Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Bond,.......Fedora Bond"

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
Just picked up a really nice cherry fedora at a swap meet this morning. It's a
Bond "Fifteen" and is dark chocolate brown. It's high crowned with a rolled brim.
The only thing amiss is the sweatband had begun to harden and flake at the outer edges a bit but is still wearable. It had been packed away and looked like it had been packed for quite a while. The imprint on the sweatband says it's a combination Beaver and "Hare" fur. The kicker was, it's a size 7 ( lucky 7 ) and I paid five bucks for it. I've never heard of a "Bond" hat or company and I couldn't dig up any information on Google. Any and all information is appreciated.
Lamb,......Frank Lamb

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey Frankie..."License to Thrill..!!"

I'll move this over to the HAT room, as you'll get more relevent help there my friend ;)

So - did you get an Aston Martin DB5 thrown in with the hat?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I would suggest you apply some leather conditioner to the sweatband to extend its lifetime. You will not save the dried out parts, but will prevent this becoming worse. I try to keep vintage hats' original sweatbands it they are serviceable.

barrowjh

One Too Many
My Bond 15

062908009.jpg

In this group shot, on the right, is a dark brown Bond 15 - with a 2 1/2 in brim, felted (Cav) edge. It also says hare and beaver mix, so we may have very similar (exact same?) model of that hat.

The '15' is from a time when the price itself was a status symbol, as America was easing very slowly over the decades into constant inflation - during the 50s prices were more constant than in recent decades. So, for a time a 15 meant top-shelf (for a mass-produced) hat, then it slid to 20, then 25, then maybe the 'x' system took over.

If your hat has a felted edge, with 2 1/2 inch brim, and the felt is not damaged, then the felt itself is PRICELESS. It is very much worth the effort to have it restored with new sweatband, ribbon, liner, wind trolley. Someone here may buy if from you if you don't want it, as that felt (the one I have) is really very fine quality felt.

Frankie Lamb

One of the Regulars
So many hats, so few heads

Thanks to all of you for the bucket-load of information on my Bond hat.
I wore it today while out and about and received a couple of nice comments; Sean Connery move over !
I'm going back to where I bought it next week because the fellow I bought it from says he may have more. However, I've heard that song before as I'm sure many of you have. We'll see, and I'll report back if my good Irish luck holds up.
Frankie L.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails