Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Campdraft

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
Well I got my Campdraft on Saturday. It sure is a nice hat for the money, BUT according to Art i'm a "tweener" between 1/4 & 3/8 long oval. The hat is a 3/8 but it feels a tad bigger than that and the hat hurts like $%&& to wear. I padded it some but the front and back are really tight. So here's the question: I dont remember who said this maybe RBH, but will the hat conform to my head a little better after some wear or will it not? I really like this hat, its a perfect replica of my OR without the musky smell, but i wont wear it if a breakin period wont help because of my LO. So what so you all?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Boxerken --

In my limited experience, my Akubra started out large and then shrunk down to almost a perfect fit. I believe that this experience is pretty common for Akubras. I would be worried if, right out of the box, the hat is actually too tight. You might want to seriously consider exchanging it for a larger size.

What size did you actually get? Sounds like you needed at least a 59. Hope it works out. The Campdraft is a great lid, but you won't enjoy it if it's too small for your noggin'.

Cheers,
JtL

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
It's a 59, but it feels very tight on the front and back. My OR is the same size and it fits perfect, I guess thats the difference in hats.

RBH

Bartender
What size do you wear?
You might have to put a hat jack in it to 'fit' your head.
Also did you measure your head with a cloth tape before you ordered? Sometimes that is what you need to do with an Akubra, BUT overall the hats will fit will some wear.
Please let us know this info as it may help another with there hat.

My hats I got from Akubra ... the Federation needed the tape... but the Campdraft was fine out of the box... I wear a 60 {7 1\2} and that was the size I ordered on both hats.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
What size do you wear?

I wear a 7 3/8, it's just a little loose on me but ok with a little padding, and it's better than trying to wear a 1/4. And i talked with Art this week and he confirmed that i'm long oval. The Campdraft is a 59, but not being a long oval makes it really tight front and back.

toobacat

One of the Regulars
I'm in between a 7 1/4 and 7 3/8 andI just received my Campdraft last week. It is a little big, so I put felt behind the sweatband all the way around. Even with that, it's a little loose. I emailed Sam at everythingaustralian.com about the fit and Sam actually called me that night to discuss the size with me ( now that's customer service ). Sam assured me that I had the right size, since I am in between sizes and that the hat would eventually shrink some. Mine seems to conform pretty well to my head, and is not tight in the front and back. I love this hat and plan to order another color soon. Much nicer than a lot of hats I've bought on ebay.

Justdog

Practically Family
Circumference

Hi: If it is a 7 3/8 59 reg oval the circumference should be the same long or short. If you have a between size and were wise to upsize as you seem to have done then the oval will conform. It is probably more round right now. I check by squishing in at the temples with my fingers. If it elongates in the front to cause a comfy space you should be fine. Also if it is warm out and you wear it a few times it will give nicely. Just my meager 2 cents,:) Also the adams clone I received was verrry stiff and round. I put a cedar hat stretcher in it and wore it everyday it now conforms to my head nicely.

Ande1964

Practically Family
When my Campdraft arrived, it was not a good fit for my long oval head. Thanks to advice from J.T., I soaked the hat in cold water, and then wore it off and on as it broke into my head shape. Much better after that.

Anj

Magus

Practically Family
I Highly suggest in investing in a replica block...(which is probably not what its called) Some of the merchants here used to offer sending you a conformer to precicly replicate your head shape, then cut a cedar block in that exact shape. It really helps with getting a hat to shape over time.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Magus, you are right!! EricH (Lounge name) makes what he calls a "shrink not" that is your head shape, but adjustable as well. When wanted, I send him the conform of my clients head and he makes it from there. I don't remember what he needs to get for one but under $75 for sure and is a super tool.
BoxerKen, if you have access to a stretcher I think all you will have to do it stretch it front & back and keep it there for a day or so. It will eventually elongate to make it more comfortable.

BrewCrew

New in Town
In my experience the Akubras tend to run small. I've measured my head with a sewing tape measure and my head is 23', I'm not sure if I'm a long oval or not. I've bought two size 59 Akubras and both were just a bit too small, though the hat stretcher made them just right. I eventually plan on buying a Fed IV and I will probably try the 60 instead.

jec

One of the Regulars
I got ahold of three Akubra hats at around the same time - two new and one used - all size 58 - and I found that there was significant variability in how they fit. Two were very stiff and very round, and I am STILL using a hat jack regularly to gradually shape them to my long oval head. With those two I've also had to use felt pads on the sides as I stretch out the front and back. I've used steam along with the hat jack to try and help 'set' the shape adjustment, and that has seemed to help, too.
The third hat of the set, however, was already blocked in a more oval shape and fit well right out of the box. None of the three were marked as anything but 58s. Go figure.

PhilS

One of the Regulars
I'm worried about the hurting part.

I am a 7 3/8 between an LO and XLO and my 59 fit pretty well -- as always, a little tight front to back and a little loose on the sides. But it didn't hurt. Have you measured to see if maybe the hat is mis-sized? If not, you can definitely stretch it with a spritz of water on the band and a hat jack.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
I guess i went overboard with the hurting part, it's just very uncomfortable to wear. So i'm going with a hat jack. Any suggestions on anyone in the US that sells them? I really enjoy FL, always wonderful people with good advice. Thanks

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Art Fawcett said:
Magus, you are right!! EricH (Lounge name) makes what he calls a "shrink not" that is your head shape, but adjustable as well. When wanted, I send him the conform of my clients head and he makes it from there. I don't remember what he needs to get for one but under $75 for sure and is a super tool.

Hmmm. This is something I didn't know I could get or even needed and now I want one! Tell me what I would do with it, Art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic