Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californians Please check in!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
5th Generation Californian here.

My folks have been in Northern California Sense the late 1860's. San Francisco area mostly; Napa, San Rafael, Oakland, San Francisco.

ShesSoVaVaVoom

One of the Regulars
Forgotten Man said:
I've known Patty for a wile... before she was on Myrtle! When she had the little shop on Foothill! They're always so nice to me, every time I go in, they always give me a discount on most things I find!

=R

oh they're great about that, they're such a friendly family, her son and daughter were friends with one of my older brothers, so when I go in it's almost a mini reunion. I don't recall her shop on Foothill, but I do remember when she got the Myrtle shop, and the tall ladder I sat atop painting the railing on the upstairs area, never again lol.

Lonn

Familiar Face
Traveling shoes

Currently in California. Escaping the rain in Seattle. Heading south, slow.
Just came from Yosemite. Now in Petaluma. Once around the Bay the next two weeks then...Arizona?

Egerland

New in Town
I live in Downey, kind of like being in exile...

About San Francisco, I was there last weekend and had a great time (dinners at Schroeders and Big Four). The streets seemed cleaner than LA, the bums less aggressive.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Hmmmm.... I never posted here! :eusa_doh:

I was born and raised in San Francisco (3rd generation) and now live in the East Bay city of Danville.

Imahomer

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Nice to see you are still around. Us old families from the area are getting few and far between nowadays. ;) :D

But we are around. I often run into people who were raised in the city. It's very cool to talk to them and exchange information/stories.

"Cleaner and less aggressive?! What part of LA are you from? Its pretty bad in San Franfreako."

Come on.... L.A. is just like the city.... good and bad areas. The bums in the city are basically downtown, which is why they are always seen by the tourists.

Imahomer said:
But we are around. I often run into people who were raised in the city. It's very cool to talk to them and exchange information/stories.

"Cleaner and less aggressive?! What part of LA are you from? Its pretty bad in San Franfreako."

Come on.... L.A. is just like the city.... good and bad areas. The bums in the city are basically downtown, which is why they are always seen by the tourists.

I didn't mean raised in the city. I meant native to California for a few generations in general. :D

I must have missed the really bad parts of LA I guess. I seem to never miss them when I go across the bay. :eusa_doh: :rolleyes: :p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic: I have certainly never seen bums be more aggressive in normal areas of LA (i.e. not Skid Row) than in normal areas of SF and Berkeley. In fact, the bums in SF and Berkeley are the most aggressive I've seen in the USA (again, aside from places like Skid Row in LA). There is a reason why restaurants in the Bay Area do not boast outdoor seating out on the sidewalk like Europe has. It's because bums would come up to the patrons WHILE THE PATRONS WERE EATING and bother them, ask for money, try to sell them their horrid poetry newspapers, etc. They have no shame around here.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Doran said:
:eek:fftopic: I have certainly never seen bums be more aggressive in normal areas of LA (i.e. not Skid Row) than in normal areas of SF and Berkeley. In fact, the bums in SF and Berkeley are the most aggressive I've seen in the USA (again, aside from places like Skid Row in LA). There is a reason why restaurants in the Bay Area do not boast outdoor seating out on the sidewalk like Europe has. It's because bums would come up to the patrons WHILE THE PATRONS WERE EATING and bother them, ask for money, try to sell them their horrid poetry newspapers, etc. They have no shame around here.

LOL... Well, I guess it all depends on your point of view and what you're used to. I can't ever recall seeing a bum in a "normal" area of San Francisco.

I really don't think S.F. has any type of lock on bums, nor do they have bums that are more aggresive than any others I've seen in cities like L.A., Chicago, New York, Cleveland, etc..

They certainly don't have as much outside seating in S.F. as other places I've been, but then again I had to tell a bum to take a hike when I was eating at an outdoor cafe in Paris.

Doran said:

Ok, now that you add Berkeley, that 's a different story. ;) :p
Remember the bum that had the nerve to berate us for smoking outside a restaurant and then even worse, continued on to ask us for money afterward! :eek: :rage: Yeah right guy, I really feel in the mood to give you a buck now. :rage:
If you had outdoor eating around the Bay Area they would not only ask for money. They would ask for food off your plate! That's why they don't have seating out on the sidewalks. Geez, don't get me started. ;) :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo