Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying jackets on Japanese auction sites

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We have different views on buyee being strictly poxy of buying and reselling at a profit. I explained my case base on the money trail. Either way, tenso agreed to take the jacket back, paypal did no jam him to take it back because they were going to issue a refund. Perhaps he did inspect the jacket like he was contracted to do and decided it was as described. I think tenso may get hit with Japan import taxes because he is importing a US-made jacket into Japan. I know he put me and others through the wringer paying US import taxes on US-made jacket re-entering the US because he filled the customs paper out incorrectly. I did message tenso about the custom error but he has not responded.
I do not plan on searching the buyee website but if something is brought to my attention I not ruling out taking another stab.
I am losing on shipping both ways and chasing my custom payment.
tenso is getting his jacket back without any additional expenses unless japan customs hits him. He did per agreement examine the jacket and decided it was not damaged so he is getting his goods back.
As said happy for you.

Last edited:

willyto

One Too Many
We have different views on buyee being strictly poxy of buying and reselling at a profit. I explained my case base on the money trail. Either way, tenso agreed to take the jacket back, paypal did no jam him to take it back because they were going to issue a refund. Perhaps he did inspect the jacket like he was contracted to do and decided it was as described. I think tenso may get hit with Japan import taxes because he is importing a US-made jacket into Japan. I know he put me and others through the wringer paying US import taxes on US-made jacket re-entering the US because he filled the customs paper out incorrectly. I did message tenso about the custom error but he has not responded.
I do not plan on searching the buyee website but if something is brought to my attention I not ruling out taking another stab.
I am losing on shipping both ways and chasing my custom payment.
tenso is getting his jacket back without any additional expenses unless japan customs hits him. He did per agreement examine the jacket and decided it was not damaged so he is getting his goods back.
I don't actually understand why you use Tenso as a single person here. Tenso is the name of the business.

Also you should send the jacket as RETURNED GOODS rather than send it like if it was a sale (Or whatever is needed for returns).

Regardless the proxy service I'm glad you're getting your money back but they aren't making a profit by reselling the jacket. You're giving them your money so they can buy you a product and take a fee in the process. That's nothing like buying and reselling, they don't have the goods nor are reselling them for profit, they are acting as a proxy and their only benefit is the fee of the transaction.

We should be thankful that we can use these proxies to buy from Japan to be honest.

By the way, returned goods shipping is always on the buyer. That's how it works. It sucks but...the risk of buying online.

jonbuilder

I don't actually understand why you use Tenso as a single person here. Tenso is the name of the business.
I did not intend tenso to be a person but the company that sold me the jacket
you should send the jacket as RETURNED GOODS rather than send it like if it was a sale (Or whatever is needed for returns).
I agree this is what I should do. Also tenso inc should have filled the custom papers to me out properly as the jacket originate or was made in the US, not Japan, also tenso inc should have responded to my request to correct the custom documents. Maybe my actions will move tenso inc to pay more attention when filling out the customs documents for items going back into the US. Wake up tenso inc do your due diligence.
By the way, returned goods shipping is always on the buyer. That's how it works. It sucks but...the risk of buying online.
Maybe that is how it works in Spain but that is not the custom in the US with damaged goods. This is not a case of buyer's remorse, if the jacket I received matched the jacket presented on tenso inc's website buyee I would not be seeking a return, I would be ecstatic

Last edited:

NYDRH

One of the Regulars
Does anyone know if it's possible to ask a seller a question on mercari through buyee? I had a weird exchange with their help desk which leads me to believe it's not possible but wanted to see if anyone had a definitive answer.

willyto

One Too Many
Thank you for complements :) I’m really excited see this age and break in.
You’ve got it exactly right, I also have the black ones as well. They’re my pants for work and find them very comfortable

Does anyone know if it's possible to ask a seller a question on mercari through buyee? I had a weird exchange with their help desk which leads me to believe it's not possible but wanted to see if anyone had a definitive answer.

I would like to know myself

I messaged Buyee to see if they could contact a seller to see if the seller would relist an item I missed and didn't sell and they said they couldn't do that, that it was up to the seller to relist or not but they couldn't contact them to ask about that in particular.

jonbuilder

Paypal has informed me they decided the case in my favor and issued a refund for the purchase price. This is after I was informed tenso agree to take the jacket back and issue a refund. I was required to ship the jacket back I used USPS $106. DHL was $270 even though they charge $54 to ship to me through tenso. Tacking indicates USPS made two attempts to deliver I guess paypal did not wait for tenso to refund and acted. Today the purchase cost me $54 & $106 in shipping $77customs fess due to tenso incorrectly filling out the customs forms and a trip to Johnson Leathers to get documentation that the jacket was not as described on tenso's buyee website. Alan told me there is no way he would have seen the damage from the pictures and description tenso presented on the buyee website. Paypal request I submit documentation
One thing to note the standard protection plan which is part of the $100 in fees tenso charges includes

Service Fee: 500 JPY per order

This plan offers a full inspection of your items at our warehouse, and guarantees a refund in the event they are damaged.

If tenso had followed their plan procedure they would never have shipped the jacket to me.

Case closed.

My suggestion based on the way paypal handled the dispute I started is when paying for an item with tenso / buyee fund the payment with a credit card, not your paypal balance.

Paypal has informed me they decided the case in my favor and issued a refund for the purchase price. This is after I was informed tenso agree to take the jacket back and issue a refund. I was required to ship the jacket back I used USPS $106. DHL was $270 even though they charge $54 to ship to me through tenso. Tacking indicates USPS made two attempts to deliver I guess paypal did not wait for tenso to refund and acted. Today the purchase cost me $54 & $106 in shipping $77customs fess due to tenso incorrectly filling out the customs forms and a trip to Johnson Leathers to get documentation that the jacket was not as described on tenso's buyee website. Alan told me there is no way he would have seen the damage from the pictures and description tenso presented on the buyee website. Paypal request I submit documentation
One thing to note the standard protection plan which is part of the $100 in fees tenso charges includes

Service Fee: 500 JPY per order

This plan offers a full inspection of your items at our warehouse, and guarantees a refund in the event they are damaged.

If tenso had followed their plan procedure they would never have shipped the jacket to me.

Case closed.

My suggestion based on the way paypal handled the dispute I started is when paying for an item with tenso / buyee fund the payment with a credit card, not your paypal balance.

Well done! Glad it worked out. Cool that Alan supported you the way he did. And I can’t wait to see JLs full on Trojan build. My two-tone JL is sort of a mini-Trojan and they nailed it.

stitchdown

Familiar Face
@jonbuilder I have a jacket I'm interested in on buyee and don't really have too many concerns regarding the condition of the jacket, but I do want to ensure I'm accounting for all shipping fees, etc.. This is what I'm looking at:

Item Price: 50,000 yen
Buyee Service Fee: 300yen
Payment Fee: 200yen
International Shipping fee: 5,862yen

So is that it? My all-in cost would be 56,000 yen or roughly $500, plus any additional customs fees?

How much could customs total worst case scenario?

Last edited:

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
@jonbuilder I have a jacket I'm interested in on buyee and don't really have too many concerns regarding the condition of the jacket, but I do want to ensure I'm accounting for all shipping fees, etc.. This is what I'm looking at:

Item Price: 50,000 yen
Buyee Service Fee: 300yen
Payment Fee: 200yen
International Shipping fee: 5,862yen

So is that it? My all-in cost would be 56,000 yen or roughly $500, plus any additional customs fees?

How much could customs total worst case scenario?
I think anything under $800 doesn't incur customs charges to US. If you're in another country, no idea what that might be. There's an exclusion if the jacket was made in USA and is returning, but I'd not count on that. Requires them to fill out the forms properly.

The Shipping fee is the prepaid one or you're estimating? You need to account for domestic shipping (seller to buyee warehouse, maybe $10-20 estimate) and then international shipping to you. There's an option, but I've never had any luck being allowed to use it where they allow you to prepay the shipping upfront, and then if the package is lighter, you're basically on the hook for the whole amount. But the opposite works true if the jacket is heavier as well.

stitchdown

Familiar Face
It would be the one I'm estimating (see photo). I was just using 6000 grams which seems like more than double what my actual shipment should weigh unless my math is wildly off:

Attachments

• snip_20210331210825.png
    snip_20210331210825.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 566

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
ah ok. So add another $15-20 for the domestic shipping to be safe. Sometimes it'll say in the listing, but you need to read all the fine print and of course translate to English.

My Vanson Enfield was just over 3.3 kg. My Schott

Edit: got cut off for some reason. My Schott was closer to 2.2 or something like that. I remember on one of the carriers, the price jumps crazy after like 3.5kg if I'm not mistaken. So just be careful on super thick jackets wtih buckles, etc. But most should be sub 3kg

stitchdown

Familiar Face
So that's really it? Because I would do somersaults to pick up the jacket I'm looking at for under $550. Hell, even $650

dwilson

A-List Customer
Here is the cost breakdown of my Flat Head I bought off Buyee. This year I've spent around $1300 on importing from buyee and have yet to pay a dime in customs. All-in the 89,998 jacket cost me 96,234
Buy price: 89,998 yen

Fees:
  • Payment Fee 200 yen
  • Buyee Service Fee 300 yen
  • Standard Plan 500 yen
Shipping:
International Shipping Fee
(From Buyee to your Address)
4,356 yen
Domestic Shipping Fee
(From seller to Buyee)
880 yen
Shipping Cost Total
US $ 51.32 (5,236 yen

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Here is the cost breakdown of my Flat Head I bought off Buyee. This year I've spent around $1300 on importing from buyee and have yet to pay a dime in customs. All-in the 89,998 jacket cost me 96,234
Buy price: 89,998 yen

Fees:
  • Payment Fee 200 yen
  • Buyee Service Fee 300 yen
  • Standard Plan 500 yen
Shipping:
International Shipping Fee
(From Buyee to your Address)
4,356 yen
Domestic Shipping Fee
(From seller to Buyee)
880 yen
Shipping Cost Total
US $ 51.32 (5,236 yen
you might get something in the mail charging you. sometimes the carrier will pay and then invoice you directly. It all depends. In any case, I don't think it's a big hit. Just referencing the Thurston Bros stuff, they breakdown the costs of the Aero jackets and I think it's usually like 40 or 50 GBP on a $1200 jacket. So maybe like $60ish worst case. And if you're barely crossing $800 threshold will probably be less.

dwilson

A-List Customer
you might get something in the mail charging you. sometimes the carrier will pay and then invoice you directly. It all depends. In any case, I don't think it's a big hit. Just referencing the Thurston Bros stuff, they breakdown the costs of the Aero jackets and I think it's usually like 40 or 50 GBP on a $1200 jacket. So maybe like $60ish worst case. And if you're barely crossing $800 threshold will probably be less.

Certainly a possability. The only time I've had to pay customs was years ago when I kept buying stuff off Rakuten and FedEx asked for payment on delivery. So far that has been my only experience paying a duty. My jacket was dropped off over a month ago and no bill so far.

Rgcards

A-List Customer
I've bought 5 jackets off buyee. Total fees has not exceed 65$ including shipping. One they originally had 200 dollars for shipping. I wrote and asked them to change from dhl to fed ex and that brought shipping down to 54. That was for a size 44, 4 oz lost worlds rider. Pretty much heaviest possible jacket

jonbuilder

I figured my experience was closed buying a vintage Trojan Sportswear jacket through buyee. Fast update paypal refunded my $1,400 purchase price but I was out the return shipping $106, shipping from buyee to myself about $45, and $70 of custom fees because tenso incorrectly file the forms that the jacket originated in Japan.
Well, the Trojan turned up on my doorstep today, tenso refused delivery.
End result I have a vintage cream Trojan Sportwears jacket size 40 one size too small and tears were the leather is weak for $221 and some aggravation.
I think Terry would agree, the tag is worth the cost alone
I wonder what magic Danna or JL could perform on this rare classic from Southern Cal

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I figured my experience was closed buying a vintage Trojan Sportswear jacket through buyee. Fast update paypal refunded my $1,400 purchase price but I was out the return shipping $106, shipping from buyee to myself about $45, and $70 of custom fees because tenso incorrectly file the forms that the jacket originated in Japan.
Well, the Trojan turned up on my doorstep today, tenso refused delivery.
End result I have a vintage cream Trojan Sportwears jacket size 40 one size too small and tears were the leather is weak for $221 and some aggravation.
I think Terry would agree, the tag is worth the cost alone
I wonder what magic Danna or JL could perform on this rare classic from Southern Cal

What a Tale! Sure worth the $221. Yes, contact Dena and discuss the jacket with here see what she can do. Crazy story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred