Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bobby-pin storage

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
I wish that the lady who owned my house before me had stored her pins properly. I have a 1930's house which was owned by the same couple since it was built. They didn't do much to it since the 30's (so we had a LOT of work to do)...

..... but one of the biggest pains was that evrytime we took up the linoleum which was in every room (event the bedrooms)- the floor was covered in rusty bobby pins... I'm still finding them inbetween the floor boards.. and we really should get a bagless vacuum cleaner as the bag has been pierced so many times by a stray pin!

Yikes! Good luck with the home renos - I'm sure it will be beautiful and well worth the trouble when it's all done. How many bobby pins do you think you've found so far?

I keep mine in a little yellow melamine pinch bowl in the tray in my train case. Really handy and I can just take the bowl in and out of the tray when I need to.

May7_05.JPG

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
I purchased the conair ones at the grocery store, they come in a plastic case with a sliding tab at the top, it's perfect! :)

I have those, also- for my purse. It's handy and stays closed.

I wish that the lady who owned my house before me had stored her pins properly. I have a 1930's house which was owned by the same couple since it was built. They didn't do much to it since the 30's (so we had a LOT of work to do)...
..... but one of the biggest pains was that evrytime we took up the linoleum which was in every room (event the bedrooms)- the floor was covered in rusty bobby pins... I'm still finding them inbetween the floor boards.. and we really should get a bagless vacuum cleaner as the bag has been pierced so many times by a stray pin!

That's both... so cool and so annoying! I love the idea of finding something old still around, but after awhile, I can imagine it would get a different kind of old.

I use a glass dish that is separated into 3 sections, I think it was originally for sweets or canapes. It's hard to describe but if you imagine a small glass dish for dips! They are always in charity shops, look pretty and are really useful for seperating different pins.

That is such a great idea. I have regular size in black and copper/black, and a set of half-size pins. That sounds like a perfect solution... I'm going to start checking the thrift store down the street. :)

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Our house had the little slot in the bathroom to put the used safety razors in- they went into the whole into the wall cavity. That was fun.

And so I have a funny bobby pin story. I wear the normal bobby pins, but also the metal pins that women put on curlers. About two years ago my car got a flat tire- deflated right in the driveway. So my husband gets the spare on it, and takes the tire in to get it sealed.
He picks me up in the car and says "Do you know what put the whole in the tire?"
I say "No, what did it?"
He says "The mechanics pulled a bobby pin out of the tire."
I say "No, a bobby pin wouldn't put a whole in a tire!"
"Here it is." He hands me a bent bobby pin that's a little rusty.
"No way!"
"Yeah, they pulled it out."
"Really? No."
"Really, you've got to be more careful. It cost $50 to fix the tire."

He kept it up for 20 minutes, and I was starting to believe him, even if I knew it was technically impossible that a bobby pin could take out a tire. (It was a screw, if you were wondering what really took out my tire.) Real funny. :p

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
What a cute story Sheeplady. That is so something my husband would do to me. He always coming across my bobby pins in the strangest places. After reading Tishkaminx's story. I feel obliged to store my pins more carefully, to save stress to future generations! :)

Strongwings

New in Town
Magnetic pin cushion

My favorite way to store my bobby pins is on a magnetic pin cushion. You can get them at sewing and crafts stores or online for about $12 or less. The brand I have is Grabbit. You can drop your bobby pins from far away and it will catch them and keep them all in line. The best part is you don't have to worry about knocking them over. You can even carry the whole thing upside down. I like to keep mine in the bathroom or beside the bed. I have two, but I keep the other one for sewing. I really recommend it.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My favorite way to store my bobby pins is on a magnetic pin cushion. You can get them at sewing and crafts stores or online for about $12 or less. The brand I have is Grabbit. You can drop your bobby pins from far away and it will catch them and keep them all in line. The best part is you don't have to worry about knocking them over. You can even carry the whole thing upside down. I like to keep mine in the bathroom or beside the bed. I have two, but I keep the other one for sewing. I really recommend it.

What a great solution! I keep my tailor's pins on one of those when sewing, but I never thought to use it for bobby pins. I'll definitely be trying this (I'm getting tired of fishing through a jar with one hand while holding my hair in place with another lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael