Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BROOKS BROTHERS

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
I love the early 60's suits. It was a cool new evolution (It was also unfortunately the very last era of "true" vintage style.)
Unlike the drapey, wide cut, patterny gabs and wools of the 40's and 50's,....the early 60's were all about taperedness and fabric sheen.

The spy/euro look of Thomas Crown and Bond are fine.
But when I think early 60's,...I think Brock Peters at the end of "The Pawnbroker".
Or The Rat Pack.
Or Nat King Cole.
Nat%20King%20Cole%20-%20The%20World%20Of%20Nat%20King%20Cole_t.jpg

To me, that is untouchable 60's sharpness!!!

EL C.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Matt Deckard said:
The jacket was fully lined making the action back useless (if they were going to do that they should have just made it a belt back sans pleats), and the pockets with the pleats were lined as well making them useless. I guess they never had function in mind. Someday they may get back to making functional clothes and I hope that day is soon.

Just thought you needed a pic.
275M_enlarged.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
That to me says: Say bud, how about this nifty little late model job! She's fully loaded! Shall we take it for a test drive? Come on, make me an offer! That price isn't written in stone! :p

It's nice to see them try to bring it back! I'd like to see them finally get the cut right! Get that strong 80's cut completely out! The pockets are smart and it's a good sign on their behalf. You know, if you can find an original belted pleated coat like that, it's going to save you money then dropping five Franklins on a modern repop.

=WR=

Blueberry

New in Town
Brooks Brothers has different quality suits. The Brooks Ease is a great suit that does not cost as much, and gets less wrinkled due to the way they stiched it. You can also just get separates which is nice as usually the pants wear out first.

The 810 suits are $799. However they have sales at least 2x a year where they have over 25% off on the suits. They are Super 110's, and are really nice suits and feel great. I have 3 of these suits.

The next step up is the Marty Greenfield. I have one of these suits and though it usually is $1,000 approx, I got it for $699 on sale. They usually have the gold thread on the shoulder so you can tell which ones are Marty's. These are the ones that the presidents and other famous people buy. These are Super 120 suits, everything hand stiched, there is more weight to them, pockets are nicer, more of a liner in the pants, and they have that shimmer to them.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I bought one of their Harris Tweed sport coats today... something I have been eyeballing for a few months and waiting for a sale (I usually do not, though the price was too high for me to just buy).

I needed something to replace the old plaid I had been wearing for a couple years straight (I was getting board, so sue me).

Hopefully this jacket will have a long life and lots of trips. Pretty heavy and warm so it will spend some time in the closet since I am in California.

The lapels are a little narrower than I would like, though it has a very good shape.

Same problem as most all modern menswear... THE ARMHOLES ARE BIGGER THAN THEY NEED TO BE.

I will write them a letter about this.

223M_enlarged.jpg

Harry Lime

Suspended
Nice looking jacket, though.

I like the cut of the jacket and the angled pockets. Very nice and a lot of style for off-the-peg. Too bad about the artmholes but I'm sure you'll make it work, Matt. You'll undoubtedly accessorize it better than this model.

Harry Lime

Yeah, I went to the sale this week too, Matt. Unfortunately, everything I came home with wasn't on sale. That always seems to happen. I finally picked up those pyjamas that I always had my eye on, but I' think I'll spare everyone the pictures.

I don't know why I torture myself by trying on the jackets. I know going in what the armholes are going to be about, and I must look the idiot sucking my teeth at every one of them. It did keep me away from the suit department though.

Speaking of armholes again. There's a major men's clothing chain from Europe that just opened their first store here in NY - the first in the U.S. It's called 4You, and I was surprised to find their armholes are cut high. The suit designs are a cross between modern and 60s, but as usual, the material has that sheen that makes them definitely modern. Will anyone ever get it right again?

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
Yeah,

Speaking of armholes again. There's a major men's clothing chain from Europe that just opened their first store here in NY - the first in the U.S. It's called 4You, and I was surprised to find their armholes are cut high. The suit designs are a cross between modern and 60s, but as usual, the material has that sheen that makes them definitely modern. Will anyone ever get it right again?

Regards,

Senator Jack

I found the same thing with H&M. The armholes aren't vintage-high but they're higher than standard modern. Cheap too. Or they were a couple of years ago - i think i paid $45 for a black pinstripe velvet hacking jacket. I don't know what their prices are like these days.

The good thing about H&M is that they have *small* sizes. Their 36 is pretty much like a modern US 34 fit. Pity most of their stuff is garbage. Same with Zara, which i believe is a Brazilian knock-off place doing the same ideas as H&M. Zara is a bit more expensive, though ...

bk

Harry Lime said:
You'll undoubtedly accessorize it better than this model.

Harry Lime

223M_enlarged.jpg

I dunno. I like the tattersall shirt on the model. It lends a certain appropriate country air to the tweed. And the mustard cords (or are they moleskin?) top off the look perfectly. With a woolen tie, the look would be prefect. Shoulders look at least 2 inches too big for him (model), though ...

bk

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I bought one of their Harris Tweed sport coats today... something I have been eyeballing for a few months and waiting for a sale (I usually do not, though the price was too high for me to just buy).

I needed something to replace the old plaid I had been wearing for a couple years straight (I was getting board, so sue me).

Hopefully this jacket will have a long life and lots of trips. Pretty heavy and warm so it will spend some time in the closet since I am in California.

The lapels are a little narrower than I would like, though it has a very good shape.

Same problem as most all modern menswear... THE ARMHOLES ARE BIGGER THAN THEY NEED TO BE.

I will write them a letter about this.

Is it vented?

Harry Lime

Suspended
Agree to disagree.

Baron Kurtz said:
223M_enlarged.jpg

I dunno. I like the tattersall shirt on the model. It lends a certain appropriate country air to the tweed. And the mustard cords (or are they moleskin?) top off the look perfectly. With a woolen tie, the look would be prefect. Shoulders look at least 2 inches too big for him (model), though ...

bk

I think it's a dull ensemble. Mustard is a hard color for 90% of the population to wear, this guy included. There is a red undertone to his fair skin which makes mustard a terrible choice. A grey, or even deeper green or blue, would be much better. Likewise the tattersal is a poor companion to the coarser fabric of this jacket. The tie? Just a dud.

Matt will come up with something much better, I assure you. A littel vinatge mixed in with some better color choices will make this jacket really nice. Matt, post pictures when you do this. I'm betting on you.

What are the odds on Matt vs. Catalogue model?

Harry Lime

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I went with a Tattersall shirt of a more muted pattern and a pair of darker brown trousers. Red yellow and blue striped tie looks fantastic. Thankfully the red tone of the jacket lightens up my hair a bit and goes well with my skin tone.

I'll get some pics soon enough.

All the sport jacket ensembles that were in last seasons catalog could have been done better.

Mustard just looks bad on white men, but always looks good on black men. Same thing with the plaid suit. I love the 50s/60s Southern black gentleman look -plaid suit, mismatched vest, white shoes, white belt, - but I know whenever I try on a plaid suit that I look like a used car salesman!

Regards,

Senator Jack

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I bought some dress shirts for work from Brooks Bros. I bought the non-iron with forward point collars and they are very very nice. What was nicer? I bought them at noon on Wednesday and they were at my door when I got home from the office the next day! Amazing. In 24 hours, they were mine.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
I bought some dress shirts for work from Brooks Bros. I bought the non-iron with forward point collars and they are very very nice. What was nicer? I bought them at noon on Wednesday and they were at my door when I got home from the office the next day! Amazing. In 24 hours, they were mine.

Yea, those no-iron shirts are a steal, I think they were $150 for three or somewhere around there. I am so excited though since suposively Brookes Brothers is coming back in full with tradtional clothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari