Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cal w/Collar

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Cal most likely a custom bespoke tailor-built with the trim helm measurement and no side lace adjusters. Do you see any indication that belt loops were removed or was the jacket made without belt loops. I am asking generally the jacket is too small for me and I have three Star Gloves of similar design and construction. The fur collar really sets the jacket

dannyk

One Too Many
Nice Cal most likely a custom bespoke tailor-built with the trim helm measurement and no side lace adjusters. Do you see any indication that belt loops were removed or was the jacket made without belt loops. I am asking generally the jacket is too small for me and I have three Star Gloves of similar design and construction. The fur collar really sets the jacket
I see no signs of removed belt. Like you said probably a custom build or made for some specific seller. The collar on this is quite incredible and makes it all work in my opinion. It’s nice without it, it’s perfect with it really.

dannyk

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket. Sorry but I’ve got a bunch of questions, if I may:
Any pictures of the sleeve measurement?
No side laces I presume from pics, so waist is not adjustable?
Weight of jacket?
How bad is the minor cracking to the leather you mention? Surface only? Any pics of worst bits/extent of it? Leather otherwise supple? No bad smells?
No cal label? (No badge holder so a civilian jacket I presume, so surprised no cal label - stitch marks where it was? Or evidence a re-line done sometime?)
If it’s not too impertinent, what’s your height/build and any fit pics zipped and unzipped to help me consider likely fit on me...
I’m going to check my measurements, but in meantime grateful for answers to above if you’d be so kind. Speaking of kind, does your generosity on free postage extend to free postage to EU?

Thanks!
Also didn’t forget fit pics. I’m at work, fiancé is at work. When were both home tonight I’ll have her grab some and post them.

dannyk

One Too Many
A41E3136-378E-4A64-B4FE-228232E4139C.jpeg
25386761-0570-49BF-B900-B7F56C468302.jpeg
DA4F77F3-9BF0-41A6-88AF-445A305806C1.jpeg
433C5A0C-6FBE-4D83-9547-FEC3DE2F7FA8.jpeg
A1DA9AE9-0DA6-4587-B81A-86D965ED3420.jpeg

@yellowfever and any others interested some fit pics. I’m 5’7 ish and 135ish. As you can see fits me great! Only issue is the sleeve length. They are a touch too long for me. But great riding jacket that would stop at belt length or just above. Trim in the waist as riding jackets should be. Though not restrictive and does have some stretch/give. Could add another 10-15lbs in there if needed ha. And sleeve length actually while not great for looking cool stationary also great for riding as that touch too long is what you need when your arms are extended on the handlebars. If anyone wants anymore photos or angles feel free to ask.

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Many thanks for the prompt follow up with the fit pics. Jacket looks great (less sure about the pants, though certainly in season ;) ).

OK I’ve done an audit on my existing jacket measurements. My current shortest jacket is 23.75” down centre back from bottom collar. Normally my ideal is around 25” including for my riding jackets which typically are short at the front but have a slightly dipped tail for good fit/coverage when in riding ‘stance’. So 22” looks pretty marginal.

The 17” non adjustable waist is also looking tight. 18” is the smallest non adjustable waist on my current jackets, albeit on a slightly longer jacket so waist sits a bit lower at a wider point on my body. Both my riding jackets are set at 18” waist (one is adjustable) as you want them snug as you say... so even though this cal will sit a bit higher (where I actually am a tad skinnier) waist looks challenging...

Rest of the measurements inc sleeves look perfect for me (as does the jacket overall). I’d only wear the jacket casually, as I only ride in armoured jackets these days. But I’d still want to be able to zip it up and manage more than a t shirt on colder days when enjoying that fur collar!

At the (fair) price you’re selling it at, I just can’t justify taking a punt in it, as although my heart is trying hard to persuade myself it will work, my head is pointing out it very probably won’t.

So afraid I’ll have to pass and continue on my search for a cal...

Sorry this is the longest “no thanks” in history, but as you were kind enough to so promptly and thoroughly answer all my questions I wanted you to know I’d considered it seriously.

Good luck with the sale, I hope it finds a good home with a lucky owner it will work for. Or keep it - it looks great on you!

Cheers

yellowfever

dannyk

One Too Many
Many thanks for the prompt follow up with the fit pics. Jacket looks great (less sure about the pants, though certainly in season ;) ).

OK I’ve done an audit on my existing jacket measurements. My current shortest jacket is 23.75” down centre back from bottom collar. Normally my ideal is around 25” including for my riding jackets which typically are short at the front but have a slightly dipped tail for good fit/coverage when in riding ‘stance’. So 22” looks pretty marginal.

The 17” non adjustable waist is also looking tight. 18” is the smallest non adjustable waist on my current jackets, albeit on a slightly longer jacket so waist sits a bit lower at a wider point on my body. Both my riding jackets are set at 18” waist (one is adjustable) as you want them snug as you say... so even though this cal will sit a bit higher (where I actually am a tad skinnier) waist looks challenging...

Rest of the measurements inc sleeves look perfect for me (as does the jacket overall). I’d only wear the jacket casually, as I only ride in armoured jackets these days. But I’d still want to be able to zip it up and manage more than a t shirt on colder days when enjoying that fur collar!

At the (fair) price you’re selling it at, I just can’t justify taking a punt in it, as although my heart is trying hard to persuade myself it will work, my head is pointing out it very probably won’t.

So afraid I’ll have to pass and continue on my search for a cal...

Sorry this is the longest “no thanks” in history, but as you were kind enough to so promptly and thoroughly answer all my questions I wanted you to know I’d considered it seriously.

Good luck with the sale, I hope it finds a good home with a lucky owner it will work for. Or keep it - it looks great on you!

Cheers

yellowfever
That’s all fair. To be completely honest though I would not worry about the waist. While 17 sounds right and non-adjustable worrisome I can definitely wear a hoodie under this. I just didn’t feel like getting dressed up for the photos and was in my bumming around the house clothes ha. It has “give” to it. The leather is super nice but it’s broken in and not Lost Worlds level insanely thick. You could get away with more than a t shirt. Not saying some super thick sweater or tons of layering, but it’s not as bad as it sounds.

the back length though yeah not much can be done about that. I believe this was most likely a custom build for someone who rode. There’s two ways of making a true biker jacket. Very long coats that you saw military and police cops wear for a long time in the past to shield their legs. Or very short jackets. If you see photos from the 40s-70s of bikers almost all jackets stopped at their belt or just above it. That way it didn’t bunch up, it didn’t hang down and scratch the tank, it didn’t allow wind inside. So if you’re not a rider or as short as me haha your only option would be to wear high waisted pants.

So no worries man I get it. Don’t need to throw money around on things you’ll regret or won’t wear. Hell that’s why I’m selling this beaut. It’s a great freaking jacket but I don’t wear it enough to justify it sitting around. I’ve just sold 3-4 pairs of boots and 3-4 jackets and have two more sitting here on TFL Classifieds. I really want to wear my jackets and get use and justify the costs and admiration I put into them. If you change your mind and it’s still available let me know. Otherwise TFL this is still here come help me have some extra Christmas spending money and I’ll return the favor to you and cover shipping!

yellowfever

One of the Regulars
Thanks all makes sense. I do ride but only use more modern armoured jackets for that purpose, so this jacket needs to work as a casual jacket. I’m fine with wearing short jackets casually in this style - that’s how they’re meant to be as you say. But obviously not to the extent they don’t at least reach the top of my trouser belt line, crop tops not a good look for guys! I think the length is marginal for me on this one, waist the same. At 17.5”, given the higher point were the waist sits, it might just snugly work I think... but 17” probably too tight so I regretfully have to pass... anyway, thanks for all the info.

In the unlikely event no one is interested/you don’t decide you’d rather keep it, then I could be interested in a gamble, but probably only worth the risk for me at a price that would frankly be verging on insulting to both you and this lovely jacket...

GLWS.

dannyk

One Too Many
Thanks all makes sense. I do ride but only use more modern armoured jackets for that purpose, so this jacket needs to work as a casual jacket. I’m fine with wearing short jackets casually in this style - that’s how they’re meant to be as you say. But obviously not to the extent they don’t at least reach the top of my trouser belt line, crop tops not a good look for guys! I think the length is marginal for me on this one, waist the same. At 17.5”, given the higher point were the waist sits, it might just snugly work I think... but 17” probably too tight so I regretfully have to pass... anyway, thanks for all the info.

In the unlikely event no one is interested/you don’t decide you’d rather keep it, then I could be interested in a gamble, but probably only worth the risk for me at a price that would frankly be verging on insulting to both you and this lovely jacket...

GLWS.
Makes sense. No complaints. And hey all your questions provided a ton of info here now for others to see.

dannyk

One Too Many
Well, I can’t give this one away because I have to much into it. But since we had a member here with an awesome Christmas gift free to a good home. I said I would cover shipping I’ll also knock 25 bucks off and do it for 425 and shipping on me. That’s a start for Christmas generosity.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
I reread this and decided 420 is better. Not because 420 haha. But when asking this price what is 5 extra dollars to me...but 5 dollars off might be big for a purchaser. So 420 it is.

dannyk

One Too Many
Let’s knock another 5 dollars off, feeling the Christmas spirit. So now it’s at 415.

dannyk

One Too Many
I know this one is a harder one to move based on its shorter length. This fits guys my size or those who want a truly vintage fit. I’ll give it another week or two on TFL, and if it doesn’t go probably put it on eBay or grailed for 450 where I know it will sell; especially to the Japanese market. But I hate eBay and grailed! Ha. I love you guys and to keep the spirit of Christmas going here like it has been let’s take another 5 off and say 410 now! 410!

dannyk

One Too Many
So here’s where I’m at now. I’ll do 400 and if you live outside the US and are worried about shipping I will split shipping costs with you!

Also opening this up to trades. I’m normally around a 36 in most makers and primarily into classic cross-zip and perfecto style designs. Also I just sold off all my boots and looking to replace one or two of them. Normally an 8US in boots. Looking for Truman Waxed Flesh, Red Wing Blacksmith in Black Prairie to replace the ones that didn’t fit me. ATF Type 3 Service Boots....don’t know all the model names but just got turned onto William Lennon Boots some there I like...and some more expensive things that could be part trade part payment if anyone has any MyG/Kreosote Nail Shanks, MyG/Kreosote Black Maria or S&S Wesco Axe Breakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran