Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bonnet Hair Dryers

MissJeanavive

One of the Regulars
Happy Day, got a Westinghouse Dryer for $10.50 Ebay

2974661853_a51153efc8_m.jpg

VINTAGE WESTINGHOUSE HAIR DRYER WITH NAIL DRYER, INCLUDES BONNET AND HOSE ATTACHMENT

Yahoo! Happy to start my day by winning a Westinghouse Dryer on Ebay for $10.50 including the case.

I have been setting my hair and sleeping on rollers at night. What a pain in my neck.

Went out to breakfast last night after the Gatsby Dance with friends and the waitress commented on my hair. I shared my tips, about the wet set, setting lotion, and sleeping in rollers. My friend Gayle told me she did that every night, from High School through college because the hot-rollers hadn't come out yet.

Thursday night at the Le Colonial for dancing I had another friend comment on my hair, asking who was doing it - I said I have been. That set I did in 5 mins. with hot rollers since I had lost track of time and got out late. Didn't last the night though because I did not spray enough product on it. PRODUCT is Key.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
I recently found this nifty soft bonnet dryer for $3.99 at Value Village. It works well, and I love the vintage plastic-y smell :) I'm still looking for a good hard bonnet one, though. I have no idea if it'll work better, but I have fond memories of sitting under them as a kid - and they felt nice!

2774421601_fd6c4908b6.jpg

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Miss RM said:
I recently found this nifty soft bonnet dryer for $3.99 at Value Village. It works well, and I love the vintage plastic-y smell :) I'm still looking for a good hard bonnet one, though. I have no idea if it'll work better, but I have fond memories of sitting under them as a kid - and they felt nice!

2774421601_fd6c4908b6.jpg

I love Value Village! I got my soft bonnet dryer there for $5.99. I also got a table mounted Singer Spartan sewing machine for $14.99. It wasn't in great shape, but I just finished fixing it up this week. It's shiny like a new penny, and sews wonderfully.

Miss RM

Familiar Face
I swear that Value Village helps me keep my sanity! My trips there soothe the soul :) There's a great one in the town where my parents live. SO much vintage stuff to be had .. and no influx of university students or antique dealers to pick it over before I get there! I've seen a couple of beautiful vintage sewing machines there, but sadly I don't have the space for one right now. It's always so sad to leave them behind :-(

PS

A-List Customer
63a8_1.JPG

Seriously? There is NO WAY!
I am searching for a bonnet dryer. Not sure whether I want a hard or soft...just want one, but whatever that contraption is...No thanks! lol

PS

A-List Customer
TexasGirl

I caved and purchased the one you mentioned. I used it last night. But the back bottom of my hair didn't set even after 50 minutes. And I swear my hair seems a little more oily? From sitting under the heat for so long.

Anyhow, do you have any tips or suggestions for using it? I'll try a few more sets before taking it back to the beauty shop.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Hmm, I don't know. God did not bless me with thick hair, mine's pretty fine. Did you have your head up in there pretty good? You may need one of the soft bonnet ones- but not that silver one you posted-lol!!!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
The hard hat dryers if you do not have fine thinner hair, take longer and you kind of have to adjust your head occasionally to make sure everything gets the heat directly. Also they can have cool spots, where one area doesn't have the proper air flow, or it just is cooler than the rest. The "hats" on those table top models tend to run smaller sized than the ones that sit behind chairs at the salons or are portable (on stands)

The soft bonnet dryers are nice because it is like a shower cap on your head, so the air is definitely going to get everywhere. ALthough you do look like a science fiction photo while wearing it. I did a bunch of ladies hair one day and one lady was wearing the SBD, and we all died of laughter watching it fill up with hair. For a moment, we thought the one lady might fly away. ;) lol But it did a great job! And it was one I picked up for $5.00 off of ebay!

Good luck with it! :)

PS

A-List Customer
Red and Texas,
I think I am going to re-box this bonnet up and take it back in the morning. I just don't think my head was far enough into the bonnet. I tried getting pillows under my tush to push me higher into the bonnet and it didn't work very well.
I do have thick hair. I guess I just saved some money!

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
~*Red*~ said:
The hard hat dryers if you do not have fine thinner hair, take longer and you kind of have to adjust your head occasionally to make sure everything gets the heat directly. Also they can have cool spots, where one area doesn't have the proper air flow, or it just is cooler than the rest. The "hats" on those table top models tend to run smaller sized than the ones that sit behind chairs at the salons or are portable (on stands)

The soft bonnet dryers are nice because it is like a shower cap on your head, so the air is definitely going to get everywhere. ALthough you do look like a science fiction photo while wearing it. I did a bunch of ladies hair one day and one lady was wearing the SBD, and we all died of laughter watching it fill up with hair. For a moment, we thought the one lady might fly away. ;) lol But it did a great job! And it was one I picked up for $5.00 off of ebay!

Good luck with it! :)

Red! I am right there with you... I have used the alien looking dryers and they have been the best with my thick long hair. I just don’t stand in front of any mirrors when I have it on.. I might scare myself ;)

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
When I was in high school, I use to use my mother's bonnet dryer (from when she was in high school) every night. I use to use it with giant rollers, to straighten my hair. It took well over 2 hours to dry. That's just way too much time and I have to wash my hair every day.
I bought a hard helmet dryer, but you have to set it up above above and behind you (on a table top). I agree, it doesn't dry the bottom part of your head. I think, over all, it dries faster then the bonnet dryer, though. [huh]

Joonie

Familiar Face
Oh, this brought back sweet memories as a child, watching my Mama's hair drying as she did her fabulous nails and doing the bills- all at once.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I have a GE Debutante bonnet hair dryer from the 1960's. I love it! Its so pretty and pink. I love to sit and watch an old movie on the weekends while setting my hair. It does take quite a while to dry my hair though. I guess the secret is to have your hair only slightly damp to begin with. I only have sponge rollers at the moment. What rollers are best to get a good set from one of these dryers? I haven't using setting lotion as yet,only some mousse or gel. I'm new to this. Have any of you girls got any suggestions? :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lindabelle, my mother used to wet set her hair twice a week when I was a child then sit under a bonnet hairdryer. She used the rollers that are hollow, usually with a brush type bit in the middle that helped to grip the ends of the hair. You need the special plastic pins to hold them in. Also she always put a heavy duty hairnet on to hold all the rollers in place.

Her hair was quite fine and only about shoulder length and she didn't use any setting lotion but she would sit under that thing for about 1 1/2 - 2 hours! She did set it from properly wet though. When it was completely dry she'd take all the rollers out and go to bed without brushing the hair till the next day.

Everyone always used to comment on what beautiful hair she had. I always loved it in that style.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice Miss Sis. I also have fine hair. I will have to hunt down some of those rollers! I sat under the dryer for over an hour yesterday and it definately made a difference. I must admit some of my hair was still damp even after that long. i think I might be rolling to much hair in each roller. The smaller rollers with less hair turned out well. It is still hot weather over here in Oz so I felt well cooked after that hour! lol It should be alot cooler soon so I will enjoy sitting under it then. I will definately try your advice of not brushing out the curl until the next morning. Will let you know how it goes. :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Your hair looks quite long in your pic. You will need to sit under the dryer for at least two hours, I should think, even if your hair is more damp than wet when you set.

Try setting it then sitting out in the sun for a bit then going under the dryer. That might speed things up, but you have to face facts that it does take a long time. Less hair sections on more rollers will definitely help too. :)

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
My hair is fairly long. I actually have only just got it cut on Thursday and she took quite a bit off the length. So you could imagine it was getting quite difficult to do. Thats why I bit the bullet and braved the hairdressers. I keep forgetting that its a quite long so it will take a while to dry. Its all a learning curve. Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated..:)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
There is nothing like a vintage GE dryer. I have several that I have bought off Ebay. They all come with carrying cases. I set my hair and it takes about an hour. My hair is long, down to my bra-strap so it does take a while to dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner