Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BOTH SIDES OF THE TWEED! - Show us your tweed suits, sport coats and pants

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I've always marvelled at Stewart's suit in "It's a Wonderful Life". I also very much love the cozy looking one he's wearing in "'Harvey":

Annex - Stewart, James (Harvey)_02.jpg

Annex - Stewart, James (Harvey)_03.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I like the fact that many actors (most notably Carey Grant) were not just well dressed on screen but also in real life. That's probably why the costume department trusted them to choose their own costumes.

... and sometimes their own outside tailors, although the big studios' costume department tailors often equaled the very best anywhere.

Hollywood's lower-tier "Gower Gulch" studios --such as "Republic"-- expected all of its actors to bring and wear their own clothes for films set in the present. There just wasn't enough money for full-scale costume departments.

de Bergerac

New in Town
Rather than simply leech advice, knowledge and wisdom, I thought perhaps I might contribute a little by posting some pictures of my Harris Tweed jackets here. They're neither particularly vintage, nor in any way extraordinary other than that being made from Harris Tweed makes them pretty extraordinary by default. Or at least that what I think, since I absolutely love the stuff.

Starting out, here's one in brown barleycorn from good old Marks & Sparks. Certainly a contemporary number, since the tweed is relatively light and wonderfully soft, making it the most comfortable jacket I own.

Jacket-2.jpg
Jacket-4.jpg

The next is a three-button from German company Barutti, in a specially-made-for-them extra thin Harris Tweed. Not exactly politically correct, given the lamentable disappearance of the traditional stiff and heavy fabric, but I think it nevertheless makes for a nice jacket.

Jacket-9.jpg
Jacket-10.jpg

Then for a lovely houndstooth in green, blue, burgundy and dark beige or tan. Only the Orb label in this one, so no idea who made it.

Jacket-5.jpg
Jacket-6.jpg

Next up is the only jacket which may actually be vintage. The tweed is thicker and stiffer than the rest and it weighs almost twice as much as the next heaviest jacket. The label is also of an older design, although how old exactly I don't know. I've sent off the reference numbers to the Harris Tweed Authority, but have not heard back from them yet. Either way, this one is perfect for the season and keeps me nice and warm even when the thermometer bar sinks below 0C. It's also much more wind proof than the others, being much more tightly woven.

Jacket-11.jpg
Jacket-12.jpg

de Bergerac

New in Town
The penultimate jacket is another German job, in a wonderful blue-green with overchecks in deep rust-red and navy.

Jacket-7.jpg
Jacket-8.jpg

This last one arrived today and has not lost its creases yet. A very traditional houndstooth in green and brown on beige. I'd been looking for this particular pattern, in these colours and in my size for quite a while and my patience was finally rewarded. Thicker than all but the tan herringbone above, it may well be the second oldest as well. Unfortunately there's no reference number, as it only has the smaller sleeve label rather than the full Orb label.

Jacket-14.jpg
Jacket-13.jpg

And that's it really. The photos were taken in a mix of daylight and fluorescent light, so I couldn't get the colours quite right on the main pictures. The smaller swatches are all fairly correct however.

I really ought to give it rest with these six, but I just love the endlessly fascinating colours, textures and designs of Harris Tweed, so I strongly suspect a few more will come along. I could do with a couple more three-button jackets anyway, or at least that's what I tell myself to justify my slight obsession.

Edit: with the exception of the last one, all jackets came to me via Vintage Whistles, which I heartily recommend. The selection is the largest on the net I think and Denise is a true pleasure to deal with. The last jacket I picked up at Savvy Row, where the selection is smaller, but the proprietor Paul is also the soul of service mindedness.

Last edited:

AntonAAK

Practically Family
That is nice, Marc but a little too small for me unfortunately.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a MTM three piece from Bookster. Was initially going for a simple mid-grey or charcoal herringbone but this Harris tweed has rather taken my fancy - http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH PAGE/CLOTH GALLERY/images/Country-Herringbone-Check-H.jpg

Still not sure whether to go with the conservative option or the slightly more flamboyant one but I have ordered some swatches and will decide when I have the fabrics in my hand.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That is nice, Marc but a little too small for me unfortunately.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on a MTM three piece from Bookster. Was initially going for a simple mid-grey or charcoal herringbone but this Harris tweed has rather taken my fancy - http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH PAGE/CLOTH GALLERY/images/Country-Herringbone-Check-H.jpg

Still not sure whether to go with the conservative option or the slightly more flamboyant one but I have ordered some swatches and will decide when I have the fabrics in my hand.

If I was feeling in an adventurous mood, I would go for either the Buie tweed:

http://http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE/CLOTH%20GALLERY/images/e%20BUIE%20TWEED_jpg.jpg

or the Ness:
http://www.tweed-jacket.com/CLOTH%20PAGE/CLOTH%20GALLERY/images/l_%20NESS%20TWEED_JPG.jpg
I have a cap in the Ness tweed, I adore it:
oversizebrown3.jpg

One day I must get a suit in it to go with the cap.

Good luck with your cloth choice.

Red Leader

One of the Regulars
Okay, I'm brand new here, so go easy on me guys!

This is my first 'sport coat' pick up:

p1201475.jpg

p1201479.jpg

p1201476.jpg

p1201478.jpg

Made by Cricketeer. I'm guessing it is 1950s based on the logo, the tag and the style...but I'm still a novice so I've got a lot to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy