Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brothel Creepers - any fans?

Edward

Bartender
I've been looking for a thread on these, but can't find one... Any ans of brothel creepers out there? I know they weren't part of the look to begin with, but they have become synonymous with Teddy Boys.... I went to put mine on this morning and realised the glue holding the soles on was letting go. Anyone know if they are worth trying to repair? Normally I would be staight into Timpsons, but a few years ago I spent over the odds trying to repair a cheap pair of co-respondents with that problem, and they were never the same again.... If it is time for replacement, is it possible to get hold of a pair of Creepers with a stitched on sole, or did that never exist?

MissMittens

One Too Many
UHU make a rubberized glue which will fix them up nicely. Takes a lot longer to dry than it says on the tube. If you were in the US I'd reccomend "Shoe Goo" but I never saw that in the UK so am pretty sure that they don't sell it there

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I've been looking for a thread on these, but can't find one... Any ans of brothel creepers out there? I know they weren't part of the look to begin with, but they have become synonymous with Teddy Boys.... I went to put mine on this morning and realised the glue holding the soles on was letting go. Anyone know if they are worth trying to repair? Normally I would be staight into Timpsons, but a few years ago I spent over the odds trying to repair a cheap pair of co-respondents with that problem, and they were never the same again.... If it is time for replacement, is it possible to get hold of a pair of Creepers with a stitched on sole, or did that never exist?

I used to wear Creepers as I was a Teddy Boy in the 1970s, unfortunately After around 3 years I decided they looked a bit.. how shall we say not to offend...Stupid. Sorry but as I wore them thats my opinion. To be honest they looked ok for a time but even though these were originally available sometime in the 1950s I think some things should stay firmly in the past. They do look like a teenage thing, definitely not a mature look. I personally would not be seen dead in a pair even with my original drape.
If I can download a picture of myself wearing some I will try to get it on here.
J

Edward

Bartender
UHU make a rubberized glue which will fix them up nicely. Takes a lot longer to dry than it says on the tube. If you were in the US I'd reccomend "Shoe Goo" but I never saw that in the UK so am pretty sure that they don't sell it there

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

I used to wear Creepers as I was a Teddy Boy in the 1970s, unfortunately After around 3 years I decided they looked a bit.. how shall we say not to offend...Stupid. Sorry but as I wore them thats my opinion. To be honest they looked ok for a time but even though these were originally available sometime in the 1950s I think some things should stay firmly in the past. They do look like a teenage thing, definitely not a mature look. I personally would not be seen dead in a pair even with my original drape.
If I can download a picture of myself wearing some I will try to get it on here.
J

Heh, they're not for everybody. I like how light on my feet I feel i them. :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I'm under the impression that brothel creepers refer to suede shoes, but I'm guessing you guys are referring to something else?

Edward

Bartender
I'm under the impression that brothel creepers refer to suede shoes, but I'm guessing you guys are referring to something else?

357758r43675g1102207fh1481824n.jpg

images

Often suede, but not always. It's this particular style, with the D-ring eyelets and thick crepe sole that is a "brothel creeper" - the original idea being you could creep quietly out of a brothel while wearing them.... Naughty boys, some of those Teds... ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothel_creeper

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Edward, you can purchase "Barge" brand contact cement to do the repairs on your shoes, even find it for sale on the internet. The trick to using it is simple, be sure the surface is clean as possible and use a clamp. use some "C" clamps if you can find one or two to help clamp parts you are gluing together, and let it sit for a period of 24 hours. Most shoe repairmen use that type of glue for soles and leather as well. My shoe repairman here in my town only uses this glue for what he does. Hope this can help fix your issues with the shoes.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Heh, they're not for everybody. I like how light on my feet I feel i them. :)

I always thought they were quite heavy, if worn in wet weather and you stood still in a dance hall a puddle magically appeared.
I eventually went on to wear Eaton chukka boots. These were a bit like old ladies house bootee's except had two hole laces rather than zips. Some old Teds still wear them.

dnjan

One Too Many
Edward, you can purchase "Barge" brand contact cement to do the repairs on your shoes, even find it for sale on the internet. The trick to using it is simple, be sure the surface is clean as possible and use a clamp. use some "C" clamps if you can find one or two to help clamp parts you are gluing together, and let it sit for a period of 24 hours. Most shoe repairmen use that type of glue for soles and leather as well. My shoe repairman here in my town only uses this glue for what he does. Hope this can help fix your issues with the shoes.
Second the recommendation for Barge Cement.
Great Stuff

This is a contact cement, so pry the pieces apart as much as possible, apply the glue, and let it start to set.
Then carefully clamp.
Note - it is important to get the pieces properly aligned when you let them come in contact, as there will be no opportunity for adjustment.

Also, the stuff stinks, so use adequate ventilation.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gosh, I have so many pairs of these from my younger rockabilly days, in every color and fabrication imaginable. I haven't worn them in well over a a decade. My favorite pair has Elvis' face on them:
il_570xN.264690125.jpg

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Thanks! I'll check that out....

Gosh, I have so many pairs of these from my younger rockabilly days, in every color and fabrication imaginable. I have work them in well over a a decade. My favorite pair has Elvis' face on them:
il_570xN.264690125.jpg

Cool! So... were glued on soles the norm, or were they ever stitched?

A miracle! Oh wait...it's not a pancake or a toast.

lol

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Could they possibly have come up with a more horrid name for these? lol They're a bit odd looking for my taste, but I can see why some folks might like them, but dang I wouldn't want to wear them just based on the name!

TomS

One Too Many
Could they possibly have come up with a more horrid name for these? lol They're a bit odd looking for my taste, but I can see why some folks might like them, but dang I wouldn't want to wear them just based on the name!

I could not have put it that well, but you and I are in agreement, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy