Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brick & Mortar Hat Stores

8whitey

New in Town
Hello to all! New to the board....

Back in the late 70's I wandered into the last REAL hat store here in Flint, Mich. It was dark, quiet, dusty and smelled like my Granpa's closet. A mausoleum of hats it was. Long rows of shelves stacked full of hat boxes.

I was exploring with no cash and didnt stay long. I wouldnt have known what to ask for anyways. I had lots of hair then. Didnt need hats.

After a couple of decades of watching old movies (and losing alot of that hair) I want to stand in that Hale Hat Store and, like Keaton in STEAMBOAT BILL JR., try on every style. Of course, the block that the store was on is a parking ramp.

I dont mean to step on toes but looking at the online stores leaves me cold and the selection is, to me, so sad. The old movies spoil ya. There used to be more choice.

So my question to y'all is: you folks know of any REAL hat stores maybe in Detroit or Chicago?

Thanks.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Welcome big 8..hope you enjoy the stay.

The best hat shop near you and one of the best in the country is Optimo Hat Shop in Chicago. Graham is a custom hatter and good friend that makes quality hats in the old styles. His website sucks, but his hats are great!!
773(? not sure of the area code) 238-2999

Tell him Art sent ya!!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Go Bucks

I think there are some great B&M hat shops in Columbus, Ohio, with floor-to-ceiling shelves showing every style. But drat! They don't let Michiganders in...

:)

Welcome to the best source of info you'll ever find. :cheers1:

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Optimo is the way to go for you. You're incredibly lucky to live so close... although your wallet may not agree with you in a few weeks. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24