Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

By the time I reach Phoenix...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Hi guys,

I'm shaping up to take a bit of a trip to sunny Arizona middle next month - probably Phoenix, Tucson, Yuma, Tombstone (yes, yes, we will be tourists). Quick question regarding any good vintage/denim shops, and such like? All tips greatly appreciated! Also need pointers for bars, diners, good food places, but that's a side issue.

Cheers in advance!

...She'll be risin'...

Have a great trip Craig. I only know a but about Pecos, NM and Santa Fe. Sedona AZ is likewise one of my favorite places down there. You can't go wrong - good time of year (hopefully) and sometimes it's just good to go - plans be damned!

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Flagstaff, Williams (gateway to the Grand Canyon), Prescott, Moab Utah (gateway to Arches National Park), and Durango Colorado are fantastic places. It's all good! Maybe stay away from Lawless Denim if you are in Phoenix. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Absolutely! We're stoked about getting out there just as we lose the light - seriously, we went to see a telly show tonight, went in light at 6pm came out an hour-and-a-half later, pitch-black and freezing. Is Lawless still open - I might go and put a brick through their window on everyone's behalf :D...

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm looking at 30C for mid-October. Jings, that's beyond high summer for Scotland. Seriously, that sort of temperature makes it into the newspapers! Sun tan oil ahoy! I seem to remember when I was there six years ago, it was 22-24C or around that. It was a lovely, easy temperature. I can tell you now that touching down a week or so later is going to be one hell of shock to our system!:eeek:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Had to Google that one, but, yeah, that would've been cool. As it is, Arizona's desert-scapes are pretty martian-like for us. Especially when you get up to Lake Powell etc. That place is just weird.

Otter

One Too Many
I have been thorough Williams, nice place, you can catch a train from there to the rim of the canyon. The hotel in the National Park visitor center has rooms which are little cabins right on the edge of the canyon, amazing views.

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
Can't help with the vintage clothes but I'd highly recommend N. Scottsdale Road & 1st St. area. not far from the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. Some great family Mexican restaurants like Los Olivos Mexican Patio, also top shelf art galleries if you like $$$$ Western Art. Native American jewelry and regular old tourist novelties including new western clothing like Rockmount.

If you like hot rod culture i always stop at SoCal Az. in Phoenix and pick up a t-shirt or three. You can probably go online and see all their selections at the original SoCal California website that Az. also carries.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
I was at a conference in Tempe, AZ one year and we did a jeep ride out into the desert one late afternoon, returning after dusk - just sensational. I highly recommend that if you are able to swing it. Just make sure you have room on your camera's memory card and a fully-charged battery. The landscape is stunning and the moon will never look better.
Have a good time.

breezer

Practically Family
Plenty of vintage shops on Tucson's 4th Avenue - also Millers is a fantastic army surplus store nearby. In terms of bars you gotta visit Hotel Congress - I'll pm you with some more Tucson info…..

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You'll absolutely have to rent a Mustang (the automotive kind) and get yourselves some hats. Take a look at Sunbody Hats (out of Texas). They're great hats and are very reasonable. Also very sturdy. Oh, and throw another brick for me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Plenty of vintage shops on Tucson's 4th Avenue - also Millers is a fantastic army surplus store nearby. In terms of bars you gotta visit Hotel Congress - I'll pm you with some more Tucson info…..

Fantastic, thanks!

You'll absolutely have to rent a Mustang (the automotive kind) and get yourselves some hats. Take a look at Sunbody Hats (out of Texas). They're great hats and are very reasonable. Also very sturdy. Oh, and throw another brick for me.

Ha! A nice idea *goes off and checks car rentals* I think a Derby would be rather fetching...

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I just noticed the temperatures in Tucson are running ~10 degrees cooler than in Phoenix even though Tucson is just over 100 miles south of Phoenix.

I wager my next paycheck (or is it last?) that nobody from the UK will ever be buying anything from that shop ^^^
It's too bad, but I can barely get my friends here to understand my affinity for such things :rofl:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Prescott is a nice destination. As I recall, it is located on a high plateau and just noticed the temps are at least 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix right now, dipping into the mid 50's at night. Years ago I remember leaving Prescott, reaching the edge of the plateau, looking down onto the desert floor at Wickenburg with the heat waves rising in the distance, and thought I was looking at a glimpse of hell on earth. :alien:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner