Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROOKS BROTHERS

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
M

I'm pretty impressed with these shirts, old school and on sale.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=404

343E_enlarged.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Depends on the shirt. I get alot of mine at the Nordstrom outlet for $20.00, though if it is something I really like I'll go up to $50.00

I sometimes where the $50.00 shirts with suit coats i have bought for $14.00.

Cool to see that Brooks Brothers is again offering a 3-piece suit off the rack.

070K_enlarged.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Good looking suit! Not bad for a modern BB. But, what do the vest look like? Is it two pockets or four?

Root.

PS. I buy my dress shirts at Thrift shops and pay about 3 to 5 bucks a pop. Yes, I'm cheap!

shamus

Suspended
I've always gone to thrift stores since I was a little boy, but I never bought clothes. I'd buy toys and such. Then about 10 years ago I discoved clothes.

Now If a pair of jeans cost over 10 dollars I freak or a shirt more than 5. That being said, I will buy a pair of vintage levis for 200 (once) or a new pair of Bills khakies for 100. But that is a once a year thing.

Go Root at 3 bucks a shirt. Anymore and you're getting ripped off.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
If you can find the leather combination you want from Allen Edmonds, they can custom make you a pair. I had them custom make a pair of specs in Chestnut and White Glove last year.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
Then they need to learn to make them skeleton lined with tight armholes.

And other companies need to stop advertising suit and sport jackets worn with logo t-shirts and white sneakers.

I have talked with their MTM people and they say they will do small armholes. I did not ask about skeleton lining as it really isn't a big deal to me, but they might be able to do that too.

Dalexs

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
The jackets still have sort of a 1980's flare though they are heading in the right direction.

Peaked lapel 3 piece
074K_enlarged.jpg

It's funny you bring this up. This weekend, on a whim, I stopped by the
local Kappa Delta Fi (or whatever they call themselves) Swap Shop
and found a Brooks Bros just like this one, sans the peaked lapels.
4 Pocket vest. About the same color, maybe not so saturated.

I have no idea the age of the suit, but it ws in extremely fine condition.
My first thought when I tried it on, was that it didn't really fit that well.

After I got home, I told my wife about it, and on second thought, told her to go back and pick it up.
I figure, for the price, I might be able to get it tailored a bit.

She picks it up, and I try it on again. The sleeves are only a bit short and the pants have plenty to let out and cuff. It has one little moth hole on the lapel that needs repair as well.

The price: Marked at $10. Bought it for $5 bucks!

Gotta love thrift stores!

ADGENTNC

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
And other companies need to stop advertising suit and sport jackets worn with logo t-shirts and white sneakers.

I didn't think any self respecting, and or decently reputable clothier does this nowadays Matt. Sports Jackets possibly, but not suits, maybe 5-10 yrs ago, but surely, not now.

Which brings me to my next point, considering the decades we've been through since the golden age (ie 70's and 90's) we don't live in such a bad time for men's style. For the most part, mainstream suits have been becoming more and more proportionally and aesthetically tasteful. The resurgence in men caring what they look like and what their clothing is made of (cough/ preppy /cough) has led to a well dressed fella walking in the downtown or business district of any decent city the norm, not the exception. I think it's fairly evident that good taste is coming back to the forefront, and I'm pretty excited to be beginning my journey into adulthood right now.

REgards,
AD

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Here is something frustratingly interesting.

I went to the Local BB outlet and bought a couple of their Vintage model dress shirts on clearance. They fit very well. I later found out they have their fitted fit. Fitted is not a word I would use for these shirts. The regular fit apparently has 4" extra fabric in the body and larger armholes.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
And one more thing

I stopped by the Beverly Hills shop last weekend to try on their Harris Tweed action back jacket. I'm happy they ventured back into making things like this, though they need to give it the fit of their regular jackets. For some reason it was much bulkier with a very 1980's low cut button stance. They should try a three button model with the action back and work on getting some pleats under the belt. They can do it with women's clothes nowadays, though when it comes to men's fit the classic details are forgotten.

The jacket was fully lined making the action back useless (if they were going to do that they should have just made it a belt back sans pleats), and the pockets with the pleats were lined as well making them useless. I guess they never had function in mind. Someday they may get back to making functional clothes and I hope that day is soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR