Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bow Ties

nigelewan

New in Town
Knit bow tie

Is there a historical precedent for the knit bow tie? I know bow ties were quite popular in the golden era but I can't recall hearing about vintage knit bow ties. I'm assuming they're just a kind of modern kitsch, but if anyone has any info I'd be very interested.

Feraud

Bartender
Knit ties have been around for decades. It makes sense to guess a knit bowtie could not be far behind.

In fact I *think* I have an old pattern for a knit bowtie somewhere around here..

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
On...

...a previous bow tie thread I posted something I'll post here: bow tie Friday. I've done this for several years, and when people ask me about my ties, I tell them: "if you see me in a bow tie, smile -- it's Friday." People come to expect a bow as something they are entitled to see. They've made a pleasant association with my tie and want to see it.

The "bow tie conundrum": where are they? Everytime I go I a mens store that sells bow ties, I ask if they sell many. They usually tell me roughly how many they sell a week. It's a fair number. I see websites and catalogs that sell them. They sell on e-bay.

Where are they going?????

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I had a long post about a blog post on bowties I found, and got logged off. Oh well.

But, looking around the net, I'm struck by the amount of vitriol towards bowties. Another thing I noticed was the number of people claiming that if you wear a bowtie, you must wear it all the time and make it a part of your 'look'. I say, how boring to have to look exactly the same every day. I think the bowtie adds variety, and I like having options in my wardrobe. Some days I may be decked out in a pinstripe suit, bowler, collar bar, and spats. Some days in a simple tweed jacket, gray trousers, and a bow. I wouldn't want to be restricted to one.

Elgin1924

New in Town
I love wearing bow ties.

It's definitely worth learning to tie them yourself, they start looking so much better (albeit somewhat ... dishevelled) once you do.

Look on the internet for a video of how to tie one, I spend ages staring blindly at the diagrams to no avail.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I don't mind wearing a vintage clip-on once in a while. I know that those who tie their own look down on clip-ons, but a zillion were made so lots of men were wearing them. I have many with very unique designs. Why keep them hidden? ;)

I'd like to get a few "tie your own" bow ties but I am also struck at how expensive the good ones are whether at a store or an online emporium. With a 19.5-20" neck I have to be sure about the size. My dad had an adjustable red one I wore now and again in my youth and as a little guy I had several clip on bow ties.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Nick D said:
I had a long post about a blog post on bowties I found, and got logged off. Oh well.
FYI:After logging back on hit the 'Go Back One Page' arrow a few times and you will eventually be returned to the post you were writing. It works for me most times.Also, if you think you've been writing long enough to be timed out you can copy your entire post and paste it when you log back on.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Never give up!!

MikeBravo said:
I just got a couple of nice ones on ebay recently. I will post when I can.

Still working out the bloody diagrams of how to tie them as well

later

Just about to look at the video mentioned above

I bought a couple on ebay as I mention, paid about $50 for the pair and thought I did okay (and I did)

A few weeks ago I dropped into the op shop on the way to work and found a blue with white polka dots, self-tie silk bow tie. Cost? $3.50

psugrad98

One of the Regulars
I always enjoyed dressing up, wearing suits, and everything. On a whim yesterday I went and bought a bow tie. After about 15 minutes looking at videos I figured out how to tie it. I'm hooked. I love the bow tie look!

bowtie1.jpg

bowtie2.jpg

bowtie3.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
That tie looks perfect....which to my mind is not such a good thing. You might consider not tying the knot quite so tightly and allowing for a bit of imbalance in the wings, as it serves to distinguish a self- tied from a pre-tied. The larger knot will also help to cover that gap in the collar tie space.

Something like so:

DSCN1698.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou