Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Clothing

kaiser

A-List Customer
Standard BB shirts are very low quality, especially the fabrics. I have 4-5 and the ones that I wear more frequently are badly damaged in collar and cuffs in little more than a year.

This is what I saw as well when I handled some of the BB products at the shop at the Detroit Airport. I really thought that the price did not match the quality.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I bought two Vintage 346 polo shirts at a Brooks Brothers outlet last year. For the price, they're nice and of reasonable quality. I'd say they're the nicest polo shirts I've owned. Unfortunately, most of the other stuff I've seen there doesn't seem as nice.

Chaps

One of the Regulars
Like most clothing stores, BB is a YMMV. I have been shopping at BB for several years. I don't own a BB suit, but I have dress and sport shirts which have held up quite well. Their Performance Polos are outstanding. I bought 6 of them 5 years ago during one of their 3 for $99 events and they still look brand new. No shrinkage or fading.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I recently purchased two Brooks Brothers shirts at an op shop, one for $16, the other for $9. They are white, 100% cotton, Made in Malaysia. The label says "346" which is one of their ranges along with "Golden Fleece" and "1818". They are very smooth to the touch and I checked the 100% cotton just to be sure.

Have a look at this link for feedback on the 346 line Style Forum. The range seems to vary from shirts to suits to trousers etc.

I put one of the shirts to the ultimate test for a shirt. I went swing dancing. I was dancing wearing a waistcoat (and bow tie) and worked up quite a sweat. I returned to my table, removed the waistcoat and started chatting with friends.

It was then that I realise that the back of the shirt was wet with perspiration, but my back was completely dry and cool! Yes, Brooks Brothers cotton shirts get my stamp of approval.

At the same ball I was wearing a Brooks Brothers silk self-tie bow tie recently purchased at an op shop for $2. I believe this tie to be magical as I tied it properly the first time! And this was only the second time I had worn a bow tie.

Corky

Practically Family
I spent some time working behind the counters at the Brooks Brothers stores in Manhattan and in Beverly Hills, so I may have some insight. The company has changed hands a few times in the past 25 or 30 years and the quality of the product has declined as a result. Like AC says, the quality merchandise can still be found there, but the overall quality is not what it once was. BB's best deals are to be found during the After Christmas and After Father's Day sales.

When my son was in high school, I gave him his first Brooks Brothers' blazer and told him: "Abraham Lincoln and Jack Kennedy both wore Brooks Brothers suits when they were sworn in as President and both were wearing them when they were assassinated. Put this on and prepare to take your place in history."

D

Deleted member 16736

I recently purchased two Brooks Brothers shirts at an op shop, one for $16, the other for $9. They are white, 100% cotton, Made in Malaysia. The label says "346" which is one of their ranges along with "Golden Fleece" and "1818". They are very smooth to the touch and I checked the 100% cotton just to be sure.

Have a look at this link for feedback on the 346 line Style Forum. The range seems to vary from shirts to suits to trousers etc.

I put one of the shirts to the ultimate test for a shirt. I went swing dancing. I was dancing wearing a waistcoat (and bow tie) and worked up quite a sweat. I returned to my table, removed the waistcoat and started chatting with friends.

It was then that I realise that the back of the shirt was wet with perspiration, but my back was completely dry and cool! Yes, Brooks Brothers cotton shirts get my stamp of approval.

At the same ball I was wearing a Brooks Brothers silk self-tie bow tie recently purchased at an op shop for $2. I believe this tie to be magical as I tied it properly the first time! And this was only the second time I had worn a bow tie.

Learn Balboa.

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
I've had good look with their dress shoes (made by Alfred Sargent and Crockett & Jones), as well as their mainline trousers in the "Madison" cut (as despite being reasonably athletic, I find their slimmer cuts are cut too narrow through the seat and thighs for my cyclist build). Might also give a blazer in the "Fitzgerald" cut a try, if I can get it on sale. I think their quality is reasonably good, as long as you can avoid paying full price.

kaiser

A-List Customer
I was back in Detroit last week and found that there is a Brooks Brother outlet store just north of Auburn Hills. When I visited the store they were have a 40% off sale due to of all things Victoria Day. The selection and the quality of the stock was much better that at the Detroit Metro Airport store. Bought two pairs of gaberdine wool trousers at the 40% off. Good deal I think and good trousers for everyday business wear. The service at the outlet store was good as well.

The store is located in the Great Lakes outlet center on Baldwin Road.

kyboots

Practically Family
I spent some time working behind the counters at the Brooks Brothers stores in Manhattan and in Beverly Hills, so I may have some insight. The company has changed hands a few times in the past 25 or 30 years and the quality of the product has declined as a result. Like AC says, the quality merchandise can still be found there, but the overall quality is not what it once was. BB's best deals are to be found during the After Christmas and After Father's Day sales.

When my son was in high school, I gave him his first Brooks Brothers' blazer and told him: "Abraham Lincoln and Jack Kennedy both wore Brooks Brothers suits when they were sworn in as President and both were wearing them when they were assassinated. Put this on and prepare to take your place in history."

I made a comment in a previous post about Brooks Brothers and the Father's Day sale. I found that was always the best time to buy! I have never had a problem with their
" Golden Fleece" shirts and they have worn well for years and multiple washings. I still recommend them, but like so many other places you must be selective with the more expensive items like suits, blazers etc. You get what you pay for, but you must inspect what you purchase.--John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo