Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson’s USAAF Superior Togs B-10 Flying Jacket

HPA Rep

Vendor
Here’s Buzz Rickson’s USAAF B-10 Flying Jacket, Superior Togs.

So as to help put the B-10 images now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 40. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt sleeve, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

The overwhelming majority of our customers purchase this jacket in a marked size that directly corresponds to their chest measure: chest measures 40”, jacket size equals 40.

This B-10 is a delight to wear and it’s easy to understand that, given the superior warmth and comfort of this style, why it was destined to replace the A-2 jacket in WWII. I’ve found that a B-10 worn with a sweater, shirt and undershirt is quite adequate for extended use in temperatures down to 38 degrees F., though wind speed and personal tolerance of cold weather are variables to consider.

This is our most popular B-10 style, which came as a surprise to me considering it’s not a “typical” B-10, because it has the berry-colored knit parts. The knit color we commonly associate with vintage A-2 jackets produced in select contracts from Aero Leather of Beacon, NY, was genuinely found on at least one example of a vintage B-10 produced by Superior Togs and is why Buzz Rickson’s uses this maker-specific label in producing this jacket style.

I have personally seen a vintage B-10 with the berry-colored knit back in the early 1990s at the now-defunct Great Western Show in Pomona, CA, which was a rather-threadbare B-10 specimen and it’s only in retrospect that I now wish I had purchased it; I had no idea how rare such a jacket was at the time. My best recollection of that B-10 is that it was not produced by Superior Togs, which if I’m correct in my recall, would mean at least one other contractor produced these oddball B-10s.

It is a combination of the distinctive knit color, olive-hued body color, rusty-colored collar fur, and pocket-flap contour that has made this B-10 so popular for us.

We have sizes 38-44 in stock. The current price for the B-10 is $490.00. All prices always include U. S. customs duty, 
import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All re-stocks on this jacket for fall will have a manufacturer-imposed price increase, so if we have your size and item choice in stock prior to receiving the F/W 2015 replenishment, ordering before the replenishment stock arrives will yield you the benefit of the current price that is less costly than what will be available in the fall.

All items that we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com/...erior-togs-co/

_DSC0002crpadjwo.jpg _DSC0016crpadjwo.jpg _DSC0009crpadjwo.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Here’s Buzz Rickson’s USAAF B-10 Flying Jacket, Superior Togs.

So as to help put the B-10 images now following into some sort of fit perspective, it’s a size 40. I'm doing the modeling and my body measures are as follows: 40" chest circumference, 30" waist, 33" shirt sleeve, 5' 9" tall, 148 lbs. with a lean, athletic build.

The overwhelming majority of our customers purchase this jacket in a marked size that directly corresponds to their chest measure: chest measures 40”, jacket size equals 40.

This B-10 is a delight to wear and it’s easy to understand that, given the superior warmth and comfort of this style, why it was destined to replace the A-2 jacket in WWII. I’ve found that a B-10 worn with a sweater, shirt and undershirt is quite adequate for extended use in temperatures down to 38 degrees F., though wind speed and personal tolerance of cold weather are variables to consider.

This is our most popular B-10 style, which came as a surprise to me considering it’s not a “typical” B-10, because it has the berry-colored knit parts. The knit color we commonly associate with vintage A-2 jackets produced in select contracts from Aero Leather of Beacon, NY, was genuinely found on at least one example of a vintage B-10 produced by Superior Togs and is why Buzz Rickson’s uses this maker-specific label in producing this jacket style.

I have personally seen a vintage B-10 with the berry-colored knit back in the early 1990s at the now-defunct Great Western Show in Pomona, CA, which was a rather-threadbare B-10 specimen and it’s only in retrospect that I now wish I had purchased it; I had no idea how rare such a jacket was at the time. My best recollection of that B-10 is that it was not produced by Superior Togs, which if I’m correct in my recall, would mean at least one other contractor produced these oddball B-10s.

It is a combination of the distinctive knit color, olive-hued body color, rusty-colored collar fur, and pocket-flap contour that has made this B-10 so popular for us.

We have sizes 38-44 in stock. The current price for the B-10 is $490.00. All prices always include U. S. customs duty, 
import processing fees, currency-conversion fees and expedited shipping & insurance from the manufacturer to us in the USA.

All re-stocks on this jacket for fall will have a manufacturer-imposed price increase, so if we have your size and item choice in stock prior to receiving the F/W 2015 replenishment, ordering before the replenishment stock arrives will yield you the benefit of the current price that is less costly than what will be available in the fall.

All items that we ship to Canada are assumed by Canadian customs officials to be of U. S. origin, thus qualifying for duty-free import under NAFTA, so Canadian customers benefit greatly and should only have to pay national and provincial taxes, which are, for the most, unavoidable and would apply to items even of Canadian origin.

You can see product details, detailed and larger images, fit tips, and product measurements on our website:

https://www.historypreservation.com/...erior-togs-co/

View attachment 31284 View attachment 31285 View attachment 31286

Charles, that looks fantastic.
May I please ask how you think the Buzz Rickson's Superior Togs B-10 compares to the ELC RW B-15-A (the one with the limited NOS fabric)? The obvious knit colours and collar shape aside and the off-set zipper (which I do like), my question refers to me wondering if there is a difference in the shell materials and if the coarseness of the alpaca lining and if it's the same and if you had any general comments?
Thanks!

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, that looks fantastic.
May I please ask how you think the Buzz Rickson's Superior Togs B-10 compares to the ELC RW B-15-A (the one with the limited NOS fabric)? The obvious knit colours and collar shape aside and the off-set zipper (which I do like), my question refers to me wondering if there is a difference in the shell materials and if the coarseness of the alpaca lining and if it's the same and if you had any general comments?
Thanks!

Thank you for the inquiry and kind words, my friend. If we limit the question and study to just the fabrics, which is what I think you are asking, I'd say that, as a starter, the exterior fabric is different, with NOS being NOS and not reproduction. The RW B-15A utilizes NOS M-43 Field Jacket (and trouser) fabric, which is extremely close to what some B-15A jackets were made from, whereas as the B-10 fabric was/is a bit different in that it's not as coarse and not so twill like.

The alpaca linings are both excellent, but BR alpaca is more accurate because it's double-faced and ELC alpaca isn't. BR alpaca is also more coarse and more dense (as per vintage), and their coloring is usually more accurate to the point on some jackets that it's not likely anyone can tell the difference from a vintage example laid next to it.

ELC and BR offer the very best available, in terms of authenticity, in alpaca-lined reproduction garments, each with something a little different. I sometimes get asked about who offers the most accurate B-10 and each of these two makers have some elements better than the other, so it just comes down to what elements you put more weight on. The BR will be a bit more insulating, so that's what most folks care about when all else is splitting hairs on details. Price is another issue, which gives and edge to BR, too. But comparing a B-10 to B-15A, which I don't think was your question, is quite different and you just want to know about component comparisons.

The ELC RW B-15A is really special and certainly something that will be gone one day, and I have a personal love for the B-15A and its leather triangles on the chest and snap-down chest tabs; I have a BR B-15A and really love it, which is made from End-Zone twill from a about 5-6 years ago, as well as a B-15A (mod.)

B-10's are yet another vacuum of my desires and the Superior Togs styling really appeals to be, but so do other makers. Rough Wear is another goodie, which was omnipresent throughout WWII. No going wrong with any of these I've mentioned from either of the reproduction makers. I hope this helped!

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Charles, thank you so much for the concise reply and your learned evaluation in the comparisons. That helps me a lot!
And looking closely at the M-43 material is a good point of reference for those of us here who have to make as informed a choice as possible based merely on photo reference and with help from people like yourself when many of us here don't have the luxury/option to wander happily into the ELC QM tent at RAF Duxford (not me this year, anyway!) to try jackets on and get a tactile sense of the materials. It certainly looks like a nice, strong fabric.
I was curious about the quality of the materials as I am wondering how they will look in the many years ahead. I am about to undergo a change of lifestyle in that I will soon be commuting from outside the city on the highway and onto the subway/bus, so for the first time since I started work when I was 18, I won't be riding a bike to work (well, I suppose I could still ride. I'd just need to set off at midnight and have an iron lung put in at work) and will be wearing a lot more regular clothes. I also have some one-off cash coming from work and I can afford a nice jacket for myself again, so I want to make a good choice here.
I feel that another winter jacket makes the most sense as it will get the most wear with our reliably long and cold winters - and I have a nice selection of leather jackets (which, like all leather jackets, only look better with age) in my ELC 1942 Patt. Irvin and RW B-3, plus the ELC C-3 and RW B-6, plus my Luftwaffe. I have my Aero ANJ-3, so another A2 would compete for use with that, and I don't want that.
An ANJ-4 appeals of course, but my two Heavy Zone jackets got little wear last Winter (my vintage mid-1950s N3-B didn't even come out of the closet once!) and the one that easily got the most use was my ELC RW B-6, so something else along that level of warmth would make sense, I'm thinking. I don't want a jacket that will cook me unduly as I'll be "inside" in the car and on the (cool but not cold) subways for the majority of the commutes - I don't want to be soaking a shirt underneath before I've even got to work.
I considered the Aero Longshoreman for a while, but civilian jackets ... they just don't grab me like military jackets do for some reason. A good military jacket fits me body and soul. I don't know why I feel that, but there it is.
So I thought a nylon jacket would make sense and I have been closely scrutinizing the Buzz Rickson's B-10s on your website - plus the ELC B-10 and the two B-15s they make (because I like their house style in general and the cut agrees with my frame and I know their sizing too) - and I want a nice mouton collar, so as a process of elimination, the modified versions are out.
But then I was looking at the Buzz B-15s and they really appeal to me as well - especially as I got my Buzz L2-A from you (having let my BR L2 go - and what a classy colour that jacket was! Should have kept it!) and I can attest to the quality of Buzz's nylon - it's so authentic and impressive, both in terms of material and colour. And I know a size 40 would fit me a treat as my L2-A does.
So at this point, I really like the BR 1950 B-15C (olive drab shell w/ brown mouton collar) and the B-15D (sage green, green mouton collar) and I feel that it's a three-way competition between those two and the ELC RW B-15A (NOS fabric w/ brown mouton collar). I'm thinking that the B-15C would "go" better with my two ELC B-2 caps which are always on my head in winters ...
I'm thinking that the difference between the BR fabric over the ELC NOS fabric would be that they'd perhaps wipe down better (any light accidental marks, I'm thinking of) and perhaps keep their shape better and look less (I can't think of a better term, sorry) "shabby" in years to come ...?
I see that one difference for me to consider now (which wasn't immediately apparent to me) is that the two BR B-15 jackets have the alpaca linings enclosed between the inner lining and outer nylon shell! My vintage N3-B has an enclosed lining and, my goodness, it feels like a dense blanket padding in there! It's amazing and something I really like as it feels reassuringly cosy. Do the BR jackets feel that was as well and do they (the B-15C versus the B-15D) have the same warmth/insulation value as each other?
Thank you for all of your help and guidance. It's very much appreciated!

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
... and as I'm on vacation and have the time to trawl TFL for more info, I have just found your links which helps with the B-15s as you also posted great photos of fit pics of the Buzz B-10, Superior Togs B-10 plus side-by-side views of the B-15s I'm interested in to compare the colours! Fit pics help enormously (and not on a slender Japanese frame as per Rakuten sites) and the additional information such as how the batches can vary in shade as per originals did!
Thanks a lot! (trouble is, I'm liking everything in one way or another! It's so hard to decide - and I still like the ELC NOS B-15A).

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...iates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/page-16

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...iates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/page-12

I also saw your lovely tribute to your mum (which I missed at the time). I'm very sorry for your loss, Charles, and I'm sure you still miss her dearly. She looked like a terrific mom and lady.

Last edited:

HPA Rep

Vendor
... and as I'm on vacation and have the time to trawl TFL for more info, I have just found your links which helps with the B-15s as you also posted great photos of fit pics of the Buzz B-10, Superior Togs B-10 plus side-by-side views of the B-15s I'm interested in to compare the colours! Fit pics help enormously (and not on a slender Japanese frame as per Rakuten sites) and the additional information such as how the batches can vary in shade as per originals did!
Thanks a lot! (trouble is, I'm liking everything in one way or another! It's so hard to decide - and I still like the ELC NOS B-15A).

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...iates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/page-16

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...iates-official-affiliate-thread.75818/page-12

I also saw your lovely tribute to your mum (which I missed at the time). I'm very sorry for your loss, Charles, and I'm sure you still miss her dearly. She looked like a terrific mom and lady.

Thank you, Standby! I'm glad my product posts are proving helpful. And I especially thank you for acknowledging my mom and her passing. She has no replacement in my life nor at work, but her presence remains everlasting wherever I go. When things are tough and I'm down, which has recently been the case during some long stretches of ill health, I just ask myself how she'd handle it and the answer is to always smile, and so I am ... :)

Please enjoy your vacation, pal. I'm sure it's deserved and needed!

I have to say, even tho I'm not a military repro guy (or even in that market)...I enjoy reading these posts and learning about all the intricate details that make these items so desirable and historically accurate. Your passion for your craft is admirable Charles. Your posts always make for a good read, even to a window shopper like myself.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, thank you so much for the concise reply and your learned evaluation in the comparisons. That helps me a lot!
And looking closely at the M-43 material is a good point of reference for those of us here who have to make as informed a choice as possible based merely on photo reference and with help from people like yourself when many of us here don't have the luxury/option to wander happily into the ELC QM tent at RAF Duxford (not me this year, anyway!) to try jackets on and get a tactile sense of the materials. It certainly looks like a nice, strong fabric.
I was curious about the quality of the materials as I am wondering how they will look in the many years ahead. I am about to undergo a change of lifestyle in that I will soon be commuting from outside the city on the highway and onto the subway/bus, so for the first time since I started work when I was 18, I won't be riding a bike to work (well, I suppose I could still ride. I'd just need to set off at midnight and have an iron lung put in at work) and will be wearing a lot more regular clothes. I also have some one-off cash coming from work and I can afford a nice jacket for myself again, so I want to make a good choice here.
I feel that another winter jacket makes the most sense as it will get the most wear with our reliably long and cold winters - and I have a nice selection of leather jackets (which, like all leather jackets, only look better with age) in my ELC 1942 Patt. Irvin and RW B-3, plus the ELC C-3 and RW B-6, plus my Luftwaffe. I have my Aero ANJ-3, so another A2 would compete for use with that, and I don't want that.
An ANJ-4 appeals of course, but my two Heavy Zone jackets got little wear last Winter (my vintage mid-1950s N3-B didn't even come out of the closet once!) and the one that easily got the most use was my ELC RW B-6, so something else along that level of warmth would make sense, I'm thinking. I don't want a jacket that will cook me unduly as I'll be "inside" in the car and on the (cool but not cold) subways for the majority of the commutes - I don't want to be soaking a shirt underneath before I've even got to work.
I considered the Aero Longshoreman for a while, but civilian jackets ... they just don't grab me like military jackets do for some reason. A good military jacket fits me body and soul. I don't know why I feel that, but there it is.
So I thought a nylon jacket would make sense and I have been closely scrutinizing the Buzz Rickson's B-10s on your website - plus the ELC B-10 and the two B-15s they make (because I like their house style in general and the cut agrees with my frame and I know their sizing too) - and I want a nice mouton collar, so as a process of elimination, the modified versions are out.
But then I was looking at the Buzz B-15s and they really appeal to me as well - especially as I got my Buzz L2-A from you (having let my BR L2 go - and what a classy colour that jacket was! Should have kept it!) and I can attest to the quality of Buzz's nylon - it's so authentic and impressive, both in terms of material and colour. And I know a size 40 would fit me a treat as my L2-A does.
So at this point, I really like the BR 1950 B-15C (olive drab shell w/ brown mouton collar) and the B-15D (sage green, green mouton collar) and I feel that it's a three-way competition between those two and the ELC RW B-15A (NOS fabric w/ brown mouton collar). I'm thinking that the B-15C would "go" better with my two ELC B-2 caps which are always on my head in winters ...
I'm thinking that the difference between the BR fabric over the ELC NOS fabric would be that they'd perhaps wipe down better (any light accidental marks, I'm thinking of) and perhaps keep their shape better and look less (I can't think of a better term, sorry) "shabby" in years to come ...?
I see that one difference for me to consider now (which wasn't immediately apparent to me) is that the two BR B-15 jackets have the alpaca linings enclosed between the inner lining and outer nylon shell! My vintage N3-B has an enclosed lining and, my goodness, it feels like a dense blanket padding in there! It's amazing and something I really like as it feels reassuringly cosy. Do the BR jackets feel that was as well and do they (the B-15C versus the B-15D) have the same warmth/insulation value as each other?
Thank you for all of your help and guidance. It's very much appreciated!

Standby, your observations and related questions are all excellent and I agree with all of these.

The B-15A is very cool, but M-43 fabric will be much more inclined to take on a "shabby" look over time vs. the nylon of the B-15C, though periodic dry cleaning should mitigate some of the "shabbiness." M-43 fabric will wrinkle more and cotton just doesn't stay as crisp as nylon, and it's going to get light colored on areas prone to wear and friction, thus creating light-colored shiny spots on longer creases, though this can be made to look better in a jiffy with a few spritzes of water spray (and, if needed, a hair dryer).

M-43 fabric will repel light rain, but not anywhere near as well as the USAF nylon, so this is a factor to ponder. And the nylon does wipe down better, as you noted. Insulation is yet another consideration, and since the alpaca is not double-faced, the B-15A won't be as warm as the vintage examples, so the B-15C will easily win for use in lower temps. As for milder temps, yes, the B-15A will be better at keeping you from steaming up, though I have worn my B-15B/C/D's at 55 F. on windy, dark, rainy days and didn't regret it at all. Knowing how cool the subway cars are in your city would be helpful, but the key is to layer and be able to unzip as needed.

When I want a military jacket to grab in the colder months, especially if traveling, I normally choose a B-15C for its versatility in so many possible settings, the five total pockets, and its slick looks that can be worn even in some upscale settings. This is so readily expressed when I travel each year to some winter-season events such as the Show of Shows in Louisville, which is in late Feb. (previously second week) and has almost always been very cold, damp, snowy, rainy, but sometimes mild, and it's held in a huge building with high ceilings and so-so heating. When attending the SoS, I grab the L-2A and B-15C, thus covering all possible temps I'll likely encounter. On those really cold days I wear the L-2A as an extra layer under the B-15C as was done in the Korean War, then strip down to the L-2A for the cool indoors. The great water repellence and moderate weight of these two nylon jackets also makes them my go-to jackets to grab in similar circumstances.

So while I have the great flying jackets with alpaca linings and cotton shells and love them dearly, they are indeed less frequently worn because they just lack the overall versatility of the nylon options and the versatility in temp ranges. Now, a B-15/B-15A in End-Zone twill gives nylon a real run for the money in water repellence, a maintainable exterior, and slick looks, but B-15C's still win in low-end temp use.

The debate on the B-15C/D is purely subjective. I love both styles and all 3 colors, but there's something about that O. D. nylon with brown fur and brown leather trim tabs that just looks superb, though the sage green of the B-15D with that matching fur collar lends a fashion-like air to what was a utilitarian garment for work.

My vote is for a nylon B-15 of some sort for wearing regularly, and the B-15/B-15A for use that's not as regular. Also, while the B-15A is definitely limited in production, BR doesn't always offer the nylon B-15's and 2017 is a year they will; we've been living off of old stock for two seasons up to this fall.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I have to say, even tho I'm not a military repro guy (or even in that market)...I enjoy reading these posts and learning about all the intricate details that make these items so desirable and historically accurate. Your passion for your craft is admirable Charles. Your posts always make for a good read, even to a window shopper like myself.

Thank you, Ton, you flatter me!

HPA Rep

Vendor

B-2 caps are awesome with nylon; I love mixing the '40's & '50's. Or go for the M-51 Field Cap, which was omnipresent among fighter pilots in Korea and which BR will offer this fall (see image below of my friend, Lt. Dick Keener of the 335th FIS in 1952 at Kempo Air Base, Korea, and some other 335th pilots).

All of the nylon B-15's will offer about the same weight and warmth and feel. The N-3 series is, of course, much heavier in weight, as are the N-2's.

335fis_keener_lr.jpg

770289-R1-02-2_003.jpg

Stand By

One Too Many
Standby, your observations and related questions are all excellent and I agree with all of these.

The B-15A is very cool, but M-43 fabric will be much more inclined to take on a "shabby" look over time vs. the nylon of the B-15C, though periodic dry cleaning should mitigate some of the "shabbiness." M-43 fabric will wrinkle more and cotton just doesn't stay as crisp as nylon, and it's going to get light colored on areas prone to wear and friction, thus creating light-colored shiny spots on longer creases, though this can be made to look better in a jiffy with a few spritzes of water spray (and, if needed, a hair dryer).

M-43 fabric will repel light rain, but not anywhere near as well as the USAF nylon, so this is a factor to ponder. And the nylon does wipe down better, as you noted. Insulation is yet another consideration, and since the alpaca is not double-faced, the B-15A won't be as warm as the vintage examples, so the B-15C will easily win for use in lower temps. As for milder temps, yes, the B-15A will be better at keeping you from steaming up, though I have worn my B-15B/C/D's at 55 F. on windy, dark, rainy days and didn't regret it at all. Knowing how cool the subway cars are in your city would be helpful, but the key is to layer and be able to unzip as needed.

When I want a military jacket to grab in the colder months, especially if traveling, I normally choose a B-15C for its versatility in so many possible settings, the five total pockets, and its slick looks that can be worn even in some upscale settings. This is so readily expressed when I travel each year to some winter-season events such as the Show of Shows in Louisville, which is in late Feb. (previously second week) and has almost always been very cold, damp, snowy, rainy, but sometimes mild, and it's held in a huge building with high ceilings and so-so heating. When attending the SoS, I grab the L-2A and B-15C, thus covering all possible temps I'll likely encounter. On those really cold days I wear the L-2A as an extra layer under the B-15C as was done in the Korean War, then strip down to the L-2A for the cool indoors. The great water repellence and moderate weight of these two nylon jackets also makes them my go-to jackets to grab in similar circumstances.

So while I have the great flying jackets with alpaca linings and cotton shells and love them dearly, they are indeed less frequently worn because they just lack the overall versatility of the nylon options and the versatility in temp ranges. Now, a B-15/B-15A in End-Zone twill gives nylon a real run for the money in water repellence, a maintainable exterior, and slick looks, but B-15C's still win in low-end temp use.

The debate on the B-15C/D is purely subjective. I love both styles and all 3 colors, but there's something about that O. D. nylon with brown fur and brown leather trim tabs that just looks superb, though the sage green of the B-15D with that matching fur collar lends a fashion-like air to what was a utilitarian garment for work.

My vote is for a nylon B-15 of some sort for wearing regularly, and the B-15/B-15A for use that's not as regular. Also, while the B-15A is definitely limited in production, BR doesn't always offer the nylon B-15's and 2017 is a year they will; we've been living off of old stock for two seasons up to this fall.

Wow!
You see, now THAT was precisely the sort of answer I was wanting someone to tell me all week long as I've been poring over these jackets! And I was hoping that you could possibly steer me in and around the jackets as I know you know your kung-fu with vintage USAAF/USAF jackets - and boy, did you ever! Marvellous.
It also again illustrates how TFL is such a valuable resource for knowledge regarding finding hitherto difficult answers to particular questions that one just wouldn't get on the High Street!
Charles, my cup runneth over with your detailed response (and I appreciate that it must have taken time to compose - and with nary a spelling error or anything, so I appreciate the care with that too and that all takes time, I know!) and to answering each and every point I raised.

Firstly, thank you very much for the honest analysis of how I could expect the M43 fabric to wear. I really appreciate the honesty of it! I don't think it will put off most people here in future to hear how it wears over time as I know people like and desire that worn vintage look that any material (be it leather or fabric) develops with use and wear - I think it's just a preference thing, and ordinarily I do want my jackets to develop that, but just not in this instance and I'd like to try to stave that off for as long as possible, so this is a key factor for me with this particular purchase. It's a win for the B-15C/D nylon vote there.

Water repellancy is also a good factor to consider (one that I had not until you made mention of it) - especially, when I think about it around the freezing mark when sleet is an issue. So thank you for that! Again, that dense 3/1 nylon wins over the cotton twill - even the End Zone Twill due to the warmth factor. Very good to know.

The warmth factor, as you made mention in a previous reply, is also a prime factor that sways customers from one product to the next depending on their requirement/preference, and in this instance for me, it's a key factor too. Wearing my L2-A beneath a B-15 sounds like a very novel and formidable wind-chill defeating combo! And I know that I'll be stuck on a open-air subway/train platform somewhere at some point, so I know the nylon B-15C/D makes the most practical sense there too for me.

Finally, thank you for your opinion on the colours - it's subjective as you say, but important, and it's such a difficult choice and is very hard to fall on one side of the fence or the other as they're all so good and I like each one for different reasons.
But I know what you mean about that light OD green being classic and vintage and I think it's the safe choice as I had my Buzz L2 in the same as I felt that it suited me and the jacket always drew compliments for it, I know.
The blue is just so SAC (more than any other colour IMO) and it has that distinct appeal.
But you nailed it with your thought on the Sage Green of the B-15D; that it does strike a more modern look and perhaps that's why it appeals to me. It's interesting to me how it looks grey/green on your website - but on other sites the colour looks more green/grey - while some in Japan look distinctly bottle green (which I don't like at all!) - but those would be the discrepancies in batch shades that you spoke of earlier in the links I posted.
But when I think of my ELC B-2 caps (in seal and in redskin) that are always on my head in winter, I think they'd compliment the OD green more than the Sage Green.

Charles, I do believe you have settled this issue for me once and for all!
I'll be sending you a PM, Charles.
THANK YOU.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
B-2 caps are awesome with nylon; I love mixing the '40's & '50's. Or go for the M-51 Field Cap, which was omnipresent among fighter pilots in Korea and which BR will offer this fall (see image below of my friend, Lt. Dick Keener of the 335th FIS in 1952 at Kempo Air Base, Korea, and some other 335th pilots).

All of the nylon B-15's will offer about the same weight and warmth and feel. The N-3 series is, of course, much heavier in weight, as are the N-2's.

View attachment 75901

View attachment 75902

... and there's that great Sage Green of the B-15D jacket. Superb. Great vintage photo with the A2 and the L2-A as well in one frame!
Thanks!

HPA Rep

Vendor
Charles, I do believe you have settled this issue for me once and for all!
I'll be sending you a PM, Charles.

THANK YOU.

Thank YOU, Stand By, in the extreme! There must be few times indeed when I felt my efforts here on TFL were any more useful, understood, and appreciated. I try my utmost to maintain a balanced perspective and weigh all the pros and cons, and while I can only succeed at this some of the time (I hope it's the vast majority of the time), it seems I did succeed this time.

I'm truly delighted to help you! Thanks, buddy.

Stand By

One Too Many
TFL is all about old school values and you have those, Charles - and you have just made doing business a pleasure, Sir. TFL is all the better for you being here as you bring a veritable font of knowledge and passion, and your helpful advice is very much appreciated!

Following your great colour reference photos above, I have just come across some really nice photos of Marilyn Monroe in Korea wearing her blue B-15C plus reference photos of the original jacket and patch (and the simple b/w face study of her is stunning, I might add!) and it's perhaps better to see the complete page they're from, rather than cut and paste them. The B-15C jacket has been faithfully rendered for this kit too.
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2015/02/review-sang-eon-lee-sculpts-marilyn-in.html

Thanks again, Charles!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore