Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Straw Open Road

mojoboy31

New in Town
Anyone have any experience with straw stetson open roads? I haven't ever tried one of yet. My preference for hats is definitely with the brim turned down. I've talked to some with fur open roads that snap down beautifully, but I'm wondering if the straw ones work the same?

Edward

Bartender
Anyone have any experience with straw stetson open roads? I haven't ever tried one of yet. My preference for hats is definitely with the brim turned down. I've talked to some with fur open roads that snap down beautifully, but I'm wondering if the straw ones work the same?

If you want a brim that will snap down, the other option is the straw Stratoliner. I have one in the Florentine straw and one in the hemp - fairly new, got them for wearing this coming Summer, but they feel equally durable. The brim will turn down on the front on both. Otherwise a very similar hat, though the blocking on the crown is obviously a little different if you're very keen on the cattleman crease of the OR.

mojoboy31

New in Town
If you want a brim that will snap down, the other option is the straw Stratoliner. I have one in the Florentine straw and one in the hemp - fairly new, got them for wearing this coming Summer, but they feel equally durable. The brim will turn down on the front on both. Otherwise a very similar hat, though the blocking on the crown is obviously a little different if you're very keen on the cattleman crease of the OR.
I have the hemp stratoliner in navy with grey. I love it! The brim is not very stiff at all, and difficult to shape. Took me 3 or 4 steamings to get the left side a little straighter and higher with the right side sloping down a little lower. But it looks great now.

I am hesitant to spend the money on a straw Open Road if I'm gonna have to fight the brim constantly, haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner