Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brim smashed

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
I found an old Dobbs on eBay for a great price. Hat's in good condition, especially for 18 bucks, but in shipping the back of the brim was jammed up agains the box and is now sticking flat and up on one side instead of having a nice consistent shape around the back.

What do you all use as a "form" to hold it in shape while dries/cools after reshaping the back.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
What have you tried so far?

Did you try putting a teapot on the stove and use the steam as a shaping tool? Then just hold it for a few minutes. That should do it. I wish you luck.

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Rat Pack said:
A flange would be exactly what I need, if I had one :)

I am gonna try it by hand tonight, just not sure how to hold the whole thing in shape while it cool/dries.

Shape it. Let it dry sitting on it's crown.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
If it has a Guild Edge, you don't want to flange it. It's best just to use some light steam and see if it will go back to its natural shape.

If it doesn't have a Guild Edge, all bets are off, and you can flange the heck out of the sucker.

Brad

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Last time I reshaped a hat, I used my iron setting on the highest steam setting, and the ironing board as a somewhat useful tool (but the hands proved more so) and it took me three drinks Mav.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I'd use steam to relax the stiffener and shape the hat by hand; after you get it shaped blow on it to cool it down to fix the stiffener. If you aren't happy with your own efforts, you can take it into your local hatter, Byrnie Utz in Seattle.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This discussion has moved me to reblock my slightly tapered brown Fed IV. It is now sitting stretched over my block in the warm garage. I removed the liner, and left the bow and ribbon on. The sweat is pulled down off the block.

Relevancy: the brim got wet enough to be malleable. I re-shaped the brim by hand and gave it the bend and swoop I desired, and it stayed put. Feds have a raw edge so it might be a little different than the OP's Dobbs.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Mav said:
I was being extremely conservative.;):)

But of course.

I know you might not want to here this, but if all else fails you can send it to most Milliners as they do offer reblocking, shaping, you name it. I'm sending something to Penman hats (he's in Portland, Oregon) for a reblock as soon (or if) I get it.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
If you do use steam (I would), be careful not to steam the sweatband. Steam has been known to ruin leather sweatbands.

Rat Pack

One of the Regulars
Much easier than anticipated.

One of the reasons I bought this hat was it was cheap enough to play around with and not worry about outside around the house.

Gonna try working on the crown next, need a little extra room to get it off my hair :)

Dobbs Wooodside. Color on the tag says Silver BE, but it's actually tan.

!B0)SZi!!mk~$(KGrHqR,!j!E)sHLVSl9BMbu0IOihg~~0_12.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou