Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boer Hats

aristoi

New in Town
I came across a music video recently depicting Boers fighting the British ( youtube.com ), and it contained some nice hats. The hats seem to be a cross between a slouch and a fedora. I'd like to find a hat similar to the that of the lead vocalist's, i.e., a wide brimmed fedora that would be practical in AZ. Here are some pictures...

hat1.png

hat2.png

hat3.png

hat4.png

...is this just a teardrop-bashed, ~4" crown, ~3" brim fedora? Using the photos above, which of Akubra's hats most closely approximate the look in the shots above? I've browsed through their catalog and spotted the plainsman, which once bashed, might look similar. Also, the cattleman might be comparable. Any suggestions?

One more thing, I've noticed the brim was turned up at the rear. Is this easy to do with Akubra's fur felt? Does it have a good "memory"?

You've got to admit, the Boers were some tough customers, and according to historical photos I've seen, tough on hats as well...

aristoi

New in Town
Welcome to the Lounge!

Thanks for having me.

I would say the recently famous Campdraft would fit the bill!
Check some of the threads herebouts for more info on these great hats!

I've taken a look at the Campdraft and have noticed it has a bound brim. I'd prefer the hat without it. Has anyone tried removing the binding? If so, will the stitch holes be visible? Is it glued?

Watch the movie "Breaker Morant" for some similar pictures. Same war as depicted - true story- great hats

Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family

ET

One of the Regulars
Breaker (Edwin Henry) Morant started service in 1899 as an enlisted man in the South Australian Mounted Rifles. In 1901, he was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the Bushveldt Carbineers (BVC), which operated as a guerrilla suppression unit in the Boer War. Wikipedia gives a number of details involving duplicity on both sides, including shoot on sight orders for any Boer caught in British military uniform. The order was denied to exist by the British commanders at Morant's trial, which led to his execution. He is still considered a heroic figure from what I understand in Australia.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Not exactly Boer hats but...

The photo album of a Canadian soldier who served during the Boer War sold on ebay today for $205.50. Great photos.

From the listing:
Very scarce original Canadian soldier's South African War photo album, with 39 private snapshots. Grey heavy paper album measures 6.9 inches by 5.4 inches, has 30 pages. Most photos are 4.3 inches by 2.4 inches, about 8 are smaller (2.1 by 2.1 inches), and a couple are larger. 31 of the photos are definitely in South Africa, or on the troopship en route (8 troop ship shots); there are three places identifiable in the photos: Colenso, Charles Town, and the grave of Field-Marshal Lord Roberts' son, killed at Colenso (like his father, he had been awarded a Victoria Cross). There are some nice shots with local African people, with the Canadian soldiers buddying up to the little kids; a great shot of a mounted column on the road, with long Lee-Enfields at the ready and stetson hats down over their eyes in the sun; a photo outside a tent, which looks to me like "chatting," or checking the seams of uniforms for lice (note the chained baboon at left); open-car railway transport; a pom-pom gun on field carriage; and there are 8 photos of a heavy field gun and Canadian gunners (in blue unifroms)--I believe these were either taken in Montreal or Halifax just prior to sailing. Note that most of the 31 South Africa photos are pretty light (they likely were overexposed in the first place); I have shown a couple without any adjustments, but you can see a great deal of detail by looking at them in black and white and adjusting the contrast. Condition is very good, four of the smaller photos are loose, but present in the album.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250421625102

Rare Canadian Boer War Foto Album 1900
boeralbum117.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick