Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Calling all vegetarians !!!

KAT

A-List Customer
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i just tried it last week and ewww sorry no chocolate beer for kathy (nooo not everything made of chocolate is something for kathy)[huh] ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
KAT said:
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa i just tried it last week and ewww sorry no chocolate beer for kathy (nooo not everything made of chocolate is something for kathy)[huh] ;)

:eek: No, you're kidding!!! lol lol lol lol Man, I don't know you any more hahaha.

=WR=

KAT

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
:eek: No, you're kidding!!! lol lol lol lol Man, I don't know you any more hahaha.

=WR=

..goooo figure....:D

kathy (taking off her itchy yummy chocolate band aids from her bruiser butt)

magneto

Practically Family
Wild Root said:
Sorry, no beer for me thanks, I be a Mormon boy... yeah, yeah, yeah, I know whatever. :rolleyes:
;)
=WR=

"whatever"? What are ya, embarrassed? ;) (One of my friends has a tolerable grasp of several Indian dialects after doing his teenage-era mission in Central America. Impossible to be a vegetarian under such circumstances, I would imagine.)

ladyk

Familiar Face
I've been a vegetarian since I was 7, (20 years and counting) when my mum finally caved in and let me. As a baby in my high chair I used to spit out meat saying it was dirty so I guess I was born veggie.

I'm not one to force my choices on other people though and I will cook meat for my housemate, but only if it is organic. I try to stick to only organic and seasonal local food in the house generally as it is just a healthier way to eat for me and the world. I took a look at my fridge a couple of years ago and all the labels on my veg said they were coming from Africa, Australia, America... all the way to London. It was just an import too far for this gal. So the most sensible thing seamed to be go back to the way my Nana cooked, and blimey does it taste better. And reminds me that there is greenery beyond the big smoke!

Wxx

Naama

Practically Family
I'm also vegetarian, since ages (don't really know since when). And I'm still healthy, even though, people always try to tell me how bad it is to be vegetarian....

Naama

Wild Root

Gone Home
magneto said:
"whatever"? What are ya, embarrassed? ;) (One of my friends has a tolerable grasp of several Indian dialects after doing his teenage-era mission in Central America. Impossible to be a vegetarian under such circumstances, I would imagine.)

No, I’m not embarrassed; just get wise cracks from most that's all. Some don't believe in meat but, I believe that alcohol is far more harmful to the overall human health then eating meat is. I don't touch the stuff not only because of my religious obligations; I just don't believe in putting poison in such a fragile delicate balanced system that our bodies are. Yes, most enjoy a drink on rare occasions but, for me (don't mean to step on any feet here) it sounds like: Well, I only take poison on rare occasions... yeah, just how I feel about it. I mean, if it tastes so awful in the start, why try and build a taste for it?

Uh oh, is that a soap box under me? Oh man, darn it, now how did that get there? Well, I'll step down before the tomatoes and other rotten produce is chucked in my direction. lol

=WR=

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Wild Root said:
No, I’m not embarrassed; just get wise cracks from most that's all. Some don't believe in meat but, I believe that alcohol is far more harmful to the overall human health then eating meat is. I don't touch the stuff not only because of my religious obligations; I just don't believe in putting poison in such a fragile delicate balanced system that our bodies are. Yes, most enjoy a drink on rare occasions but, for me (don't mean to step on any feet here) it sounds like: Well, I only take poison on rare occasions... yeah, just how I feel about it. I mean, if it tastes so awful in the start, why try and build a taste for it?

Uh oh, is that a soap box under me? Oh man, darn it, now how did that get there? Well, I'll step down before the tomatoes and other rotten produce is chucked in my direction. lol

=WR=

I don't drink a drop of alcohol (anymore). I had my share in college, but began reading some of the Victorian Era temperance texts as well as learning that I am far less likely to make a fool of myself sober. And if I do act like a fool, I am woman enough not to blame it on booze. :) I also have never awakened one morning wishing I had drank the night before.

Kaela

Vendor
vintage veggie!

I've been a vegetarian all my Life. All I can say is that being vegetarian is something that you really have to look in yourself for, if you're strong in your want to become one (we all have different reasons, to be kind to critters, have a lighter impact on the environment, anti-corporation, and of course health!) It just takes a little thinking, because change isn't easy, when you're in a world where it's all burgers and bacon. But honestly, people always feel that they have to work around my needs, but I have never once been to a restaurant where I couldn't eat anything. I've been with people who took me out to steakhouses, and all meat buffets, but if you're creative, you can always figure something out. I've never had any health problems related to, or that could have been caused by my vegetarianism. I was vegan a few years ago and had to stop because I had a busy lifestyle, but plan on cutting out most of my cheese intake! When I was vegan, I felt strong and healthy and energetic. My brother who is Vegan is one of the healthiest people I know. He just eats a lot of greek and mediterennean food! but that's all really yummy! I have had many people question me about why I am a vegetarian, why I have been so long, and a lot of people who tease me about it, but because I know what I am doing is right and true to who I am, it doesn't bother me. I think sometimes that's the hardest part, is if you live around an area where people are provencial, they may not understand a change, but there are plenty health benefits that'll at least make you feel better while you go through initial changes... if you have any questions or want recipies send me a message! I hope that helped... I never know what to say about it when vegetarianism can be a broad subject! Oh, and as far as being vintage and veggie, it's easy because a lot of recipies can be substituted if you want a really authentic meal, you can just learn to be a better cook and try substituting alternatives, I usually don't like them, but when I want a BBQ, it's either veggie burgers, or nothing, so one day I grilled up portabella mushrooms, and I can have a great burger that the neighbors envy! And there's always the great vintage desserts to impress company! I've even made snickerdoodles vegan and nobody knew! They loved them!
toodles!

Caledonia

Practically Family
I've been vegetarian for nearly 20 years. No problems at all with it. I'm not vegan - I eat eggs from my chickens (no boy chickens in there so there's no fertilisation problems), I eat cheese clearly marked as vegetarian, and I use dairy yoghurt, but drink soya milk. If you want to stop eating meat, just do it. You'll soon work out the labels, and just get a recipe book. It's easy, whether you're doing it for health or for animal welfare issues (welfare is mine). If someone's cooking for you, tell them you're veggie. If they moan, take your own and make the point. If you forget to tell them, be polite and eat round the meat - tell them afterwards (in a restaurant there really should never be a problem). Always, always cater the other way. If you've invited folk round ask about any diet preferences and in particular serious food allergies, and cater for it. Vintage and veggie - no problem diet wise, but you're still going to have to decide what you're going to do about wearing and using leather. Me, I wear it vintage. I only buy it new in shoes, and not many of those new. Never, never fur! I've been accused of being hypocritical, but the way I see it is it's my conscience and I'll deal with it. Lastly, in the 30s there was a huge veggie movement, mostly as a fashion, but it was there. Have fun with it if you try it. :)

Kaela

Vendor
Yes, that's right, in the 30s was a vegetarian movement, mostly in England, and that is when the word "vegan" started. Before that there was a huge movement in the 1890s, but that was mostly and English deal, too.

Kaela said:
Yes, that's right, in the 30s was a vegetarian movement, mostly in England, and that is when the word "vegan" started. Before that there was a huge movement in the 1890s, but that was mostly and English deal, too.

There must have been a movement in Germany as well because Hitler would always say he was a vegetarian. I suppose he liked animals more than humans. [huh]

Regards,

J

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Calling all Vegetarians

I have been vegetarian for over 9 years. I started when I was 18 but committed at 19. Ten years ago, veggie foods were still finding a voice, and a taste for that matter, but today, its easier than ever to make the change.

You just have to commit to it, then the habit will become how you live, and the effort will be, well, effortless.

It mostly depends on how you are going to define yourself as vegetarian. Are you abstaining form all meat, but wear leather? Do you eat fish, but not eggs? There is a lot of gray area, and hypocrisy. Me, I dont eat meat, or seafood, or drink milk, or wear leather. Im trying to weed out wool and silk from my wardrobe as well, but that is going to take time.

There are also some great resources for new and modern vegetarians. http://herbivoreclothing.com/ is home to the mag, Herbivore. Its not real preachy and admits the fact that in modern society, it is nearly impossible to weed all animal products from your life (animals are everywhere from motor oil, to bubble gum, to soap, to movie film). Our job is to make sure we know as much as we can from where our stuff comes from.

I have no problem with eating meat, its the mass market condition of how meat is delivered to the table that gags me. Animals do serve a purpose, but we as people have forgotten how to respect them for doing that.

If you do decide to do it, know this. The first week or so after you stop, you are gonna poop funny :) Then you might get some headaches, then strange cravings, but like smoking, only MUCH faster, you will adjust. I knew my point of no return was when I walked by a Johnny Rockets and their smell of burgers made me want to gag.

LD

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
I grew up Vegetarian, and still consider myself one, but as I have traveled increasingly often to areas where you would deeply offend your hostess if you didn't eat meat, (Greece, Albania, Croatia, Italy, Philippine Islands, etc) I have started eating it on those rare occasions (still never ordering on my own at say, a restaurant)

I'm vegetarian for various reasons: I find that I have better health than my cousin that eats meat (My cholesterol is lower), as well as a firm belief in not taking ANY life if it's not necessary - if I'm in a survival situation, I would probably eat meat of some type if there was insufficient edible vegetation...

I have to say though, you have to be sure you keep a balanced diet if you become vegetarian, because in truth, you'll be less healthy if you don't eat meat but eat a bunch of processed stuff instead... (kind of like people that don't drink cocacola, just diet... diet is almost as bad because of the synthetics in it.)

Faith Rudd

New in Town
I'm sort of mostly vegetarian. Sometimes people put meat in front of me and I feel guilty and eat it although I could never eat red meat without being sick and, to be honest, most people know not to give me meat. The biggest problem for me is that I am also gluten free so that makes life really difficult, especially when eating out. But I never eat meat out of choice. For me, it's more the fact that I don't like the idea of it. The thought of having a dead creature in my mouth is horrible to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy