Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breastfeeding In Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
If all I see as casual passerby is a woman holding a baby, that's fine. Blankets optional because I know they're not always practical. But know yourself and whether you can do it without sharing a bit too much with strangers.

Woman with "exposure" is a different issue, and I see that sometimes. I don't think that's in good taste at all. I know its natural but so are a lot of other things you don't do in public.

For myself, I wouldn't do it in public except maybe with a blanket. I would put it in a bottle.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
To play devil's advocate just a bit, every mammal defecates as well, and none but Man wears clothes. Is that the standard we'd like to see?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I love to see it. And no, not for sexual reasons, I find it's the one thing that instantly de-sexualizes breasts for me. I just love seeing those little babbies and experiencing that sense of new life growing around me.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Its not even an issue.

Id rather see a room of that than a room of cell phone users, or loud talking people or screaming babies. Now thats something to complain about.

LD

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Isn't that wanting to see a baby Nightandthecity? Rather than wanting to see breastfeeding? Would bottle-feeding not be the same feel? I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am puzzled.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Viola said:
To play devil's advocate just a bit, every mammal defecates as well, ...

Feces smells bad, and it carries nasty bacteria which can cause diseases. Naturally, we shy away from it.

However, lactating breasts provide babies with nutrition. Breast milk doesn't smell bad, and it helps babies fight off disease.

We don't seem to have a problem with seeing cows give milk to their calves. Why would we have a problem with seeing human mothers give milk to their babies?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Viola said:
To play devil's advocate just a bit, every mammal defecates as well, and none but Man wears clothes. Is that the standard we'd like to see?

but defecation is nasty and potentially hazardous, and clothes...well, that's a big complex subject lets not thread drift already....

Breast feeding is totally different. Boobs are nice, and little babies growing by the gulp is even nicer.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Except...

Rebecca D said:
It's a perfectly natural thing. Are people really offended by it?
Yesterday on the Washington Metro, I saw a mother breast-feeding... She came to her stop and without missing a beat, just walked out into the crowd (BIG-18-MONTH-OLD-BLISSFULLY-STILL-FEEDING-SON still attached) like it was nobody's business. (Guess it wasn't.) I'll never feel out of place on the subway in an old fedora again.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
We don't seem to have a problem with seeing cows give milk to their calves. Why would we have a problem with seeing human mothers giving milk to their babies?

Because generally modesty is for people. And breasts are not public.

Viola

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The first time I saw obvious breastfeeding was when I was around 12. It was a woman my mother babysat for. She unbuttoned her blouse right in front of me without so much as an "if you don't mind" or "would you please excuse me." It was as if she were getting undressed in front of the family dog. I found it disrespectful.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Viola said:
Isn't that wanting to see a baby Nightandthecity? Rather than wanting to see breastfeeding? Would bottle-feeding not be the same feel? I am not trying to be argumentative, but I am puzzled.
no, I like to see women breast feeding because it is so evocative of new life.

Bottle feeding is different because inside I know it ain't so good for the kids (but lets not thead drift on that either). I guess I like the naturalness of breast feeding.

I suspect I might be feeling broody actually. I've been DAD for 25 years and now the youngest is 14. For the first time in 25 years there aren't any little ones around chez NATC. Maybe its time I became a grandad.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
nightandthecity said:
no, I like to see women breast feeding because it is so evocative of new life.

Bottle feeding is different because inside I know it ain't so good for the kids (but lets not thead drift on that either). I guess I like the naturalness of breast feeding.

I suspect I might be feeling broody actually. I've been DAD for 25 years and now the youngest is 14. For the first time in 25 years there aren't any little ones around chez NATC. Maybe its time I became a grandad.

Look on the brightside, bottle-feeding can be breastmilk on a detour. My one friend is doing that, partially for convenience and partially so the dad can bond with the baby by feeding her, and the milk is 100% natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran