Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boots for soggy terrain

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I perused the existing threads and didn't find much on the subject, so I thought I'd launch a new one.
Question: I expect to be spending a lot of time in an area where there's a lot of rather soggy terrain for the foreseeable future. Like right out the back door terrain. It's also terrain with a lot of brush and brambles. I'd like to find a pair of very light weight boots that will be suitable, but that I can just take off when I come into the house, and put on some other footwear. I expect to do a little hiking, but nothing too heavy. Basically, walking the golden retriever in the back woods type boots.
Any suggestions?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HI

I think you're looking at what are called "hog lot boots". These aren't hiking boots, they're for slopping hogs in, walking to the mail box in a monsoon etc.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/workwear-clothing-footwear/mens-clothing/mens-footwear/mens-pvc-rubber-footwear/servus-reg-men-s-black-comfort-technology-economy-knee-boot-635662999

When I was an electrician, we all kept a pair in our size in the truck. They pull right on and off. PERSONALLY, I'd try these from any farm store / Walmart. If they turn out reasonably well, then you're done. If they annoy you, then buy a better fitting pair of boots. It all depends on how long you intend to be wearing then at a time. I liked them fine working as an electrician, you stand somewhere and work. As a Scout leader, they're not what you're after. You don't want to walk 2 miles in those all at once, they don't fit that well.

Hope this helps.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Go with the L.L. Bean boots. They last forever. I still have two pair (one "regular shoe" height, the other regular boot height) I got in 1975-77 that are still going strong.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I would recommend a pair of decent fitting tall rubber boots, like what the Brits call Wellies or we in Hawaii call Portagee boots (Portuguese boots). Can go pretty cheap on them (most hunting supply places, Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. carry some for less than $50) or pretty expensive (like Le Chameau), etc. If you have a good ankle fit and arch support its amazing how far you can walk in rubber boots actually. I do most of my bird hunting in a good pair of rubber boots.

Bean style boots would be good too.

Flipped Lid

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Damned ankle-high hiking boots that are twenty-four years old. They have a Gore-Tex liner and keep my feet very dry in the wettest of conditions. They aren't cheap, but unless you put hundreds of miles on them per year, they will last you a lifetime. Make sure you get a good fit if you're going to be walking longer distances.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Those LL Bean's with the rubber duck bill front we call 'Derry Boots' in Ireland. I personally wear a pair of Danner's which I've worn since the military and swear by for hill trekking in wet and boggy country of which Ireland and Scotland have plenty. I can do 25 miles across country in pretty testing and 'wet' hill land and my feet are still comfy and dry. I wear a military black cordura and leather with Goretex inner, but I'm sure they do a more civilian 'look' one in similar materials. They are light, durable, tough, good commando soles for grip and give high ankle support, which is something I need.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I swear by Bean Boots. I have an older 16" pair and a pair of the 8" thinsulate ones I got new for winter wear. They keep the water out, are comfortable, and don't look bad.

29495_407087245908_630485908_4236385_3374444_n.jpg

There are a number of fine outdoor boot makers but from experience I can also say that Danners are exceptional. Some of the new military boots that are just above the ankle can work well.

Wet ground and wet weather aren't too much of a problem with many of the new boots, it's when you have to pass thru a stream and get water inside the boot that the trouble usually begins.

For me wool socks tend to make for better comfort.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters