Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bowler/Derby "The Edward"

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I picked up a bowler/derby yesterday, black, short crown, and very stiff. Nice tan leather sweat band. There's an oval, gold-embosed logo on the sweat marked "The Edward." I cannot read the lower section of the embossed oval, might be a "P" or an "R." Has anyone from the Lounge seen a derby/bowler with this marking?
Thanks, uncle vern.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
Flieger, I appreciate your response, but the fact is, there probably aren't thousands of different black bowlers floating around the globe branded "The Edward." I was hoping someone on the lounge could help my identify the maker.

Flieger

Practically Family
Uncle Vern, I assure you I did not mean any disrespect. Posting that banner only shows how little I know about Bowlers. :eek:

Sorry about that. I will remove it.

/F

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Well- with older derbies, I run across far, far more names I've never heard of than the major companies. Lots are only branded with the store names, lots are branded with hatters that went out of business 75-85 years ago and left no records.

Chances are no one here has heard of The Edward, and that you won't find anything about it without some serious digging, and even then, it's entirely possible you still will come up empty handed, but from what I've seen, most of these old derbies are very nice, and I'm sure yours is no exception.

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
No harm done, Fleiger. Maybe I'll just give it to a guy named "Edward." It's too small for me anyway. Even when a bowler fits me, I look like Hagar the Horrible.

Edward

Bartender
A bowler is a hat style i can't see me carrying off either.... not without looking like Alex out of Clockwork Orange, anyhow!

Can't offer any help on identifying the maker, but by any chance could it be an Edward R model as in Edward Rex (King)? I may be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen photos of either Edward VIII (king for only a short period before he abdicated in order to be allowed to marry Wallace Simpson) in a bowler - or maybe it was Edward VIII? If that is indeed the significance of the name, then it might have been an English brand making hats in the style of what the King wore (back in those days - much has changed! - the monarch's fashion choices would have been influential. It was a king, I believe Edward VII if memory serves, who gave the official seal of approval to black tie overcoming white tie as the formal evening wear of choice in the UK). either that or perhaps a specific model from a milliners with a Royal Warrant, based on one worn by the king?

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I worked a little harder at reading the half-worn printing. "The Edward" is stamped along the upper portion of the oval logo. "Derby" is stamped into the lower portion. I'd assumed it had something to do with King Edward. Perhaps you're right---it might be an "approved" or "authorized" model. I wish it would fit my head, but it's too small.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred