Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boots to wear with breeks

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Breeks are specifically Scottish, so I think the footwear should be Scottish, too.

Veldtschoen. As Scottish as they can be...;)

Alexi

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Breeks are specifically Scottish, so I think the footwear should be Scottish, too.

Veldtschoen. As Scottish as they can be...;)

ehh what you folks call plus fours I guess, I'd call them knickers but I know what that means on the otherside of the pond. How about breeches?

I'm looking for something to match up with my anglo-american look
BRBRbord2.jpg

4015321082008123650.jpg

2586.jpg

web12bcartbelt.jpg

grampiantrellisancblue.jpg

Indian%20Army%20Sweater.jpg

Alexi

One of the Regulars
bburtner@moran said:
Looks like you are ready for some upland game hunting?How about the LLbean 16" old stand by...?
Spot on! It will be for birding, and such mucking about.
I need something that breaths a little better then the beans however, hence no wellies.

Schnees

Schnees boots,they are made in the good old USA,google Schnees boots,you may be happy,when upland hunting in the Catskills in late fall I wear my LaCrosse"burley boots,Le Chameau`s are much to expensive....

pipvh

Practically Family
As an aside, how do you like your Indian Army jumper? I've been meaning to get one of those for a while.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
pipvh said:
As an aside, how do you like your Indian Army jumper? I've been meaning to get one of those for a while.

dunno, it's on it's way from the UAE at the moment :rolleyes:

Alexi

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Apologies, I thought you meant breeks...

from wiki:
"Breeks are the Scots term for trousers. It can be inferred that this relates to the Latin references to the braccae that were worn by the ancient Celts.
The term breeks is often used to refer to a trouser similar to plus fours, especially when worn in Scotland and engaging in field sports such as deer stalking, and the activities of taking pheasant, duck, partridge and other game birds. Whilst breeks are a neater, trimmer fit, plus twos are slightly wider with an extra 2 inches of material to fold over the knee, and plus fours a further 4 inches of material(and a wider, baggier fit)."

so short pants for hunting, ya ken?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Obviously, habitual wear is different in different countries, but in Scotland the important part of the wiki definition is underlined...

"Whilst breeks are a neater, trimmer fit, plus twos are slightly wider with an extra 2 inches of material to fold over the knee, and plus fours a further 4 inches of material(and a wider, baggier fit)."

I believe that your breeches are 'plus twos' or 'plus fours' which (in Scotland) would be worn with very different footwear than breeks, which are more like 18th/19th breeches in fit. Hence my confusion.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Obviously, habitual wear is different in different countries, but in Scotland the important part of the wiki definition is underlined...

"Whilst breeks are a neater, trimmer fit, plus twos are slightly wider with an extra 2 inches of material to fold over the knee, and plus fours a further 4 inches of material(and a wider, baggier fit)."

I believe that your breeches are 'plus twos' or 'plus fours' which (in Scotland) would be worn with very different footwear than breeks, which are more like 18th/19th breeches in fit. Hence my confusion.

well the ones I have are by Barbour and sold as breeks, I know they are an English company but the Fact that their name is scottish has to count for something, no?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Terms lose their meaning over time. With respect to you and to Barbour, they aren't the same as traditional Scottish breek.

Alexi said:
well the ones I have are by Barbour and sold as breeks, I know they are an English company but the Fact that their name is scottish has to count for something, no?

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Donald where's yer troosers!?

:eek:fftopic:

The term "breeks" is actually still in common usage in Scotland, especially in the central area around Glasgow and Edinburgh (and probably as far north as Dundee and Aberdeen). In my experience it's most often used in an informal, and usually slightly humorous way, to describe any type of trousers, as in:

"Och jings! That dug's tore the erse oot o' ma breeks!"
("Oh dear me! That dog has ripped the seat of one's trousers!") ;)

Basically it's used as an alternative to the more common "troosers".

I've only recently seen it used to refer specifically to tweed breeches on the Bookster site. I had assumed they were borrowing it, in a somewhat tongue in cheek manner, from Scots.

And "trews" are something else again entirely...

PS to the OP - all your gear looks pretty natty! How about a pair of these to go with it:

http://www.williamlennon.co.uk/footwear/78N-hob-nailed-boots.html

Cobden

Practically Family
I'd personally fo for a pair of brown leather toe capped boots (I know you've already ordered from WPG, but there british officers boot would, I think, be just the ticket - though pukka ones would be better as they are more fitted and arch better and are, on the whole, just niftier)

The WW2 Indian Army Jumper is a very nice item, that, unfortunatly, bears no resemblence the the WW2 Indian Army jumper - though for non re-enactment purposes are rather snazzy (excluding circumstances where you are wishing to portray a senior member of the Iraqi Ba'athist party in the closing decades of the 20th century, in which case they are indeed pretty accurate)

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Cobden said:
I'd personally fo for a pair of brown leather toe capped boots (I know you've already ordered from WPG, but there british officers boot would, I think, be just the ticket - though pukka ones would be better as they are more fitted and arch better and are, on the whole, just niftier)
so these?
img276.jpg

What are the pukka boots you reference?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR