Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal w/Collar

dannyk

One Too Many
Man this one hurts. This has been the jewel in my collection. I’ve been saying I’m really committed to wearing the ones I pick up and actually wear. This one I just don’t wear as much. It deserves a home where it gets worn or gets displayed properly. This is one of the epitome top of the top Cals from this era that shows why they are so beloved. I got this one from another TFL member as part of a big trade. They can vouch for it should they choose to do so.

Knowing the Cals from this era and the info coming from a long time very trusted TFL member have to assume this is horse but no label so I can’t say 100%. Not only is this leather perfect, all the zippers work, and the liner is immaculate. The collar is nearly grey and it’s hard to say if it was always a grey/brown or has faded over the years from a brown. In any case the color it is now makes it truly unique. The leather has tons of patina and wear but not tears, holes or serious cracking. The stitching has one or two lose threads but intact and not stretched to hell. As I’m writing this I realize I forgot to take a picture of the inside of the sleeves but does have the “fur” trim in a reddish brown and I’ll add a picture of that as soon as I’m done posting.

measurements included in pictures as well. And some people measure differently or want things stretched out more, if you want more pictures or more measurements or have questions just let me know. I’ll always be happy to add some. Anyway measurements approximate and in inches.

PTP-21
Back-22
Sleeves measured around the bend-26
Shoulders-18
Hem-17
As you can see chest to waist drop a bit as was the style back then.

As this is a jewel and something special I’m asking 450(US) but since it’s Christmas and all, I’ll pay shipping on this one. Don’t ask for overnight or something crazy though haha.

so without further adieu here’s the jacket.
612C3927-5B8D-42FA-8E8A-2AE94F0F7998.jpeg
F8A7A8DB-50EC-464F-ADD0-2E8259CCC5AF.jpeg
I
17332652-CA80-4514-B9A3-8FD48BA7C458.jpeg
1262B32A-2253-42A0-880E-4A0BFE7BD07A.jpeg
0A88D6E5-501F-4E38-98F1-5F909B77DC13.jpeg
F0C8315B-1643-49F1-BA25-4A77F39DE6FA.jpeg
30B490C3-8C2B-4562-85F7-4F98DFEB6B21.jpeg
3E71E0B0-56E2-4669-B1EA-C157E68299D6.jpeg
3CEA0DE3-E046-4488-AA0D-10F8B3C5254A.jpeg

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Tempting! Might be on the small side for me though. Is the collar detachable? Can you post a pic without a collar?

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Damn that’s nice. Love those spread collars on Cals. I even went in to double check my notes with jacket measurements. Unfortunately it is too small for me, especially at the hem. GLWS

dannyk

One Too Many
Damn that’s nice. Love those spread collars on Cals. I even went in to double check my notes with jacket measurements. Unfortunately it is too small for me, especially at the hem. GLWS
No worries. Someone will take it and be very happy.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
awesome jacket. i bought one of John's Cals and should be arriving today. But this is beautiful especially with the collar. Anyone know if the collar sizes are universal? I want to add one to the one I just bought. I sent a note to Cal yesterday, but not sure if they're around with the lock down orders in Los Angeles again.

Also what's the color on this one? Looks like a really dark brown? But you never know, sometimes black shows up as dark brown too.

dannyk

One Too Many
awesome jacket. i bought one of John's Cals and should be arriving today. But this is beautiful especially with the collar. Anyone know if the collar sizes are universal? I want to add one to the one I just bought. I sent a note to Cal yesterday, but not sure if they're around with the lock down orders in Los Angeles again.

Also what's the color on this one? Looks like a really dark brown? But you never know, sometimes black shows up as dark brown too.
As far as I can tell jacket is black, in some lighting it appears to be a very dark brown, but if put next to something that’s clearly a brown you can tell it’s black in comparison. I don’t know about collars. And this one is super unique looking. Since it’s 60 give or take some years old I don’t know if the collar was brown and with sun and age faded to this color, or was made this color. But in its current state it’s a crazy grey/brown like I’ve never seen. As others have said it’s a beauty. That’s not me hyping it up for a sale either haha. It’s just a really cool jacket and collar that you don’t really see a lot. Got lucky with this one and got it in a bunch of trades back and forth with a member here. I actually gave them first dibs back but they too are downsizing and looking to actually wear their collection. Can’t do that with 20 jackets.

dannyk

One Too Many

Oh and good luck with finding a collar. Hope they are around to get back to you!

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I got my Cal from John this morning and straight up, I'd sell all my other jackets and just keep this one if I had no choice. I wish it was just a tad bit bigger because it's going to be Tshirt only and probably unzipped, but the design is unreal. Stylish, comfortable, sleek. Love, love, love it. Mine is a cross zip, but assuming similar build quality and pattern making, I'd be happy nothing else. Just need to get a mutton collar and I'll be happier than ever. Nice way to end this crap year for sure.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Beautiful jacket. Sorry but I’ve got a bunch of questions, if I may:
Any pictures of the sleeve measurement?
No side laces I presume from pics, so waist is not adjustable?
Weight of jacket?
How bad is the minor cracking to the leather you mention? Surface only? Any pics of worst bits/extent of it? Leather otherwise supple? No bad smells?
No cal label? (No badge holder so a civilian jacket I presume, so surprised no cal label - stitch marks where it was? Or evidence a re-line done sometime?)
If it’s not too impertinent, what’s your height/build and any fit pics zipped and unzipped to help me consider likely fit on me...
I’m going to check my measurements, but in meantime grateful for answers to above if you’d be so kind. Speaking of kind, does your generosity on free postage extend to free postage to EU?

Thanks!

dannyk

One Too Many
50020842-F750-437E-A057-CAC107976EED.jpeg
AEA0E8DA-10EB-416D-8362-2DA9C97E28C9.jpeg
1A41F1EE-6040-47E9-AB66-9C460DD240EE.jpeg
Beautiful jacket. Sorry but I’ve got a bunch of questions, if I may:
Any pictures of the sleeve measurement?
No side laces I presume from pics, so waist is not adjustable?
Weight of jacket?
How bad is the minor cracking to the leather you mention? Surface only? Any pics of worst bits/extent of it? Leather otherwise supple? No bad smells?
No cal label? (No badge holder so a civilian jacket I presume, so surprised no cal label - stitch marks where it was? Or evidence a re-line done sometime?)
If it’s not too impertinent, what’s your height/build and any fit pics zipped and unzipped to help me consider likely fit on me...
I’m going to check my measurements, but in meantime grateful for answers to above if you’d be so kind. Speaking of kind, does your generosity on free postage extend to free postage to EU?

Thanks!

Theres no laces. No badge marks or holes. I don’t usually get requests for sleeve measurement pics but I’ll add some. No idea on its weight I don’t have a scale sensitive enough to measure that. No smells, other than faint old jacket smell, but no must or smoke. No label but that’s no uncommon for cals of this era. They did plenty of custom work and made jackets for other sellers with and without labels. When you add up the design, straight zip, the waist/hem, the inside pocket design, the look of the leather, the spread collar, and put everything together it’s definitely a cal. I’m 5’7 and 135. I don’t have fit pics, those will have to wait if you really want them. And I said no holes or tears or anything. It has some definite wear on the shoulders and sleeves but it’s not cracking or flaking off and there’s no texture or damage to the jacket. Just good ole wear on it. It’s really a perfect jacket and as everyone has been saying a beauty of calling me crazy like @JMax
haha. I just don’t wear it. Hence it needs to be worn or put up on display somewhere someone has that ability. So off it goes hopefully to a good home.edit- the “fur” trim in the sleeves is also a sign of a cal

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Oh and yeah I would consider paying shipping to just about anywhere as a Christmas gift to my TFL friends and family. If for some reason it’s insane I hope it wouldn’t be bad manners to try the cheapest option or work out a few extra bucks. But most places I’ve shipped to haven’t been that crazy and I’m in a giving mood today haha.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Oh man, don't do this to me. I always wanted a vintage Cal but never found one which fits me or the condition was just bad.....this would be the nuts for me as the condition is perfect and it would perfectly fit me (exactly my size!!)!!! Crazy, how the hell is this possible to find 3 "dream jackets" in just one and a half weeks (FW Journeyman and RMC B-3 -> boths from UK)! Would shipping to Germany be also included and are you a brother of Lebowski? ;) Just kidding of course. But what about shipping?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Oh man, don't do this to me. I always wanted a vintage Cal but never found one which fits me or the condition was just bad.....this would be the nuts for me as the condition is perfect and it would perfectly fit me (exactly my size!!)!!! Crazy, how the hell is this possible to find 3 "dream jackets" in just one and a half weeks (FW Journeyman and RMC B-3 -> boths from UK)! Would shipping to Germany be also included and are you a brother of Lebowski? ;) Just kidding of course. But what about shipping?
It has your name on it :)

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for the rapid and comprehensive reply (and decency on shipping costs!).

I’m 5’ 9” and 150 - 155lbs and normally take a 38” so this might potentially work. Length (as with most vintage bike jackets) probably the main issue, plus the narrow waist on this one. I have a few (by TFL standards! 20 or so...) jackets so I’ll see what I have that’s closest to these measurements to get an idea if it could work for me.
Fit pics would be a great help if you can!

Thanks again for all the helpful answers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran