also, I would like to change the ribbon to orange/black striped, OSU Beaver style. Can't find any vintage ribbon like this to save my soul...searching.
28773729650_55c76a64b4_z.jpg

29027433656_ffab4bdd18_z.jpg
29060181365_5fc6041f54_z.jpg
I have to believe that one of our hatters will have some orange/black ribbon or know where it can be found.

I have to believe that one of our hatters will have some orange/black ribbon or know where it can be found.
I'll start begging. I would like to go a little more narrow than the 2" black that came on this Boater. Although, I do see a number of vintage images with wider ribbons on 1930s straws.

Organist

New in Town
Redfokker,

That hat certainly is a thing of beauty. It would be a shame to change it, but it does bring up a point. It would be nice if there were boaters with changeable ribbons to aid in coordinating. The red and blue ribbon on my boater is beautiful, and I am lucky to have found a neck tie and a bow tie that are identical colors. However, i would also like to find a black and brown ribbons coordinate with my other outfits. I notice Miller, I think, has boaters with such options. One day I'll chance ordering one to see it it's as nice as it is in the picture.

I watched the Kurt Wismer hat video and was enthralled. Does anyone know where you can buy those?

Could you add some kind of orange accent to the black ribbon instead? Preserving the original band but getting the look you want without having to find new ribbon or change a hat that has survived.
I seem to recall a thread about doing just that! I'll give that some consideration, not having much luck with finding Halloween colors in grosgrain! Have to represent my OSU Beavers!

bassfiddlesteve

New in Town
I just thought I'd mention that Stetson has begun producing a new Italian-made boater. It's actually the same as the Ponte Rialto hat, but it has a darker colored straw and a black grosgrain ribbon which looks more authentic. I picked one up at Meyer the Hatter when I was in New Orleans last month. A few other online retailers are carrying it now too.

- Steve

Ottmar Reich, measures 58cm, probably 1920s. Interesting bow design and very light weight. I really like this type of Stiff Straw Hat. I think it's a Ecuadorian or Colombian straw + weave but could be Asian. Old German Straw Hats are very difficult finds so very happy to find this one. Ottmar Reich was located in Lindenberg, Germany (was a major Straw Hat center) and the old factory building is now the Deutsche Hutmuseum (German Hat Museum).

30916802915_6b393dcbf8_b.jpg

30829171611_5c5b2cfe5d_b.jpg

30916707935_b9e4b39f91_b.jpg

30282753974_f90991d49a_b.jpg

30916990465_3570820cc3_b.jpg

30917091955_2076e0b154_b.jpg

Old Cork Spacer that was behind the sweatband. Never seen one this wide before.

30281265083_f1e183306e_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21