Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Borsalino Allessandria

D. Hats

One of the Regulars

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
I am far from expert, but the liner, sweatband and tag look identical to a modern Borsalino I own. Mine is very, very soft felt with a whip-stitched brim and very straight crown, but I don't know the model name.

You will find some who denigrate modern Borsalinos, but I have been very pleased with mine both as regards quality and wearing characteristics. However, I don't own any vintage Borsalinos and I'm sure the modern pale by comparison.

For a modern Borsalino, my guess is that you didn't pay much more (if any) than the going price. And utimately, if you are pleased, who is to cast aspersions?

Dave

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Welllll, since you asked. To be honest and not trying to sock you in the stomach, but this is a new borsalino. Now some here may disagree with me but I think that more will agree. I've seen the new borsalino's in person, I held my vintage one up next to it and even the sales clerk said "obviously they don't make them like they used to". If if makes you feel better, the new ones like this cost around 235 to 265 dollars. The sad news is the felt quality and workmanship on the new ones are no where near what the vintage ones are.

Now some here have had good experiences with the newer ones so wait and see what it's like when you get it. It may turn out okay, but I never bother to bid on the newer ones. For the same money there are too many others that are so much better.

fedoralover

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
This one, though you can't tell in these photos, does have a whip stitched brim. I asked the seller a couple days before the bidding closed and he sent me a photo of the brim.
I did look on the internet at available Borsalinos and did not see any that had the whip stitched brim (maybe I didn't look hard enough), consequently I judged it older than new, but not necessarily vintage.

I should have posted the link here prior to bidding... hind site !!!

I think I shall slow my pace on purchases and attempt to bring my knowledge up to speed...

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
I'll clean it up and wear it proudly, whether it stands up to the elements or whether it doesn't.... in the future I will speak of this era Borsalino with personal knowledge !!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have 5 criteria for hats on eBay:

1. Naturally, they must suit my taste;
2. naturally, they must fit my head;
3. naturally, they must be in good condition;
4. they must be more than 50 years old;
5. they must be from top-quality makers and/or stores.

Criterion # 5 is especially important to me. If I see a '40s fedora on eBay that was made by, say, the English hatter "Scott & Co.", I do research on the maker. When I find out that Scott made hats "by appointment to King George VI", and that Churchill owned a top hat by Scott & Co., then I can be pretty sure that the Scott fedora will be of prime quality. Also, I reckon that the very best menswear stores of the '30s and '40s sold only the very best hats. A '30s fedora from "Rogers Peet" or "Oviatt's" will be a great fedora -- period.

So far, these assumptions have stood me in good stead.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
My criteria for a fur felt fedora...

1. It must be relatively inexpensive.

2. I have to be able to try them on and feel it, unless it's from a reputable vendor.

3. Vintage, schmintage...give me a working hat that someone else didn't sweat in. I'd hate to come down with a case of 40 year old head lice or vintage ring worm. Icky stuff.

I agree on the alessandria. Looks new. Not a particularly bad thing. I'm sure it's a good serviceable hat.

As for buying on eBay:

1) must be cheap-ish (i'd rather spend my money on vintage clothing)

2) preferrably vintage (pre-50s)

3) seller should at least sound like they know what they're talking about - then it's less likely the hat will arrive rolled up in a shoe box.

4) I agree with Marc on the name thing. Borsalinos generally are out of my range of price, so good menswear stores are a nice guide to the quality of the product.

bk

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Poor Borsalino !! Give em a break . They can't be that bad , can they?
Anyway , the hat pictured is new , similar to the Como style that is very popular today . Just enjoy the hat ,period.:cool2:

riccardo

Practically Family
www.borsalino.it

Hi to all,
i can't believe that this site is under construction.
It' so since the last spring!!!!!!

Best regards.
Riccardo

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
With all due respect to all who like the new borsalinos, I come to this forum to learn things, so why would I want someone to just "shine me on" and tell me that I got a good deal on an excellent hat when in reality I did neither. What's the point in that?? I don't sell hats or make them, I just collect them and I don't want to collect something that's not worth the money when there are better alternatives out there.

I've seen the $400. 100% beaver Borsalinos and held them in my hand and I've seen the regular one's that sell for anywhere from $225 to $265 depending on the store. I've held them in my hand too. Now if you want me to say these are great hats and you should buy one and "just enjoy" it, sorry I can't with a good conscience do that. For the same money or a little less you can have Art Fawcett or Steve Delk custom make you one out of 100% beaver felt and have a high quality hat really worth the money.

In edit here I want to say that I won't disparage other "hatters" but Borsalino is a company relying on it's past reputation selling off the shelf factory run hats that just don't match the quality of their previous work. As long as you know that when you buy one then it's obviously up to you to decide to go that route.

fedoralover

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Buy Vintage!

I'll continue to buy vintage hats until its cost more than the custom hatters then I'll go with them. Peter :cool2:

Barry

Practically Family
Sure, I'd wear a vintage hat.

I just can't seem find them in my noggin size. :rage: :cry:.

Until I find a secret cache of 64's I'll have to buy off the shelf and custom.

Barry

Practically Family
Peter,

I usually fall into the XL range. Although I'm 5'8 with a medium frame my head is fairly large and "oval shaped" according to a hatter. My new borsalino is an 8 (usa). It fits perfectly. So far I have have found hats that fit in the 61-64 range. My Akubra fed is loose - it's a 61.

Barry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot