Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Brand New" 1950's Home!

Frykitty

Familiar Face
That's pretty cool. Although around my neck of the woods if a house was built in the 50's and never renovated, it usually contains asbestos, lead plumbing and electrical wiring that would scare any insurance company.
I think a person would be better off with a more modern home with vintage decor and styling. Sorry I kinda feel like a big wet blanket now, I really do think the house is sweet.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Frykitty said:
That's pretty cool. Although around my neck of the woods if a house was built in the 50's and never renovated, it usually contains asbestos, lead plumbing and electrical wiring that would scare any insurance company.
QUOTE]

Sounds like my current 1935 house! lol

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Frykitty said:
I think a person would be better off with a more modern home with vintage decor and styling. Sorry I kinda feel like a big wet blanket now, I really do think the house is sweet.

While there are concerns with older homes, post war homes generally have decent wiring and a breaker box, not knob and tube and not fuse boxes. And the plumbing, while galvanized, and not so great eventually, is not a big concern if the water flow is good. lead has not been used in pipes for much longer than the fifties, but it is a concern in homes older than the turn of the century.

As for asbestos, it may contain some, but if handled properly or left undisturbed, it shouldn't be a big concern. Asbestos is only a hazzard in removal.

In all my years of real estate, i have only seen one example of a company refusiing to insure a house, and another company was willing to.

but of course, precautions should be taken whenver dealing with lead based paint or asbestos.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow. That house is just pristine.

But the fiction writer in me desperately wants to know why the family only lived in the basement...especially when they had such a nice house on the main floor.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
AmateisGal said:
Wow. That house is just pristine.

But the fiction writer in me desperately wants to know why the family only lived in the basement...especially when they had such a nice house on the main floor.
The upstairs is haunted. Split level w / ectoplasm and great views.(exorcism not included).

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
If the interior weren't quite so spic-and-span, I'd be tempted to say the owners were lying. But as it is, I have only one question: why on earth would anyone live in a basement when they had that right above them?! They'd better have a really good explanation...

ETA: On further appraisal, it's certainly been gone over well for the photos - can you imagine the dust that would've been lying around? And on the carpets and curtains? (Unless the owner dusted, polished, and vacuumed the whole 50+ years...) Note the lovely bedspreads and unfaded curtains, the carefully placed bar of soap and plush rugs in the bathroom, the lovely statuettes. And no flowers, which would make it seem *too* lived-in and fresh, as opposed to frozen in time...yep, nice job on the photos. :)

(I just finished reading multiple vintage mysteries. Forgive my hyper-detail-oriented mind. :D)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24