Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim Curls: Kettles, Pencill, etc.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My recent introduction into the world of Western hats has exposed me to a bevy of new hat shapes, accoutrements, and brim shapes. However, there's none I've found so fascinating as the brim curls: pencil, kettle, and otherwise. Seriously, these things are beautiful :).

As a search of the Lounge turns up meager results, I decided to start my own thread here.

I will be posting as many good pics as I can of these treatments, sort of as a reference for myself, but you all are more than welcome to chime in if you want. Any information you may have about the history and the processes used to make these brim treatments would be appreciated as well.

Fedoras, bowlers, homburgs, Westerns,etc.; if it's got a curled brim, it's welcome here!

Last edited:

Neophyte

The pic on the right is a Clearwater Boss of the Plains with a bound, curled brim. On the right is Clearwater Hat's "Mosby" model, sort of like an old west derby This one's also posted in the "Western, Anyone" thread, as I intend to have something close to this made as my first custom hat (and first Western, for that matter):

BossofthePlains.jpg
Mosby%20Coffee.jpg

Last edited:

Neophyte

I'm not done yet, but unfortunately, I have to go to class. More pics and info to come :). A simple search of "Old West Hats" on Google yields TONS of excellent results!

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've got good information on the D'Orsay curl in the Derby Deconstruction thread. The D'Orsay is the classic curl used on top hats and Derbies (Bowlers to those of you across the pond:)).

The D'Orsay is effectively extinct.

Brad

danofarlington

I will begin with a Boss of the Plains model of hat, offered by Clearwater Hats (good luck trying to find it on their website, though lol). This one's also posted in the "Western, Anyone" thread, as I intend to have something close to this made as my first custom hat (and first Western, for that matter):

BossofthePlains.jpg
Mosby%20Coffee.jpg
Curled brim in a Western hat context, and probably also in a homburg context, calls to mind
a "dude" hat, meaning someone more style conscious in the late 19th Century than your regular cowboy galoot.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Curled brim in a Western hat context, and probably also in a homburg context, calls to mind
a "dude" hat, meaning someone more style conscious in the late 19th Century than your regular cowboy galoot.

In some cases, yes, but Homburgs were also worn in casual contexts, and curled brim westerns were worn by working men as well.

Last edited:

Neophyte

Brad Bowers, thanks for that link; it was a very, very enjoyable read. I was very impressed! :eusa_clap!

Dinerman...you are my hero :). I'm gone for two hours and I come back to be blown away by your posts. Thank you! On a side note, that first black hat you posted looks very similar to what I'm picturing for a custom hat. If it's not going to be too much trouble, would you mind if I asked you for some information regarding that hat, or perhaps a link to a thread where I can find some information?

Danofarlington, thanks for that tidbit. That's actually what I'm going for. I'm going for a non-cowboy, Old West vibe. As I live in the city, the "dude" implication is just fine with me. Yep, just fine :).

DRB, you are welcome, sir! I was also fascinated with the website. I'm very glad I found it, too, as that fancy Boss of the Plains-style depicted is exactly what I'd like in my first custom hat :).

Pompidou, that VS is incredible! :eusa_clap!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm afraid the hat's in Maryland at the moment and I'm in Nova Scotia for another month, so I can't get you measurements, but here are some more pics.
IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0523.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Neophyte

I'm afraid the hat's in Maryland at the moment and I'm in Nova Scotia for another month, so I can't get you measurements, but here are some more pics.

That's no problem, and thanks so much for the additional pics! I probably won't be ordering a custom for a few months anyway, so don't think you need to be in any hurry lol.

danofarlington

In some cases, yes, but Homburgs were also worn in casual contexts, and curled brim westerns were worn by working men as well.

Probably so, but when I see curled brim I think of old Western TV shows, circa early 1960s. The dapper "dudes" like Bat Masterson wore curled brim hats, and the rough guys like everyone else and Clint Eastwood, wore uncurled brims. I think Brett Maverick (James Garner) also probably had a curled brim, although I can't remember. It's just a surface impression reflecting Hollywood costuming in that era. But I think that actually Hollywood does a good job of reflecting reality, so I take it semi-seriously, acknowledging that probably lots of folks opted for curled brim without being dudes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy