Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Breastfeeding In Public

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Since this thread was started by a male I'll lend my thoughts.

I think the main issue is seeing breasts in public. For most here, even the mention of a boobie is taboo. It's what they've been taught, it's what they learned. Seeing a butt crack is funny, seeing a boobie is taboo!

My point is it's all cultural. Some cultures say it's taboo to see a woman's nose, mouth, face except the eyes... The Bible belt USA tells us it's boobies.

Men can walk around without shirts, so why not women? It's actually the law here I know, but why?

Breastfeeding is just a little guy having lunch, nothing more, nothing less.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Baron Kurtz said:
Something a little more Freudian, i think. We* don't want to be reminded of our own breastfeeding past - in particular, we don't want to be reminded of our mother's breasts. It makes us* uncomfortable.

bk

* does not include self.

Hmmm. But I was entirely a bottle baby -- so why am I not offended and disturbed by the sight of Evenflo bottles and cans of Karo syrup?

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Viola said:
I don't really want to see anyone's breasts on the street, whether for marketing, entertainment, or utilitarian purposes. Also, most "obvious breast-feeders" (which I disassociate from the women where you can hardly tell what they're doing) seem to have an aggressive in-your-face style, sort of a cross between a self-righteous vegetarian and a flasher.

Me no like. (How's that for bad grammar?! A new low bar for the day!)

No offense to any present intended,
Viola

That is more along the lines of my thoughts. I realize that I am more conservative than a lot of people, so I hope no one is mad. I'm not one of those conservative people who protest and all that junk. Live and let die, live and learn, whatever...

I don't associate breastfeeding with 3rd world countries. Never even crossed my mind until that post. It's culturally acceptable there, not so much here. It may be one day, maybe after I'm dead. (don't worry, I'm hoping for an early death as it is). I don't think it's fair for moms to stay at home all the time. Bottled milk may not be as nutritious, but it works in a pinch. And don't give me that "natural is better" speech, because we eat a million times worse than newborns. You are what you eat, and so are your kids until they can feed themselves. At my church for example, there is a separate room for mothers to breastfeed. It's public in the sense that it is outside of their home, but it's also private in the sense that they have a space for them to do what they need to do, as if they were at home. I don't think it's sweeping the issue under the rug either, anymore than smokers having their own place to smoke. We are Americans, we need our space more than any country in the world. Makes everybody happy.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think this topic is better suited to the observation bar..

Breast feeding in public shouldn't be a crime. It's not a sexual to disturb the public, it's a feeding of a baby. Once you start shadowing it in controversy it becomes something more in peoples minds. It turns into a bad thing to do. It's not... take 'em out if the kid needs to be fed. That is for what they are made. That is why they fill with milk.

ClassicIsBetter

One of the Regulars
Terry Lennox said:
My point is it's all cultural. Some cultures say it's taboo to see a woman's nose, mouth, face except the eyes... The Bible belt USA tells us it's boobies.

Men can walk around without shirts, so why not women? It's actually the law here I know, but why?

It's all because of the apple my friend, Eve and the apple.... :D Actually I should be offended by my own statement, considering I am a devout born again Christian, but we need some humor in this thread at some point.

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Miss Neecerie said:
Just a reminder to please try and remember that what may be 'obvious' to you, may not be how someone else beleives, and to please remember to respect that and remain polite.

-D

Yes, thank you for the reminder. I'll try to bite my tongue on the theory of those uppity women asserting themselves in public.

Rebecca D
...wondering when "old fashioned" will no longer be justification for ugly views...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
I think this topic is better suited to the observation bar.
I began this thread in the Powder Room because I especially wanted to hear the ladies' points-of-view. The Observation Bar might not attract the attention of those whom I most wish to hear from: the ones who are capable of breastfeeding.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm all for it.

Breast feeding is a necessity.(and hey, it's convenient for Mother and Baby)
Babies must eat.
The public are irrelevent.
Mothers are not invalids and should be able to leave the house.

One should not be overly concerned with issues not affaecting 'one'.

The French are not fond of breast feeding at all. Virtually unheard of there.
But an absolutely everyday sight here in Denmark.

I'd rather that people didn't do offensive things in public- like spitting and popping gum...

Why is this thread in the P' Room..?

B
T

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I think it all boils down to modesty. I have absolutely no problem seeing a woman breastfeed her child in public places and I also think it's great that she would choose that descision. But, women should be respectful to others and cover up while feeding. Even though their feeding an infant,there really is no excuse why a person needs to whip a breast out for all the world to see and feed. On the post of butt cracks, I even think those are offensive! :rolleyes: :D

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The "babies need to eat" and "breast is healthier" still don't explain to me the problem with breastmilk in bottles? Same nutrient value, and if anything more convenient in that you pull it out of that diaper bag you have to carry anyhow and stick it in the little ankle-biter's (kidding!) face, and you can make a friend do it if you're busy?

Curiously,
Viola

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Viola said:
The "babies need to eat" and "breast is healthier" still don't explain to me the problem with breastmilk in bottles?
Maybe, just maybe, it's nicer for the baby to have the breastfeeding experience. Our species is certainly acclimated to it: we've been breastfeeding (and yes, in public) for millions of years; the bottles have only been around since, what, the 19th century?

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
It's not always convenient to carry around a child and several other things, especially when you take public transportation. Breast feeding would just be easier.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Maybe, just maybe, it's nicer for the baby to have the breastfeeding experience. Our species is certainly acclimated to it: we've been breastfeeding (and yes, in public) for millions of years; the bottles have only been around since, what, the 19th century?

Presumably you're not ALWAYS in public. And the last two hundred years have been long enough for us to get used to other stuff.

Put a shirt on,
Viola

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Viola said:
The "babies need to eat" and "breast is healthier" still don't explain to me the problem with breastmilk in bottles? Same nutrient value, and if anything more convenient in that you pull it out of that diaper bag you have to carry anyhow and stick it in the little ankle-biter's (kidding!) face, and you can make a friend do it if you're busy?

Curiously,
Viola
I can think of all sorts of reasons to prefer breast, and I'm sure some mothers here can think of others...

Babies like the real thing better..the feel of their mum etc.
Mother and baby bond better
its way more convenient...no bottles to sterilize, no messing around with pumps etc. and much less risk of bacterial infection.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Viola said:

Curiously,
Viola
Putting it in bottles is for when someone else must feed your child for you, or the father is feeding the child, or you are someplace you would rather not actually breastfeed. If you have the baby with you and it is convenient to breastfeed you would always do that rather than put it in a bottle because if you don't nurse when your breasts are full it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner