Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonnet Hair Dryers

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Please forgive me if there is already a thread on this topic. I did do a few different searches but couldn't find anything in regards to it.

I have been thinking about buying a bonnet hair dryer. I absolutely hate blowing my hair dry, but if I let my hair air dry the frizz factor is just too high. I have found quite a few different ones online. There seem to be "hard bonnet" or "soft bonnet", and they range in size and price. There are quite a few in the $30 to $40 range, which I was surprised by, I didn't expect them to be so reasonably priced. I like the idea of the soft bonnet dryer. They seem to be more portable, and rather than placing the contraption on a table and having to sit under it, I can just put the soft bonnet on my head and relax in bed or on the couch. However, I am wondering if the hard bonnet type might work better. I don't know why but it seems like they might be more durable, and conduct/hold the heat better.
Here are a few of the ones in my price range that I'm considering. Does anyone own/regularly use a bonnet dryer? If so, do you have a hard or soft bonnet? Do they actually work well? I'm thinking of using them to dry my hair after I set it that way I don't have to sleep in curlers. Even though the foam stick curlers I have been using are much more comfortable to sleep in, I just never get a truly good night sleep, even with the most comfortable of curlers in. Does using a bonnet dryer still give you the same quality/long lasting curls that you get from sleeping in a wet set? It seems as though the hard bonnets have higher wattage than the soft bonnets. Does anyone know of a soft bonnet dryer with a decent amount of wattage? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. I appreciate it:) These are the ones that I have found. There are so many different ones, I'm finding it hard to figure out which one to get.

This one is from Hot Tools. I've never even heard of this brand but I like the portability of it.
fasham_1940_4767773

This one is also from Hot Tools, it is a bit more expensive than the soft bonnet, but it has a higher voltage.
fasham_1940_2190275

This one is from Conair
It looks nice but it is only 400 Watts.
28730011.jpg

I've never heard of the brand Jerdon before, but I like the portability of this one
B0000AFUSY.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS400_.jpg

There are a bunch more, but I think this gives an idea of what I'm looking for. It does seem that even though the soft bonnet will be more portable and comfortable, the hard bonnet might work a little better.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
This may sound totally silly - but I made a modified soft bonnet dryer this weekend. I needed my curls to dry in time for church Friday evening. So I took a Target shopping bag, tied the handles at the nape of my neck, made a hole at the top of the bag, and inserted my hair dryer into the hole.

It worked like a charm! In my opinion, don't be put off by the lower wattage, I only had to put my hair dryer on low speed and low heat, or else my scalp was burning :)

And because the contraption was so akward, I only used it twice for about 5-8 minutes and my hair was dry. Mind you, I had the rollers in for about 3 hours total, so they did dry some on their own.

I can't give you any more concrete advice about the products you are looking at, but if all else fails, try a Target bag lol

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
hehe....I have the slightly fancier version of the target bag.....mine is a soft bonnet type thing that has a cloth tube that fits over my regular dryer....and then a bonnet that you tighten around hair...with vents so you dont blow up like a giant balloon.

It works...its a little too hot to sit there forever with.....and you have to figure out where you lean the blow dryer so that its not blocked air-intake wise....

But the Target bag probably works just as well to be honest.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
hehe....I have the slightly fancier version of the target bag.....mine is a soft bonnet type thing that has a cloth tube that fits over my regular dryer....and then a bonnet that you tighten around hair...with vents so you dont blow up like a giant balloon.

I had the same soft bonnet that attached to a dryer that you describe above. One thing to be careful of with these bonnets is that the plastic can start to melt after extended use. I know from experience.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i just purchased a bonnet drier from the 60s at work the other day. i know it's been tested and won't blow up on me, but i have no idea how it's going to actually work! it does have a built-in "nail dryer". i'll let you know how the contraption works, after i'm done moving into my new place and have time to think/do my hair!! by then it'll probably be too late though ;)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
yes....although mine is a slightly more serious shade of black.....but thats it....

works really well for letting deep conditioners penetrate the hair with the heat to help it too!

I just need to find a way to sleep with it going...so that my hair has half a chance at drying....lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Used bonnet dryers are very common and very cheap at places like Goodwill -- I picked one up there for $5.95 a few years back that had evidently never been used: came complete with carrying case and warranty cards, circa 1960.

The drawback with all the bonnet dryers I've ever used has been that they take a long time to really thoroughly dry your hair, especially if it's long and set in pincurls or rollers. Even at the highest heat setting, I've learned thru experience not to even think of taking mine off for 45 minutes or so. "High Heat" on these tends to be quite a bit less hot than "high" on a blow dryer.

Daisy Buchanan

Thanks Miss Neecerie and Lizzie!
I read a lot of write ups on all the different ones. It does seem that they do take a long time to work, and they aren't nearly as powerful as a hand held dryer. But, I figured I can just sit and watch a movie in the evening while I have it on. I ended up finding the "Hot Tools" brand for a decent price, and this one seemed to have the most positive reviews.
I also bought a triple barrel curling iron by the same brand. I shall see. For me, sitting with a hot bonnet on my head seems much more appealing than trying to hold onto a hair dryer for prolonged periods of time.
I was also interested in them for deep conditioning, but my main use would be to set my hair so I don't have to sleep in damp hair with curlers in. When I set my hair it is barely wet, just misted with setting lotion, so I'm hoping that since it will be mostly dry, I won't need to sit under it for more than an hour. I got the soft bonnet, so I can sit on the couch or in bed with it on. I just hope it doesn't over heat!!

Daisy Buchanan

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
I use my mom's from the 60s. It's pink! It takes awhile but it's nice and warm and I kinda like the WHOOSH! sound. :)
Oohh, maybe I should have looked harder for one from the 60's, I hope mine makes a WHOOSH sound!:D I just wanted one right away and didn't feel like waiting a few days for an auction. When I get in the mind set to get something, I have to make the purchase, or I'll get stressed out looking at all the info about the thing I'm trying to buy. Guess I'm a bit OCD in regards to shopping!

olive bleu

One Too Many
I know this comment will be no help to you Daisy,but my Mother used to have a Filter Queen Vacumn cleaner that came with a bonnet attachment.The bottom of the big cannister(which my sister & I called R2D2:) )blew OUT air and the hose attached to a bonnet that she would put on her head. My Dad would be in hysterics everytime she used itlollol

Miss_Bella_Hell

Daisy Buchanan said:
Oohh, maybe I should have looked harder for one from the 60's, I hope mine makes a WHOOSH sound!:D I just wanted one right away and didn't feel like waiting a few days for an auction. When I get in the mind set to get something, I have to make the purchase, or I'll get stressed out looking at all the info about the thing I'm trying to buy. Guess I'm a bit OCD in regards to shopping!

Oh I totally understand the need for instant gratification! My mom's also sort of smells like burnt hair, so I imagine a new one won't have that little problem.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I went to Value Village yesterday and I found a nice soft bonnet dryer. It's by General Electric, it's pink and white and is in excellent condition. It looks like it's from the the early 60's. It came with a case and a waist strap (and a lot of mouse poop). I had to give it a good cleaning. I paid 5.99 CAD for it! I searched the internet to try to figure out when it was sold and instead I found an article regarding the use of asbestos to insulate blow dryers. Now I'm terrified to use it. I sent General Electric an e-mail with a detailed description of the dryer and it's serial numbers to find out if mine is safe to use. :( http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml79/79022.html

Georgia Peach

New in Town
Best Soft Bonnet Hair Dryer

I have super long hair and the only way I can curl it is in rollers overnight. I use setting lotion on slightly dampened hair but I usually still have to zap it with the blowdryer in the morning. I've been looking at soft bonnet hair dryers online and I think it would be nice to wear one in the morning while I put on makeup to save time and make sure my hair is dry. I was wondering what brands any of you have tried & liked. After looking on Amazon and reading customer reviews the complaints I keep seeing are that the dryers do not put out enough air to heat the hair uniformly and that the bonnet tear/rip. I would prefer something I can order online that is new vs something on ebay, so any recommendations would be appreciated. Has anyone tried the Conair soft bonnet dryer? The price looks good but I'm wondering if anyone has used it? Thanks! :)

Georgia Peach

New in Town
Daisy Buchanan said:
Thanks Miss Neecerie and Lizzie!
I read a lot of write ups on all the different ones. It does seem that they do take a long time to work, and they aren't nearly as powerful as a hand held dryer. But, I figured I can just sit and watch a movie in the evening while I have it on. I ended up finding the "Hot Tools" brand for a decent price, and this one seemed to have the most positive reviews.
I also bought a triple barrel curling iron by the same brand. I shall see. For me, sitting with a hot bonnet on my head seems much more appealing than trying to hold onto a hair dryer for prolonged periods of time.
I was also interested in them for deep conditioning, but my main use would be to set my hair so I don't have to sleep in damp hair with curlers in. When I set my hair it is barely wet, just misted with setting lotion, so I'm hoping that since it will be mostly dry, I won't need to sit under it for more than an hour. I got the soft bonnet, so I can sit on the couch or in bed with it on. I just hope it doesn't over heat!!

I can't decide between the Hot Tools & Conair dryer! How did you like your Hot Tools bonnet? Pros? Cons?

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have one from the 60's that i bought from someone on here. I tend to only use it on those nights I set my hair straight after washing, and only for 20 mins or so before going to bed as my heavily bleached hair takes eons to dry.

Tatum

Practically Family
I have an old Westinghouse soft bonnet dryer, circa 1960's, that I picked up on Ebay. It was in great condition, works wonderfully and has saved me on a few occasions.

It definitely takes at least an hour for my hair to dry (from damp), however, so if any of these new ones work well I would be interested!

I love the Target bag idea...I wish I had thought of that months ago!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner