Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boot pocket

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Friends, I made some "D pocket" boot compartments. I am planing to use this pockets for my engineering boots.
This sample is from a 1.2 mm HH in medium brown. I used my consew sewing machine to create the holes so that it can be hand stitched. I have different orientations of the pocket to facilitate either sides on the boots. I will be using crown military #5 Olive drab zippers, for this one. However, I think #3 will be more symmetrical to the size of the bag.
This one is my first one I made, but I am sure I can improve or change the pattern.

I welcome any input.

d pocket hh.jpg

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is so cool. Can't wait to see it attached to the boot shaft.

Just curious, are you adding another welt pocket to be sandwiched in between?

I used to stash a large bill under my leather insole just in case of emergency. This pocket would be much better option.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is so cool. Can't wait to see it attached to the boot shaft.

Just curious, are you adding another welt pocket to be sandwiched in between?

I used to stash a large bill under my leather insole just in case of emergency. This pocket would be much better option.

My design is a little different. Only one pocket similar to the vanson's commando jacket. I want this to be a functional secure pocket. to keep it light, The pocket will USE the boot's hide as the backing for the inner section. I got the idea of making the holes with my industrial singer because my friend wanted to sew the pocket himself. He wanted an OD mili #5 crowns because I have plenty of them. For my next design, I will be using my original buco j24 d pocket as my reference and a bell shape #5 will be used just like the original.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I agree that it’s a fun project and looks sort of cool. However, I’d seen the pockets VEB did when he made them and my question was why? My life already has so many pockets I can’t keep track of which i put things in. Also, many pants are already difficult to fit over boot shafts.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I agree that it’s a fun project and looks sort of cool. However, I’d seen the pockets VEB did when he made them and my question was why? My life already has so many pockets I can’t keep track of which i put things in. Also, many pants are already difficult to fit over boot shafts.

Friend, those type of pants might be too tight for me. The pocket might not be for everyone. The way I have those pockets have never interfered with the jeans. In the past, I have seen many other types of pockets such knife and credit cards. Originally, they were used back in the 50s as I can remember. Perhaps earlier in ranch and the field.

For me, I like the design for placing valuable items such as id, keys, and money. At night clubs and when riding I like to properly secure my valuables.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting project, I like this idea a lot. I would find it very handy to have some emergency cash stowed in there. Particularly useful in warmer weather in cities: I'm always wary of how vulnerable I am to pickpockets when it gets too hot to wear a jacket and all my wallets have to go in my trousers. When travelling thought airports, I've found an mc type vest very handy that way: everything gets tucked in that, then I don't have the hassle of emptying my trouser pockets. As a rule, the less I have in my trews the better - mostly these days it's keys and the inevitable dog poo bags on one side, and on the other a small, leather coin purse and the smaller leather wallet I keep my work id / driving licence / travelpass in. It would be nice to have a pocket on the boot perhaps not for those, but for things like emergency cash or a small pocket knife. I don't tend to fly with boots on, but for generic wearing around the city...

roadking04

Practically Family
^^^ To Edward and the other guys who like to stash a little extra cash on them, I have a leather "money" belt. It is a very thick leather belt with a zipper on the inside. It says it can handle about 20 bills that are neatly folded. The company is Bullhide belts.

I also like the idea of a pocket on your boots. I know Wesco boots can add a pocket, but it can only go on their longer shaft boots, I believe 14".

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Interesting project, I like this idea a lot. I would find it very handy to have some emergency cash stowed in there. Particularly useful in warmer weather in cities: I'm always wary of how vulnerable I am to pickpockets when it gets too hot to wear a jacket and all my wallets have to go in my trousers. When travelling thought airports, I've found an mc type vest very handy that way: everything gets tucked in that, then I don't have the hassle of emptying my trouser pockets. As a rule, the less I have in my trews the better - mostly these days it's keys and the inevitable dog poo bags on one side, and on the other a small, leather coin purse and the smaller leather wallet I keep my work id / driving licence / travelpass in. It would be nice to have a pocket on the boot perhaps not for those, but for things like emergency cash or a small pocket knife. I don't tend to fly with boots on, but for generic wearing around the city...

I totally agree with you. The reason I like pockets in other normal locations is security and safety. I often ride down to places and use my passport card. Personally, often try to keep it in the most secure place I have. In the past, I have know people for various reasons people loosing their valuables. Also, if you get mugged, the bad guys would take your items from the usual pockets and will not search your boots. My friend was rob and his Cal leather's jacket was taken. He had his passport and his wallet in it. Often I do not take my passport when I visit some of my favorite places in Sonora or Baja Mexico. To be honest, I have seen boot pockets made by my riding friends. I have also seen the coolest ones here. I just love that two tone boot and leather combo. I just thought I would make something SECURE and cool that I would be happy to use.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
That's right. It could happen. Belt is a good option. But realistically I have not hear of the bad guy taking the boots. In a hold up, interactions are faster and less time to look at boots. But I would never count anything out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot