Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRITISH Belt-Back Suits and Sports Jackets

I don't know them, but I've bought quite a bit from them too. A stall that's always packed with high quality goods.

Thank you!
Yeah indeed it did come from Lynn and Rob. I have bought quite a few suits from them and have gotten to know them fairly well.

TwoTypes, Lynn and Rob also sold (via eBay) the baby blue belt back DB that features earlier in this thread.

So, by my count, we now have 4 belted back British jackets in this thread?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was talking to the bloke in Celia's Vintage Clothing in Nottingham. He has been selling vintage for over twenty years and said he hadn't seen any British belt-backs (apart from the later 1960s style).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
ArsenalTeamtalk_zpsddd99c6b.jpg

Here's a jacket back 'in action' from the film 1939 The Arsenal Stadium Mystery (worn by an Arsenal player to a pre-match team talk.

1940sFreddie

Familiar Face
Nice suit Baron would of loved to added that to my collection. I have a dark blue pinstripe Burtons suit with these tunnel belt loops too.
Here are the pictures of the back-belt suit.
image_zps7423a51a.jpg

image_zpsb31920cd.jpg

sorry the pictures are not great

Freddie

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's an interesting selection from the 1933 British film The Red Wagon. We often note how rare British belt-back jackets are: well here's a film with not one but two such jackets:

Twobeltbacks_zpsfcc4bf18.jpg

The first is worn by Anthony Bushell:
AnthonyBushell3_zps6c478eb3.jpg

AnthonyBushell2_zps85d6e9dd.jpg

Bushelljacketfabric_zps5ed2f9c1.jpg

Bushelljacketpocket_zps3fc9d711.jpg

Bushelljacket-beltback_zps311b50ab.jpg

Bushelljacketpattern_zpseba21616.jpg

It has great fabric, scalloped yoke, four buttoning pockets with breast pockets placed low. To be honest, I thought the jacket looks American (but then again I don't know much about jackets of the period - I always associate four pockets with American jackets) but who knows?

The next is worn by Charles Bickford:
bickfordbeltback_zps46038e18.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
21 Days is a truly dreadful film, redeemed only by Laurence Olivier's jacket:

LO+Belt+back+4.jpg

LO+Belt+back+1.jpg

LO+Belt+back+6.jpg

LO+Belt+back+2.jpg

The jacket appears to be made from very soft, fluffy wool with a hint of a fleck.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I think this has been posted before ...
HarryQuashie_zps27adf5e2.jpg

... but I am wondering whether this is actually a suit, rather than just a sports jacket:
HarryQuashie2_zpseaf3cbcb.jpg

If so, I imagine an original British belt-back suit in that light colour might get the collectors salivating.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here's a British belt-back with all the features, worn by Peter Haddon (who was a sort of prototype Leslie Phillips) in the film The House of the Spaniard (1936):

one button closure (with a shank button):
peterhaddonjacketonebutton_zpsaeb75a75.jpg

peterhaddonjacketonebutton2_zps2a803eab.jpg

belt back:
peterhaddonjacketback1_zpsa71a2f99.jpg

with scalloped yoke:
peterhaddonjacketscallopedshoulder_zps835a93b6.jpg

and a nice weave:
peterhaddonjacketweave_zpsaaae16b2.jpg

The same film includes this one, worn by Alan Jeayes. It appears to be a very heavy fabric, possibly even a moleskin:
beltback1_zpsf98688b4.jpg

beltback2_zps73a11759.jpg

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Good point. I suppose that's the trouble with all the screen grab jackets - one can never really be certain of their origin. Although Jacksons did offer a scalloped back with a similar pleat arrangement:
1938-SportsClothing-Jacksondetail.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i hope it is British - notice that it has an extra scallop point along the yoke in the centre - it would prove that Vin-Brit tailoring wasn't as stodgy and slow moving as it seems. but i require further evidence. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21