Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cameras and photography

botty

Familiar Face
Not moving picture but could not see where else to post.

Does anyone else like using 30's/40's cameras and doing their own developing on equipment from that era?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sure. Maybe not quite that old - I use mostly 1950s-1970s equipment - but we've got some devoted old-school photographers here.

Try doing some searches on "vintage camera" and such - we've had several threads on this subject here over the years, some of them pretty extensive.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Certainly!!!

Those little cameras from 30s and 40s are just marvelous. I develop in my home (my bathroom, after my wife prohibited me to use the kitchen). I like to use ever the old way with the baths, using raw chemicals and trying the formulas.

My main interest is in 35mm photography, but still like to take a roll or two of 120. And yours? Enlarge in home too?

Welcome to the Lounge. You will find a lot of information here!

Martin

Not moving picture but could not see where else to post.

Does anyone else like using 30's/40's cameras and doing their own developing on equipment from that era?

botty

Familiar Face
Yes 35mm mainly with me too. I do shoot and develop some 120 as well but I don't have a 120 enlarger.

My 35mm film is enlarged on a 30's Leitz focomat 1C.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Those old Focomat Ic is just a dream! The most fabulous enlarger I played around. I ever prefer it than the V35. I'm still looking around for one... Hard to find.

Mine is a Omega B22XL, probably from 1961 or 1962. This have the option to enlarge 120 films too. When I got it I was just in love with a Rollei... The lens are the usually underrated Rodenstock Omegar (also know as Trinar). For the 120 is just perfect, a 10x enlargement is perfect to the 75mm power. For 35mm, when I want to make a very big (40x50cm, 50x60cm) enlargement then I prefer to use the Summitar from my Leica.

What cameras do you use? Leitz too? Contax?

botty

Familiar Face
It's 'The contax way' for me. I have a number of contax II plus one working contax I and lots of kiev backups. I use them during WWII battle re-enactments.

kpreed

One of the Regulars
Also, check-out my tread on vintage Cameras still in use : http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...Cameras-Still-In-Use&highlight=vintage+camera
My use everyday Camera, redone (simple) for 120 film, is a Brownie Twin 20 I keep my 35mm Pentax as a back-up, but find the vintage Cameras more challenging to compose a photo (I Like that), but very basic in design.
Twin20.jpg

martinsantos

Practically Family
Contax is a great camera. I use a Contax II, from 1937, with Sonnar f2. Very well worn, it's almost idestrutible. And great results.

Did you read anything by Lancelot Vinning, a pro photographer in UK between 1904 and mid-60s? He was just fnatic about Contax, and one of the very first to make really serious work in UK with 35mm. Zeiss Ikon itself got some of his photos for advertising the Contax. I like a lot his work in nightclubs. And he writes very well, too! ("My Way with Miniature").

It's 'The contax way' for me. I have a number of contax II plus one working contax I and lots of kiev backups. I use them during WWII battle re-enactments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland