Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californians Please check in!

big kahuna

Familiar Face
I hail from beautiful Newark, the hub of the West...

..we always joke that all roads lead to Rome, but all roads lead from Newark.:p However, for a bedroom community, it's clean, plentiful neighborhood parks, good urban planning.

The downside is other than some good ethnic restaurants in Newark and Fremont, there are no nightclubs or high end locales. The plus side is that we are a relatively short drive from SF, Oakland, Palo Alto, the wine country, beachs, redwoods, Santa Cruz, Monterey, etc. etc.

Thin Man

New in Town
J, my apologies. Fremont is a fine place to live. We do most of our daily living there, and we like it a lot. Quite, relatively safe, etc., but if you gotta have a fine art museum or have some custom shirts made, San Francisco is the only place to be in the SF Bay Area.

Thin Man

Thin Man said:
J, my apologies. Fremont is a fine place to live. We do most of our daily living there, and we like it a lot. Quite, relatively safe, etc., but if you gotta have a fine art museum or have some custom shirts made, San Francisco is the only place to be in the SF Bay Area.

Thin Man

Actually I don't live in Fremont so really no offense taken. I just wondered what you meant by culture. I suppose if you mean the arts and crossant crowd then you probably want to go across the bay. I never go to such things so it never hits my radar.
Custom made anything is just as easy to get made on this side of the bay though---and it costs less.[huh] You just have to know where to go.

Regards,

J

Thin Man

New in Town
Custom made anything is just as easy to get made on this side of the bay though---and it costs less. You just have to know where to go.

J, tell me more about where to have custom clothing made in the East Bay. My tall aspect ratio dictates custom shirts, slacks and suits if I want a good fit. I used to be able have this done in San Jose, but the tailors I once used moved to SF or went out of business. If you know a good local tailor I'd love to hear about it.

Ryan

Familiar Face
Did I see a FL from Sacramento?

Myself, I say Sacramento because people know where that is but really in Newcastle CA. About 30 minutes NE of Sacramento off I80. The home of Balboa Junction.

dostacos

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
La Puente, CA. Just a hop, skip and too-close-for-a-jump from John in Covina. I was born here, but I lived in West Covina for ten years. Now I'm back.

Lee
and I am just down the freeway from you in Diamond Bar:)

Fast

Familiar Face
CA boy

Santa Monica here. Born and raised in Vallejo. Lived in The City for 6 lovely years (SFSU grad). Van Nuys, Burbank, then 14 years in Bay City (SM for the non-chandler readers).

San Francisco was the best. Santa Monica is a strong, but solid, second.

I remember riding my french racing bike from the richmond district to work at the san francisco review of books, through the broadway tunnel at 40 mph in 1980. Priceless.

Smyat

One of the Regulars
Ryan said:
Myself, I say Sacramento because people know where that is but really in Newcastle CA. About 30 minutes NE of Sacramento off I80. The home of Balboa Junction.
Howdy, citymate. I'm actually in Citrus Heights, but know Newcastle pretty well.

Balboa Junction... wasn't he a boxer?

Ryan

Familiar Face
Boxer, no but would make a cool name.

Hey Smyat,

The monthly Balboa dance at the Portuguese hall. Balboa is swing dance from Newport Beach from 30-40's. Swing dance's ares mostly Linday style or Jitter/East coast so it's neat to see a hall pack with nothing but Balboa.

60Years2Late

New in Town
Checking in from Pendleton

Though originally from Alabama, and currently calling "Back Home" Tennessee, I do live in the state of California. I'm stationed down in Pendleton right now, so if any body wants to get together down here, drop me a line and let me know. That's near Oceanside for those that don't know. As far as distance, I'll drive as far north as San Fran, but only on a long weekend. San Fran is a beautiful city, by the way. Absolutely gorgeous. Then again, being as southern as myself, I don't really have that much to compare it to.

Brandon

dashiell

One of the Regulars
Good day!

I'm located in Sherman Oaks; I just moved to the San Fernando Valley. I used to live in the thick of things in downtown Los Angeles proper, but there's far too much construction and I'm old enough to enjoy peace and quiet. I love my new neighborhood thus far!

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
North Hollywood. Oh, wait! They changed that - now, Toluca Lake adjacent! Hold on, strike that! West Toluca Lake. Nope, changed again! Toluca Woods! That's it! Uh, what? Toluca Bank? That doesn't sound rig... They changed it, again? NoHoArts district! That's kinda' nice. I can live with...

Oh.

Back to North Hollywood.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
The Port of Los Angeles in San Pedro, If anyone remembers a newspaper called the newspilot , I lease and live in that 100 year old Building on 7th st.

I bounce back n forth the last 6 months to Seattle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80