Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Tie sizes

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Forgive the ignorance, but as an old professor once pointed out, "the only real question is a stupid question: if you know the answer, don't ask; you're just showing off."

My 'real' question has to do with bow ties. I'd like to acquire some vintage ebay ones, and I figure I can learn to tie them with practice and youtube, but I'm unsure of overall length and size designations. I see some that say 14, for instance. I wear a 17 neck size in shirts, so should I be looking for size 17 bow ties? Thanks for the guidance. I looked through the thread with a search, but couldn't get an answer to that particularity.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
It's been my experience that most bow ties are adjustable in sizes from approximately 14 1/2 to size 17 1/2, although I suppose there may be some custom made for specific sizes. Keep looking, I'm certain you'll find adjustable self-tie bows that will easily fit you. And by the way, once you begin wearing them, you likely won't be able to stop-bows are very addictive!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
If you've never worn a bow-tie before, the experience of having one on and being seen in it is something you'll have to transition into. It definitely creates a wholly different look than a necktie. This certainly isn't a bad thing-- I own a midnight blue and black paisley bow tie, myself-- but it is definitely different. It will be a matter both of getting used to how you see yourself in a bow tie, and how others perceive you; you will get more unusual looks wearing a bow tie with a retro outfit than you would a "standard" retro outfit with a neck tie.

Geesie

Practically Family
There's probably a bow tie thread somewhere else, but...

I have a half-dozen bow ties. Love 'em. I wear your standard four-in-hand for more conservative occasions but I pull out the bows when I want to feel special. :)

Red patterned, light blue and dark blue paisleys, silver herringbone, red and black stripe.

And of course, black.

They're all adjustable. I prefer the ones with the hook and eyelets in the back, but either way I need adjustable ties because my fingers just don't seem to be able to get a nonadjustable one tight enough.

Lou

One of the Regulars
Please let us know how your venture into bow ties goes. The only time I wore one as an adult was to my wedding. I've come across a few that had terrific patterns, but have yet to muster the confidence to wear one with everyday attire. Now that FL has opened me up to hats and vintage-inspired dress, bow ties won't likely be far behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt