Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BREAD, MILK, BOOZE - Recession Cocktails

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I hesitate to link this until I fully invest in Diageo, but the cat's out of the bag anyway.

What does everyone think of this? Good news or bad? Will a well made drink be easier to find, or will this produce a number of broke Wall St. nits at your favorite bar? I think it's a good thing. Perhaps its truely the end for the pomegranate martini. Has anyone created a recession cocktail? I'm working on one, but it's top secret!;)

Caroline

One of the Regulars
anon` said:
On the upside, perhaps this will spur some of the local bars to start carrying appropriate spirits and liqueurs, such as, oh, Luxardo and Crème de Violette :)

Yes, this is what I was thinking as well. Now my local liquor shop won't look at me like I have 2 heads when I ask where the pimento dram is (not that I've ever had it, or found it, but there are many drinks that call for it). Only time will tell.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Not good,...:(
Economic hard times lead to an increase in alcoholism in general. People get under the impression that drinking will make them happy. Fact is, alcohol is a depressant. :rolleyes: Never made anyone happy that I know of,..I hope we don't end up a nation of depressed alcoholics as a result of all this.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
I'm not sure of the figures, but Hooch seems not to have increased in price the way that basic items at the "Grocery shop" have over the last 20 years, Champagne seems to be only a few dollars more than it was in 1988?:eusa_doh:

Must admit, i'm rather glad the world has slowed down a trifle

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Back to Basics, Perhaps?

Caroline said:
I hesitate to link this until I fully invest in Diageo, but the cat's out of the bag anyway.

What does everyone think of this? Good news or bad? Will a well made drink be easier to find, or will this produce a number of broke Wall St. nits at your favorite bar? I think it's a good thing. Perhaps its truely the end for the pomegranate martini. Has anyone created a recession cocktail? I'm working on one, but it's top secret!;)
No recession cocktail recipes from me, Caroline, but I think you're right: the recession may bring us back to basics, like a drink with friends in or out at the bar, replacing more expensive past times. You might find the article below by NY Times film critic A.O. Scott as engaging as I did:

"Cutbacks? Yes. Cheap Scotch? No Thanks."

Cheers!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I just don't really see it. I mean, people in really hard financial times are going to choose a $2 PBR when they go out and not a $7 Old Fashioned. Probably the same for home consumption - compare the cost of a case of cheap beer to that of a nice bottle of bourbon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran