Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bogey Hat Book

hatflick1

Practically Family
Dusted off and bought a used copy of 'Bogey, The Films of Humphrey Bogart' by Clifford McCarty, a black and white photo essay of the man and his movies.
And a primo hat book!
Bogey is not only shown wearing cowboy hats, naval officer hats, newsboy caps and his Mr. Allnut cap from the 'African Queen', but also every color and shape of fedora from films like 'Dark Victory', 'The Return of Dr.X', 'Across The Pacific' and the 1940's 'It All Came True' where you would swear he was wearing the Akubra Federation.
The book is highly recommended to members of the Lounge.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
That is a great book.
It also has the films in which Bogey only has a cameo.
That's one of the great things about the studio days of Hollywood.
"Hey Bogey, go over to stage 9. We need you for a one minute joke in another movie."
My favorite is his scene with S.Z. "Cuddles" Sakall in "Thank Your Lucky Stars".

A similar book for William Powell films is "The Complete Films of William Powell" by Lawrence J. Quirk.
However, it makes me realize how many early Powell silent films I may never get to see.

Yours truly,
The Wolf

hatflick1

Practically Family
Yeah, guys, the 'Bogey' book is a keeper. I wish was there was some way for a cyber slide show where a Lounge hat maven would walk us through the book and identify each Bogart fedora, its maker and the style. I am searching for the hat (or current equivalent) Bogey wore in 'Treasure of Sierra Madre'. Appears to have a high, slanted crown but a brim narrower than many classic period fedoras I come across. Perhaps, as in the film, I will eventually strike gold.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My books

I have that book. I also have The Ultimate BOGART, by Ernest Cunningham, the making of Casablanca. Films of Warner Bros., and Bogart, by AM Sperber and Eric Lax....all great books. I love HB!

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I have the McCarthy book too. I am not going to name all the Bogart books I have or I will be late for dinner. ;)

A few highlights are Humphry Bogie: A Life in Pictures by Schlesinger, Humphrey Bogart: A Hollywood Portrait and Hollywood Classics: Maltese Falcon both by Marie Cahill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR