Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bunny vs beaver

Leacock

Familiar Face
When ordering a hat what are the pros and cons of rabbit felt vs beaver? I own a very lovely beaver from Northwest Hats and a 'fine fur felt' official Indy (presumably some sort of blend) but I don't own any rabbit felt.

There does tend to be quite a price difference and as I am currently thinking about commissioning a white hat from someone and am consequently leery about price (which is another question, can one clean a white hat? do they tend to look dirty quickly or do they look fine, what are people's experiences with white hats?).

But regardless I would like to know what are the differences between the two materials?

DougC

Practically Family
Akubras are, for the most part, are rabbit. Mine have all shed water well and been pretty hard wearing--I've had a campdraft and a fed iv.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
ehhh......

There is a boat load of information if you take the time to search through the forum. This discussion has been had ad nauseum.

In a nutshell, when we're talking about modern felts, a beaver felt is going to be generally more durable and water resistant (beavers live in water, rabbits do not). Beaver hats tend to be denser, but this is not always necessarily the case, there's many manufacturing variations to consider.

DougC

Practically Family
From the Akubra site: "In 1874 Benjamin Dunkerley arrived in Tasmania from England and decided to start a hat making business in Hobart. His skills as a hatter were backed by his ability to invent machinery, and soon after his arrival he had developed a mechanical method of removing the hair tip from rabbit fur so the under-fur could be used in felt hat making. Previously this task had to be done by hand." I don't think they only use male rabbits. Edited--doh! Thought a hare was a male rabbit. It's not; just a different rodent.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Now I wonder if FEPSA is using "hare" or rabbit or both...?

At least for the felts they produce for Optimo, they are using wild beaver and hare. I imagine Graham has his felts made to his specifications, so all of their felts might not be wild furs. But they have the capacity to make them.

Leacock

Familiar Face
Aw, with the title I thought the FL was heading in a whole new interesting direction.

Wouldn't want to disappoint you.

latest

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Would anyone be able to offer more detail regarding this? Perhaps some comparative pictures?

Would the rabbit be smoother?

It depends.

With Akubra felts, their hare felts (Heritage line) are finished nicer than rabbit. How an individual hatter finishes their felts is a question specific to the skills of the individual hatter. Hatters are generally worlds above Akubra on smoothness, if we're using that as a reference point.

And there's also the oddballs, like the long hair finishes, which aren't smooth per se, but are rabbit fur blends.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It depends.

With Akubra felts, their hare felts (Heritage line) are finished nicer than rabbit. How an individual hatter finishes their felts is a question specific to the skills of the individual hatter. Hatters are generally worlds above Akubra on smoothness, if we're using that as a reference point.

And there's also the oddballs, like the long hair finishes, which aren't smooth per se, but are rabbit fur blends.

Wondering then, if the Imperial grade is only rabbit? Hare? Or a blend?

Leacock

Familiar Face
It depends.

So as a general rule of thumb rabbit would be rougher than beaver? That's not what I expected.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt