Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Business formal?

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Looking for a few opinions here from you finely dressed folk. :)

I'm going to my wife's company's holiday party this weekend. The company finally sent out invitations - today [huh]:rolleyes:

On these invites, it states that the dress code requires "business formal".

Now, this is a software company (at which I was once employed as well), and for most of the staff, "dressed up" is a clean t-shirt and jeans with no holes. Seriously, I've seen shoes that are more duct tape than fabric. But I digress.

My question is this: Is my good suit (dark blue pinstripe) appropriate? I've spoken to a few former co-workers, and opinions range from a shirt and tie with slacks to a full-blown tuxedo.

To confuse the matter, my wife has informed me that most of the ladies are dressing to the nines in fancy dresses that border on ballgowns.

So, do I follow the late-arriving information in the invite? Or do we dress to match the ladies? I don't want to overdress, but I would feel worse if I were underdressed!

Cheers!

Edward

Bartender
I refer the gentleman to the quotation in my signature... ;)

Heh. I'd normally shoot straight for black tie, though if the stated dress code is "business formal" I'd be inclined to the view that what they're getting at is lounge suit, collar and tie..... Even so, if your wife is dressing in something that black tie would be appropriate with, why not go that route?

Johnnysan

One Too Many
I think that in today's parlance, "business formal" translates into what many of us still consider "business traditional" - a suit and tie, or, at the least, a sportcoat and tie.

Unless the invitation expressly calls for "black tie", I think a tux is too over the top for the occasion. Both words in the invitation are important..."business" meaning something you could wear to the office (even if you don't) and "formal" meaning something you should wear to the office (even if you don't!) :) Given what you describe as what passes as "dressed up", I'd venture that a dark blue pinstripe will work quite nicely.

I personally think that women have a bit more latitude in the area of formal dress than men...there are more "shades of grey" and even if some of them opt for formal gowns, there will be less variance across the spectrum. A solitary guy in a tux among a room full of guys in chinos will really stand out.

The upshot of this is that you could have a VERY full dance card for the night...;)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Business formal means a suit (and trimmings). Not, and let me stress this, NOT a tux. Something you'd wear to a business meeting with a client you'd like to impress.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
I would like to refer you to Edward's signature.

Business formal is a dark suit, white shirt, tie, etc. Normally a dark blue or dark gray... Honestly though, I don't think I have ever seen the dark gray at a party... interesting.

Polish up the shoes, throw on the suit, push down the pocket square, grab your lid and have a good time at the party!

Edit: Think banker, lawyer (maybe not so much lawyer anymore depending on ones geographical location...)

Feraud

Bartender
CdnDandy said:
Now, this is a software company (at which I was once employed as well), and for most of the staff, "dressed up" is a clean t-shirt and jeans with no holes. Seriously, I've seen shoes that are more duct tape than fabric. But I digress.
Based on this comment, I think your suit of choice is perfect.

Will

One of the Regulars
Since it's a software company, the liklihood is that no two people there have the same idea what 'business formal' means. You'll see everything from khakis to dinner jackets - I doubt that any of the engineers so much as own a suit.

Wear a dinner jacket. You'll look great and everyone else will enjoy it as well.

obiwan

Familiar Face
Business formal to me, is a dark solid color suit, white shirt, conservative tie.

I work for a digital entertainment company, I wore a charcoal suit, white shirt, blue with red accents tie and a red cardigan vest.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned - what's the wife wearing? Match her level of dress.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Wife was going to be wearing a simple LBD, but she decided yesterday that it wasn't going to be acceptable, based on the outfits of her female co-workers. Last night, she picked up a knockout little red number that's pretty dressy. So, the good suit. Do I do a red tie to match her? Or go with a stylin' yellow?

Thanks for the advice, all! And I have confirmation that at least one fella is being begged by his better half to pull out the tux, while several of the developers are moaning about having to wear a collar at all. :)

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I've never liked the 'cute matching couple' phenomenon. ...however, that's me and my cynicism. Have fun with it, remember that if the two of you aren't attached at the hip all night, there's not much of a point of matching, other than for your initial entrance and general introductions. Compliment each other without overdoing it.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
I didn't mean to give the impression that I was going for "matching". What I'm wondering about is, as you said, "complimenting". I assure you, the tie is not cut from the same cloth as the dress.

However, we will likely be "attached at the hip all night".

The Wingnut said:
I've never liked the 'cute matching couple' phenomenon. ...however, that's me and my cynicism. Have fun with it, remember that if the two of you aren't attached at the hip all night, there's not much of a point of matching, other than for your initial entrance and general introductions. Compliment each other without overdoing it.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Sorry, I have images in my head of a couple I know that had a matching Victorian-era dress and frock coat of a garish teal satin fabric.

Sounds as if you've avoided that phenomenon.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Business formal means a suit (and trimmings). Not, and let me stress this, NOT a tux. Something you'd wear to a business meeting with a client you'd like to impress.

Exactly - if they'd meant a tux, it would've said black tie. As others have posted - a suit and tie like you'd wear to impress a prospective client or similar.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Aftermath

It went fairly well, for a company shindig. The fella who "threatened" to wear a tux decided that he would feel too uncomfortable in that level of dress, and opted for a straight suit. Most of the guys were dressed in good suits, with a few misfits. One guy thought a jacket over a black logo'ed tee shirt and a pair of blue jeans was "business formal". [huh] The women, as expected, ranged from simple dresses to elegant ball gowns.

My wife says she was told a few times that I was well-dressed, which is nice to hear. And of course, she was a knockout in her little red dress! Once the photos come up from the company, I'll post a few here. All I had was my camera phone, which doesn't do well in low light.

Oh, and Wingnut - you'll be happy to hear that I went with the yellow tie. The red, as you feared, was a little too "matchy". ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic