Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Boston Advice Sought - Dates Chosen!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this is the place for my post, so I apologize if I messed up.

I am looking into heading up to Boston for a weekend, probably mid-May, and could use some advice and info on a couple of things.

My main concern is finding a nice place to stay that isn't very expensive, so as to afford the trip on the whole. I have no AAA or travel memberships, so I'm going strictly non-discount. Any one know of a good place?

Second, I've done some research on things to do, but I know there are locals on this board. I would welcome recommendations for Friday nights, Saturdays, and Sunday mornings/early afternoons.

Third, and connected to the previous issue; I've seen some events for dancing with live music. Salsa, swing, that sort of stuff, with a lesson before hand. I'd like to try one. If anyone knows of a specific such venue that's notably good, please let me know.

Lastly, I'm open to meeting up with a Lounger or two while I'm in town, so... just give it some thought. ;)

Thanks!

Irish4

Familiar Face
I don't know if you are into good beer..........and it has nothing to do with vintage,but I would visit the Samuel Adams Brewery

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi NB13

This place may work for you It's called Ryles http://www.rylesjazz.com/ There is Salsa dance upstairs and live music downstairs. The food is so so.

Also Johnny D's http://www.johnnyds.com/ Rockin Blues. A FL member Craig Robertson played there recently.

As far as a place to stay I will ask around, but, I suggest you do not stay in Boston proper very expensive. The out lying towns Bedford for example are less expensive and access to Boston is a
snap. :)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'm pleased to piggyback on this thread. I'm headed to Boston on Weds for a professional meeting that ends Saturday. I have about 2 hours extra time on Weds afternoon, but none on Saturday - so what I can see and do will be limited to the evenings of Wed-Thur-Fri.

I'm staying at the Boston Marriott Copely Place, 110 Huntington. I need to do some research on Boston this weekend, as I've never been there before.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I respectfully disagree with Carlisle. If you don't stay in Boston, don't come. One of the joys of this city is that it is a walkable city. I can't imagine the joy of coming here without it. The furthest I would stay out would be Kenmore, or maybe Coolidge Corner in Brookline.

There are some more affordable hotels, ask Paddy. The Copley Square and the Hilton Financial District, though a bit out of the way is a beautiful art deco building.

Pilgrim, walk across the street and have a drink in the Fairmont Copley Square's Oak Bar, not to be missed.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
Pilgrim, walk across the street and have a drink in the Fairmont Copley Square's Oak Bar, not to be missed.

Will do! And I'll check the place on the Internet to learn more about it. (Edit: Must be the Fairmont Copley Plaza...interesting place!)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pilgrim said:
Will do! And I'll check the place on the Internet to learn more about it. (Edit: Must be the Fairmont Copley Plaza...interesting place!)
It's one of my favorite places in the entire world. It was modeled after a British officer's club and was built around the time of the Titanic. Drinks are expensive, but very good.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
The furthest I would stay out would be Kenmore, or maybe Coolidge Corner in Brookline.

There are some more affordable hotels, ask Paddy. The Copley Square and the Hilton Financial District, though a bit out of the way is a beautiful art deco building.

The only other time I've been in Boston, I stayed just off Coolidge Corner, at Brookline Manor Inn... but their number seems to be disconnected. :( I liked the place.

I'll look into the places suggested so far. Keep the ideas coming.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hemingway Jones said:
I respectfully disagree with Carlisle. If you don't stay in Boston, don't come. One of the joys of this city is that it is a walkable city. I can't imagine the joy of coming here without it. The furthest I would stay out would be Kenmore, or maybe Coolidge Corner in Brookline.

I agree with Hemingway if cash is no object. I am thinking ... if you are driving from PA NB-13. If you stay outside Boston take the 20 min drive in. Park, then walk til ya can't. The architecture is stunning, the people are a blast(very friendly) and the shopping is out of this world. Also, you may be able to get half price tickets to shows. There is a booth...if you are interested I will be happy to do some research for you.

The Commons and Garden across the street is stunning. :)

D

drafttek

I agree with staying in town. It's worth the extra cash. Don't need a car or a cab. Just walk. Or take the T if you must. There's something to see on virtually every block. I've walked from Fenway to Faneuil Hall with many stops along the way.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
OK, the trip has been booked! I'll be rolling in the afternoon of May 29 and leaving the afternoon of the 31st.

I found a place to stay in Brookline, near Coolridge Corner, and got tickets to see John Williams at the Pops.

At some point I will squeeze in a whale watch and some time at Faneuil Hall and Boston Common.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if one of the Alden dealers in the area carries 405's?

And of course, thank you to all who chimed in.
I'd love to grab a bite with a member while I'm in town. You know where to find me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael