Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Californians Please check in!

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Northern Californians unite

There seem to be a lot of Southern Californians that would be cool to meet but that's a long way from me.
I'm glad to see some bay area folks and Jessica is even from my own county! Very cool.
We should try have a together in Marin or San Francisco.
What should we do? A Maltese falcon tour in The City, perhaps?

The Wolf

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, what's a few hours in the car?

Wolf, there are lot more members here in So Cal then No Cal.;)

You have a few good members up north like James Powers, Andy K and Wingnut.

Nevertheless, you should try and make it out to the LA Air Raid event next month (look in events for more details) and hang out with us Southerners. It would be worth the trip!

=WR=

A bay area event. Not a bad idea. I dunno about Marin though. I also avoid the city like the plague that it is. Santa Rosa actually sounds pretty good when the weather gets a bit better. I can stop by Vintage Gardens while I am up there. The yard could always use a few new vintage rose bushes and trees. ;)
The area also looks like it has a few decent antique and vintage shops around last time I looked. Restaurants abound and wine country is close too. You have it made right there. :cheers1: Much better than in Southern Cal. :D [angel]

Regards to all,

J

Bebop

Practically Family
I can get into it if it is in Santa Rosa, San Francisco, Marin, San Jose but I avoid San Leandro and surrounding area like the smelly armpit that it is.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Wild Root, You had to remind me about the majority of swell Loungers down there as opposed to up here, as my grandaddy used to say "Dog, that's cold!". But seriously, if I made it down south I would definately contact you guys.

jamespowers brings up an interesting idea: there are a lot of good antique shops in Sonoma County especially on Hwy 16 towards Sebastopol.

When I considered doing a location tour of "Shadow of a Doubt" I figured we could end it the antique shops and vintage clothes shop at railroad square.
Also of Golden Age history in Santa Rosa is the Luther Burbank gardens across from the Church of One Tree that was mentioned in Ripley's Believe It or Not.

Basically, any excuse to get together it reet with me.

With respect to all,
The Wolf

P.S. If we go to antique stores, please don't say we are "antiquing". I hate it when nouns are verbed.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
San Francisco?

Please educate me about the beauty of the San Francisco Bay Area? In the 1940's and 1950's, San Francisco and Oakland were Triple A cities; men dressed in suits and fedora's, women wore dresses and white gloves to go shopping in Union Square and Broadway in Oakland. I was there in October and smog hovered over all the hills that border the East Bay and Peninsula, (dead, barren denuded) , the air was a disgusting brown, the bay water was like a mudslide, the streets of San Francisco and Oakland were covered in cracks, potholes, filth and vagrants, the freeways were crumbling, the offramps were strewn in garbage, weeds and overgrown vegetation, "medicinal marijuana" shops were growing faster than Humboldt County grown. Is the place run by morons? What are the tax dollars paying? To describe it as an armpit is an understatement. A once elegant City is a mess. If you folks out there have an event, choose Hearst Castle, Pismo Beach or Carmel.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Ah, San Francisco

If Paris is the city of lights then San Francisco is surely the city of easy sin. The opium dens were well hidden yet well known to he wants to kick a gong. Sailors being "shanghaied" on these foggy docks. Here it is 1946 and I feel like not much has changed. The fog still enshrouds the crime in dark alleys. Sally Rand was just arrested for indecency.
This is a place where a Continental Op or down at his heels gumshoe could ply their trade. Step right up, plenty of crime for everyone. A few years again an island was made in her waters for a world exposition. The glorious and the gaudy rubbed elbows.
I left New York because it was growing too tall, getting too crowded but leaving room for the sins. The Bowery wasn't safe for the adults and the streets weren't safe for the kids. What's wrong with the world when kids can't play in the street without worrying about being hit by an automobile? Well, I head west and problems land in the city by the bay as well.
I figure I should head north. Maybe I could raise chickens in Petaluma. Santa Rosa might be nice. I'll just stretch out under an apple tree and know that the City can't reach me.

Lost and confused,
The Wolf

Jessica

One of the Regulars
*giggles* I'm sure I'm perfectly safe...I bet you two have fun with your "restraints". Kiss Kiss

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo