Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Briefcases

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Well I think I found a real good 30's style briefcase with the dual straps. You can see the briefcase, just a glimpse when Indy meets the government men. Also, I see the same briefcase in Last Crusade that Marcus is carrying at the train station.

This particular briefcase is an authentic government issue briefcase. I actually picked it up at a gunshow, go figure. It came with a Army Airforce Cabin ID tag used for checkin. Based on the ID Tag, the bag is minimally from 1943. But the style is common for the 30's/40's. So the kicker for me is that the color of the leather matches my Horsehide A-2 jacket, PERFECTLY. So it fits both my Indy collection and A-2.
DSCN1949-vi.jpg

Front of bag
DSCN1951-vi.jpg

Close up of AAF Cabin ID Tag
DSCN1952-vi.jpg

Backside of Bag
DSCN1953-vi.jpg

Inside compartment with 4 dividers and a small, snapped pocket for pens, glasses.
DSCN1955-vi.jpg

This bag is ready for hunting down the bad guys in Iraq!
WrapAroundStrapDocumentCaseWithThreeCompartments.jpg

Above is picture of similar bag from Swayne, Adeney

What do you think? It's an awesome bag since it came in great condition, hardly used except for a few small scratches. It's my everyday bag now. It carries huge magazines, A-4 paper, even my laptop computer. I buffed the bag with shoe polish and Pecards, so it really appears shiny. I should post a picture right next to my A-2 just to show how close the leather colors are between the two.

-Sergei

Copy of post by Sergei

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Awsome

I love that briefcase Sergei. We need to get you down to the vingage Expo this October. You often find old luggage and bags there. Those pictures are very nice.
Here is a suitcase I picked up at a vintage expo a few years back. I have even been to some of the places for which there are stickers.

case-vi.jpg

Sergei

Gone Home
The saddlebags get mostly used at WWAC events or for "whip cracking" type events. You can stuff a lot of gear into those saddle bags. That reminds me, the next time we go shooting down here, the revolver and ammo should fit perfectly into those saddle bags.

-S

Imahomer

Practically Family
That's the second time I've seen that briefcase and I think it's just perfect. I'm also thinking it was probably reasonably priced. I'm (once again) going to make a hunt for it's twin brother.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I am sitting here at school and I come across that picture of us at Flightsuits and am totally taken back to that great day we spent together. That is just one of those great memories to have, that was right after the VIP Tour, I believe Dave took that photo. LOL, Lee with Dan's crusher still make chuckle a bit, why did I not have my crusher on, I don't recall now, I may have just grabbed my Keppler as we headed out, leaving my crusher in the showroom. But anway, it was great day I will never forget. It was the first time I had the honor of seeing Walts' whip collection. Impressive, Most Impressive!:cool2:

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
The Brief Case

I have been buying cheap $100 leather brief case bags for years. They last me a year or so then I have to buy a new one. This time I decided to kick it up a notch (can you tell my wife watches Emeril?)

I spent about two weeks reserching. At first I thought I wanted a vintage brief case, but I have modern needs like cell phones, PDA, and sometimes a laptop. The older ones weren't designed for this, so I opted for a new case with a classic look.

Like many of my journeys of discovery regarding these kinds of items, I learned that I have been buying crap....but the one I really would like to buy is out of my price range.

The one that looked amazing was this one:

classic_577l.gif

Hartmann Classic Collection attache case. It looks like the fine vintage luggage that I love........but it retails at $1495. :eek:

After looking at a lot of cases I decided that a hard attache case would be limiting. It is designed to set on a flat surface when opened. I am used to reaching into my case in the car which I keep on the floor of the back seat. If I have someone riding with me I would have to stop and get out of the car to access my case.

Another consideration is flying. I sometimes jam a camcorder or other such items into my case/bag when entering the plane because of the one carry on rule. A hard case wouldn't work for that.

After looking around on the net, I decided on a case by Jack George's that went for around $200. I visited a lot of luggage stores here in LA. The best one I found was Savinar Luggage in Canoga Park. They had the largest selection and the best prices. The only problem was they didn't have the case I wanted in stock.

They did have one I liked but it was a lawyer style case which costs a lot more. It retails at $495 and their price was $395 which still was more than I had in mind.

I decided to go back to another store to get the other one....but the sales guy said "Give me a minute". He went into the back room and came out and said "I am going to offer you a great deal on this bag since you like it and we don't have the one you came to get. How about I offer the case to you for $289". I shook his hand and told him to write it up. That was FAR lower than I could find that case any where. I scored big time.

What I ended up with is a Jack George's Sienna Collection Classic Briefbag.

7505COGNACmd.jpg

7505COGNAC-OPEN.jpg

Combining our hand-stained Italian leather with a fresh polished nickel hardware, this collection features raw-edge styles that are suede leather lined with blue steel reinforcements. Available in cherry and cognac.
Dimensions: 17 1/2 x 12 1/2 x 8

Mine is the cognac color which is the one pictured but the photos don't due justice to the leather. It is so beautiful. It is a very classy looking brief case.

It sure feels good to buy something of quality that you know will last for years and looks amazing.:cool:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Great Buy

And I love the look and material. Poop on the hard sided American Tourister s***!

Watch "Larceny Inc." with E. G. Robinson.
It is a riot. Con's take over a luggage store because it is next to a bank, and they want to tunnel in...well you get the idea.

The luggage shown and styles if you pay atttention (oh boy and the prices) really go back to the 30's and 40's when men knew good qualyty. MK you obviously do!

Kwebs

New in Town
That is beautiful. My wife?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s grandmother has a bag that looks similar, but it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s very old and beat up.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I found one exactly like yours, Chamorro, at an antique shop in Knoxville. Yours looks in a bit better condition, but otherwise they're identical. I gave mine a good dose of Pecards, and she shines like gold now. Regards. Michaelson

Sergei

Gone Home
Looking good. Looks just like mine. How's the interior? In good shape? Did you get a good deal? When I was on the hunt for them last year, the ones in good shape were commanding auction wins around $75 to $150. I thought I did fine with a gunshow find of $75.

-Sergei

Michaelson

One Too Many
Well, just to add....get away from the big cities, and away from the gun shows, and visit small towns with junk and antique shops and flea markets when the opportunity presents itself. They're out there for GREAT prices! Regards. Michaelson

Chamorro

A-List Customer
Here is a picture of my custom order from Custom Hide I mocked-up using the pics on their site:
brief.jpg

It will have three external pockets with flaps, an art-deco type antique brass lock and matching hardware, two compartments, business card holder, pen slots, cel phone holder, and zippered document pouch inside and open external pocket in the back. I also chose to replace the standard handle with the Army briefcase handle. It should be here in three weeks. I'll post pics then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot